Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 8:10 am

Hi folks, would there be any problem in taking ARL/SkyTrain/orange boat from BKK airport to the temples area (wat pho/phra kaew/arun) on Friday around 15:00 and around 20:00 back? and how long would you expect such journey to take? I don´t feel confident with buses because of all the navigation only in Thai and traffic jams, so I prefer to take other means. Or is there any direct bus from the airport to that area? Google maps show some 3-4 changes each way...thank you in advance
Old May 16, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fkaway
Hi there,

On different itineraries flying into BKK (arrival morning flight and one at 3pm) with infant and staying overnight at these 2 properties, where I added the closest BTS station according to gmaps:

- Conrad BKK (BTS Phloen Chit)

- Millenium Hilton (Saphan Taksin BTS Skytrain Station)

- Doubletree Sukhumvit (BTS Phrom Phong)

One trip with baby stroller and carry-on's only, the other times with 2 suitcases.
As public transportation is our preferred way even with infant, trying to figure out how complicated the trip to theses places might be and time-consuming, in particular concerned about working elevators/escalators at all entry/transfer/exit points. Assuming that Phaya Thai BTS Station after ARL will be our start point in the city, does gmaps travel time indicate anything close to reality (e.g. BKK-Phaya Thai BTS Station = 46mins, Phaya Thai BTS Station to BTS Phloen Chit = 15mins ?
Walk then to the destinations is ok with stroller?

Thanks for your inputs!

Wanted to share now my own on-site experience travelling with an infant: Thanks to your advice we took taxi-meter from BKK, and also within city so far no scrams and overall cheap as mentioned! But travelling BTS is a nightmare, even for fit parents: In most BTS station there was absolutely no escalator! Sweaty temperature doesn't help either. Forget travelling with suitcase plus baby stroller (as many previously stated) from A to B, even walking under the Skybridge connector between stations Siam and National Stadium and trying the various exit options can be a pain. Was missing Singapore's MRT and air-conditioned stations...

Once again, all advices much appreciated!
Old May 16, 2015, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by brumbrum
Hi folks, would there be any problem in taking ARL/SkyTrain/orange boat from BKK airport to the temples area (wat pho/phra kaew/arun) on Friday around 15:00 and around 20:00 back?
I don't see a problem with it, but I've done those trips many times (never all three as one journey). A rough guess would be to budget a couple of hours for each journey, but IIRC some of the boats end (or used to end) around 19:00, but it's been a while since I've been on the river that late.

Ya, I'm thinking a couple of hours would be good, mostly depending on how long you have to wait for ARL. The other two have better frequencies.

Originally Posted by fkaway
Wanted to share now my own on-site experience travelling with an infant
Thanks for reporting back ^
Old May 16, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi folks, would there be any problem in taking ARL/SkyTrain/orange boat from BKK airport to the temples area (wat pho/phra kaew/arun) on Friday around 15:00 and around 20:00 back? and how long would you expect such journey to take? I don´t feel confident with buses because of all the navigation only in Thai and traffic jams, so I prefer to take other means. Or is there any direct bus from the airport to that area? Google maps show some 3-4 changes each way...thank you in advance
Did you plan on entering these tourist sites? If so, be aware that they close in the 3:30 - 4:00 PM time-frame. The Orange-flagged CP Express Boat runs until 7:00 PM, or thereabouts.

If you just plan to visit the general area, rather than enter, then I might plan two and one half hours (150 minutes) in each direction. You'll have to find your way around, queue for change, queue to buy tickets, transfer (SARL-MRT-BTS-BTS-Boat or SARL-BTS-BTS-Boat), wait..wait..wait..wait. You'll be hitting the two main afternoon rush hours (assuming it's not a holiday): school kids, then workers. Also factor in the heat, humidity and potential torrential rainfall.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Another question; I'd read on another forum that part of the line is closed. Can someone confirm that and, how long the closure is scheduled for?
Old May 17, 2015, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Did you plan on entering these tourist sites? If so, be aware that they close in the 3:30 - 4:00 PM time-frame. The Orange-flagged CP Express Boat runs until 7:00 PM, or thereabouts.

If you just plan to visit the general area, rather than enter, then I might plan two and one half hours (150 minutes) in each direction. You'll have to find your way around, queue for change, queue to buy tickets, transfer (SARL-MRT-BTS-BTS-Boat or SARL-BTS-BTS-Boat), wait..wait..wait..wait. You'll be hitting the two main afternoon rush hours (assuming it's not a holiday): school kids, then workers. Also factor in the heat, humidity and potential torrential rainfall.
thanks for the response. I´d like to just stroll around the two wats and take some pictures of arun across the river (spending there ca. 1 hour) . My total layover time in BKK is around 9h 30m and I´d prefer to take arl-bts-bts-boat. Well, that´s another question, do I have to buy the tickets for each train separately? Even for each bts? And only cash is accepted everywhere? I´m also curious how much should I withdraw then for both ways (ca. 200 bahts return?)...or...would you know any other (more direct) public transportation to this place? Does it make sense to take the shuttle to Don Mueang and try it from there? Thank you
Old May 17, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
thanks for the response. I´d like to just stroll around the two wats and take some pictures of arun across the river (spending there ca. 1 hour) . My total layover time in BKK is around 9h 30m and I´d prefer to take arl-bts-bts-boat. Well, that´s another question, do I have to buy the tickets for each train separately? Even for each bts? And only cash is accepted everywhere? I´m also curious how much should I withdraw then for both ways (ca. 200 bahts return?)...or...would you know any other (more direct) public transportation to this place? Does it make sense to take the shuttle to Don Mueang and try it from there? Thank you
You need to buy a separate ticket for ARL, BTS and boat. ARL will be 45 THB each way BKK to Phaya Thai station. At Phaya Thai station you buy one BTS ticket, possibly about another 45 THB. You can buy boat ticket on board, and it may be 25 THB. (I may be mistaken though.) I have always just paid cash.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Agree with the above comments. If you leave at 3:30-4:00pm, the attractions you mention will be closed by the time you factor in travel time.

But, more than that, for others considering the journey, I don't agree with your transit routing.

Taking the ARL from the airport to Phaya Thai gets you 3/4 of the way (or more) to the area of the Grand Palace.

By taking the BTS, you start travelling in the opposite direction. The journey from Phaya Thai to Taksin Pier may be one hour. Then the boat ride up the river could be another hour.

In other words, your first connection, Airport Rail Link, is the correct first leg. If you take other methods of transportation towards the Grand Palace, you can shave a substantial time of travel.

From Phaya Thai, you can:
1) taxi - catch it on the flow of traffic driving to the west (Ahyuttaya Rd, IIRC) or Petchburi Rd west (from Ratchetewi Intersection one BTS stop south)
2) bus
3) a combination for fun, BTS (one stop) to Ratchetewi, walk to Saen Saep canal boat, canal boat to Democracy monument, taxi the last km or 2 to the Palace/temple/river pier.

None of those will take the 2 hours that the BTS/Orange boat will eat up. And you can still hop on the orange boat from one of the piers up there, maybe taking it down to Wat Arun and back.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamaaina
Another question; I'd read on another forum that part of the line is closed. Can someone confirm that and, how long the closure is scheduled for?
Currently the City Line is the only service running on the SARL, so each train runs between SBIA/BKK and Phaya Thai, and stops at each and every stop (6 stations on the way, Rajaprarop, Makkasan, Ramkhanhaeng, Hua Mark, Baan Tabchang and Lat Krabang).

Previously there was also an Express Service, which offered non-stop service between SBIA/BKK and Makkasan, and between SBIA/BKK and Phaya Thai. The Express service is not currently running, and I'm not certain if/when it might be restarted.

My total layover time in BKK is around 9h 30m

OK, I'm confused. You mentioned 15:00 - 20:00 which is five hours, but maybe you've already factored in travel time? I guess it might help if you could share the details of your 9 1/2 hours layover? With 9 1/2 hours you'll have plenty of time to take the SARL-BTS-BTS-Boat - or SARL-MRT-BTS-BTS-Boat - or some other convoluted routing, trip. Wat Arun might be open until 5:00/5:30 PM, but I think Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Po will start closing down at 3:30/4:00 PM (maybe 4:30/5:00 PM for Wat Po?).

Last edited by transpac; May 17, 2015 at 2:54 am
Old May 17, 2015, 2:48 am

thank you. Currently I found bus 503 from Phaya Thai (or...google maps found :-) ), I´m only afraid of how to chatch it, recognize it and pay for it, since there should be more buses of the same number in BKK, differentiated only by colours, which doesn´t sound too friendly :-) Taxi is generally not an option for me, so it seems that the 503 bus search will be my main BKK activity :-)
Old May 17, 2015, 3:05 am

transpac: it´s about 14:30-24:00 and I don´t want to go into the temples, enough for me to take pictures from the outside.
2LL: great idea, maybe a boat on the way back from "Panfa Leelard Pier" to "Khlong Tan Pier" for ARL would be the option?
Old May 17, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you. Currently I found bus 503 from Phaya Thai (or...google maps found :-) ), I´m only afraid of how to chatch it, recognize it and pay for it, since there should be more buses of the same number in BKK, differentiated only by colours, which doesn´t sound too friendly :-) Taxi is generally not an option for me, so it seems that the 503 bus search will be my main BKK activity :-)
I think the 503 goes through Victory Monument, and out Ratchawithi, so you may have to transfer from the SARL to the BTS at Phaya Thai, heading towards Mor Chit, one stop to Victory Monument. Victory Monument is a massively gigantic round-about, maybe head for exit #3?

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/ima.../N3_update.gif

maybe a boat on the way back from "Panfa Leelard Pier" to "Khlong Tan Pier" for ARL would be the option?

OK, now you're talking about the Khlong San Saeb canal boat service.

http://khlongsaensaep.com/

http://www.transitbangkok.com/khlong_boats.html

You'll have to change boats at Pratunam. I am unsure about the interchange at Khlong Tan Pier. You could get off at Asoke pier and walk up to Makkasan to catch SARL back to the airport? And you'll need to be somewhat agile. Every now and then a foreigner falls into the canal, not sure if they survive. Sit in the middle of the boat to avoid a canal "water" shower.

Last edited by transpac; May 18, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 3:42 am

503: this connection seems to be easier:
http://snag.gy/XPw1g.jpg
I only hope to find the right stop (and bus, haha, hope there´s only one 503 line:-) ).

khlongsaensaep: well, if the Asoke/Makkasan is easier, I´ll change there. Anyway, interesting interchange on Friday evening:
"Come here: to catch the underground (MRT Phetchaburi), visit Siam Society museum and cultural centre, or experience red-light district Soi Cowboy."

Asoke chosen, thank you :-)
Old May 17, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, that shows the 503 going out Ayutthaya Road, which is different than the maps I have.

But the maps I have may well be out of date.

Or maybe the 503 comes down Phaya Thai Road from VM?

This kid made a bus map last year...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...s-system-video
Old May 17, 2015, 9:29 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I´m only afraid of how to chatch it, recognize it and pay for it, since there should be more buses of the same number in BKK, differentiated only by colours, which doesn´t sound too friendly :-)
IIRC all buses have clear numbers on them, and there will probably be people waiting for a bus at this central location.

I generally use SkyTrain and walk, so don't do buses much, but did catch a bus at night on my very first trip to SEA

I was lucky to have a free map that had bus routes on it, not sure if you can still get those of if they make them, but the bus got me back to where I was staying without having to change

I strongly suspect you could buy such a map though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.