Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by moa999
Makassan was a disaster from the start - pain to get to from most hotels, and the express train not connecting to the BTS
Makkasan has never connected to the BTS, only the MRT. Two distinctly separate rail systems.
Only Phayathai ARL station has a connection with the BTS system (well physically connected by a walkway between the 2 separate stations.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Always assumed those were there to get over the wall to keep water out in case of floods.
that's what I thought also. Every BTS station seems to have the same thing.

Though I believe at Makasaan, there's also a ramp, at least for going up to the walkway to the ARL.

-David
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Though I believe at Makasaan, there's also a ramp, at least for going up to the walkway to the ARL.
Indeed there is. However, there is not a ramp to get to the MRT escalators down when you're coming from Makkasan. Then it's the usual half dozen or so steps.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
However, there is not a ramp to get to the MRT escalators down when you're coming from Makkasan. Then it's the usual half dozen or so steps.
That's how I remember it.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I suspect that when most say the CAT at Makkasan is a disaster they are referring to the unused, cavernous structure (which I assume you've never seen), the little-used/ now cancelled Express Line, the little-used/now cancelled "airline check-in desks", the oven-like quality of the platform area, the massive amount of traffic on Ratchadapisek, no taxis under the station.

The interchange between the SARL/Makkasan and the MRT/Petchaburi is certainly brilliant for Bangkok where covered, overhead walkways can be wedged into any space, but I wouldn't mislead people by implying it is seamless. The walkway, is quite long and involves a significant slope - I often see smaller women trying to pull their bags up 'the hill' from the MRT to the SARL and wonder if they'll actually make it, multiple escalators, some steps, security checks, another queue to buy another ticket, and even the interchange between the MRT/Sukhumvit and the BTS/Asok can be challenging during rush hour (all escalators running in a single direction).
haha, exactly:-)
around 1000m up the hill (no matter if a "walkway" or a street) wouldn´t be considered "interchange" in any of the civilized countries. These stations should simply be built closer to each other. Another such case is the public transport in Seoul, but it´s all underground there, so that you don´t have to do such excercises in 35 degrees celsius at least:-)
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brumbrum
around 1000m up the hill (no matter if a "walkway" or a street) wouldn´t be considered "interchange" in any of the civilized countries. These stations should simply be built closer to each other. Another such case is the public transport in Seoul, but it´s all underground there, so that you don´t have to do such excercises in 35 degrees celsius at least:-)
I think I recall the original "vision" was to have an underground link but it was never engineered, and when they went to look at boring a tunnel they quickly figured out that the cost was going to be off the charts. And they did that classic Thai thing and wedged in a ridiculous walkway. Well at least they covered it from the get-go.

As long as it is not raining - certainly not the case over the past few days here, most savvy commuters just use the street level access to the MRT/exit #3 as it is quicker/easier.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by brumbrum
BTS to Phaya Thai and then up the escalator to ARL.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'd rather do one stop and the hot interchange than go all the way to Phaya Thai
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'd rather do one stop and the hot interchange than go all the way to Phaya Thai
If I'm going to Asok/Sukhumvit then I'll take the ARL/MRT interchange from Makassan. However anywhere else (Chitlom, Phrom Pong etc) I'll go to Phaya Thai and make the BTS transfer.

Going to the airport I avoid Makassan like the plague becuase of it's sweatlodge-like stagnant climate.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, this is now possible. But early on there was a 15 meter gap between the two, on slightly different levels of course.

As long as it is not rush hour, the SARL-BTS connection at Phaya Thai is manageable.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:13 am

Well, I was going from Bang Sue and (as usually) already going to be the last to board the plane, no other option than 1km walk and Makkasan oven then;-)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
A sort of newby question. Without arguing over details - just how easy is the Makkasan MRT transfer to Sala Daeng for Crowne Plaza with roll-aboard

My references are:

PhayaThai to BTS (to Chit Lom for IC/HI): easy but sweaty.

Phaya Thai to BTS (to Surasak for HI Silom): never, ever again.

in theory I use public transport where physical discomfort and time don't weigh too heavily. But in the face of (relatively) cheap n easy taxis, I usually chicken out in Bangkok
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
A sort of newby question. Without arguing over details - just how easy is the Makkasan MRT transfer to Sala Daeng for Crowne Plaza with roll-aboard

My references are:

PhayaThai to BTS (to Chit Lom for IC/HI): easy but sweaty.

Phaya Thai to BTS (to Surasak for HI Silom): never, ever again.

in theory I use public transport where physical discomfort and time don't weigh too heavily. But in the face of (relatively) cheap n easy taxis, I usually chicken out in Bangkok
Some of this will depend on time of day IMHO.

And of course your willingness to do one more transfer at Siam station, though that often is just a walk to the other side of the platform, but it may involve a ride up or down the escalator.

It can be hot during the day, and BTS gets pretty crowded during the rush hour, but I've used it with a rollaboard and a small backpack. Others will have to chime in what a taxi would cost, as I generally don't use them, and never if I have what I consider an easy connection, albeit possibly sweaty journey. Most likely a much quicker journey as well, though the connection at Siam should not take more than 10 minutes, and often trains arrive about same time.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Some of this will depend on time of day IMHO.

And of course your willingness to do one more transfer at Siam station, though that often is just a walk to the other side of the platform, but it may involve a ride up or down the escalator.
That's exactly what put me off the Phaya Thai / BTS link to get to Silom/Sala Daeng. The MRT option is, I think, connection free: also not so sweaty once your in the system
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That's exactly what put me off the Phaya Thai / BTS link to get to Silom/Sala Daeng. The MRT option is, I think, connection free: also not so sweaty once your in the system
Yeah I think you would be better off getting onto the MRT at Makkasan/Phetchaburi. As described above with the walkway between its ok. No point changing at Phaya Thai and Siam (I think change of level too?) on the BTS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.