Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:59 am

Going in October. How about you?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by JEStarr
Going in October. How about you?
Second week of October.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
some travel advisories:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...vel-advisories

Twenty-three countries by Tuesday had issued travel advisories in the wake of Monday’s Erawan shrine bombing, with most advising caution rather than avoiding travel to Thailand.

The Foreign Ministry said 12 countries issued "Level 2" advisories, urging citizens to take extra care during trips to the kingdom: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States.

Nine nations, however, recommended a higher degree of caution, or Level 3, warnings. They are Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Russia and the United Kingdom.

Only Hong Kong advised its people to avoid non-essential travel to Thailand, a Level 4 warning. The "red alert" was Hong Kong's second strongest tier of travel advisory in its three-tier system.

The Netherlands is the only country that instructed its people to be alert. That represented just a Level 1 advisory, meaning its citizens should be aware of the situation around them.

No countries prohibited their citizens from visiting Thailand.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: most of them
I am headed there in December. I have no intention of changing my plans. Bad things can happen no matter where you are.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
I am due there for a week next tuesday.

I am 95 % that we need to cancel.

I cant put my family at risk plus the point of an expensive vacation is yo relax , i think we would be on edge all of the time.

I sympathise with the local people who have always been so friendly to us but i cant think of any other solution to our trip.

Todays incident was the final straw for me.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by njxbean
Same here. When are you going? Im definitely keeping my eye on things but not making changes as of yet.
Same here.. I'll be there Aug 23 to Aug 27..
as of yet.. i prob will still go.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JEStarr
OK. Well I'm supposed to be in Thailand for my honeymoon with Bangkok being a stop for 3 days. Is it time to rethink the trip?

Concerning for sure.
Just get a suite or Villa at the Siam and enjoy the food, spa and activities.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Just get a suite or Villa at the Siam and enjoy the food, spa and activities.
That is actually where we are staying.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I am headed there in December. I have no intention of changing my plans. Bad things can happen no matter where you are.
That's a bit of a stretch. Would you travel to a war zone? Bad things can happen anywhere, but they happen more often in some places at some times. That's when to avoid them.

Our trip isn't until November, so we can wait to see how things shake out. I don't envy people who have to make the decision this week.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PHLisa
That's a bit of a stretch. Would you travel to a war zone? Bad things can happen anywhere, but they happen more often in some places at some times. That's when to avoid them.

Our trip isn't until November, so we can wait to see how things shake out. I don't envy people who have to make the decision this week.
Philadelphia has a lot more violent crime than Bangkok. Name any US city. Please don't give into a few terrorists. And note that this attack was clearly not against America so Americans should be no more cautious than they would be in any US city.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
This is an on-going argument and at the end of the day, one of personal choice.

I was in Bkk 3 times prior to the last coup. during the height of the occupy bkk demonstrations. My wife joined me for 2 of the trips and we were on the BTS crossing btw Central and Chidlom stops just as the grenade was launched at Big C down the street.

This last bombing at the Erawan shrine is a pure act of terrorism, sick cowards with no other objective than targeting innocent tourists and locals. Tourism is bound to take a hit.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Philadelphia has a lot more violent crime than Bangkok. Name any US city. Please don't give into a few terrorists. And note that this attack was clearly not against America so Americans should be no more cautious than they would be in any US city.
That is not a totally equal comparison. The Bangkok event occurred in the middle of the tourist area, the main part of the city, a good section. When you speak of crime in such places as Philadelphia that really is not the same since most of the crime happens mainly in certain areas where tourists would not be gathered and not the center of the good part of the city. Crime happens anywhere but I do not feel you have given a fair comparison.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:18 pm

Getting in on the 30th staying at Intercontinental but thinking about going somewhere else instead of BKK.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by greendx
Getting in on the 30th staying at Intercontinental but thinking about going somewhere else instead of BKK.

I just cancelled my vacation for next week. I was due to leave on tuesday . I just didnt feel comfortable with the risks associated at this time.

I love Bangkok and have been many times but sadly i felt i had no other option but to cancel.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by greendx
I'm flying at the same date as well from HKG. Staying at Avani Atrium Bangkok. I will continue my trip unless something big happens again.
Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.