Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well,

as Budget Travel forum moderator I almost feel obligated to find the cheapest way to travel when I can.

So yes, I've been known to fly in Biz and then take public transport from the airport
Glad I'm not the only one

Tho after getting stuck one too many times in traffic in to sukhumvit while I was falling asleep in the back of a taxi - being in motion on the train somehow is better.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I agree about not taking it at night. Not nearly enough of a time advantage at night for the 200 baht saved.
..... and you stay at the SGS usually. That's about as hassle free as the trip on ARL gets. Savings are negligible if they're 2 (or more) of you.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
ARL Update

ARL Update.

Caught SkyTrain, subway, and then ARL to catch 10:35 a.m. TG flight.

Got on at Makkasan, and was able to get a seat around 7:30 a.m., but got crowded pretty quick, and it was almost a full house by the time we got to BKK.

Seems most folks were going to the airport. Lots of people waiting to board train as we departed.

Nice part was that it was the Express stock, so nice comfy seat

It was regular City Line on the way to Makkasan a few days ago, though I was able to get a seat there as well. That would be a mid afternoon arrival.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like the extended operating hour(s) was short-lived...evidently not very many people were using it, which given the lack of connecting service to the BTS shouldn't have come as a huge surprise.

Airport Rail Link to resume normal operation hours due to deficit

BANGKOK, 21 March 2015 (NNT) – Airport Rail Link is planning to resume its normal operation hours after its extended timetable has proven to be loss-making.

Board chairman of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Lt.Gen. Tawatchai Samutsakorn disclosed that the SRT would next month inform Suvarnabhumi Airport of the plan to call off the service extension of airport link.

Suvarnabhumi Airport earlier requested the SRT to lengthen its airport rail link service by another half an hour to cater for passengers arriving late at night at the airport. The SRT agreed with the request, adding in March two more trains after midnight that run non-stop from the airport to Phaya Thai Station.

The number of passengers during the extended hours, however, has failed to meet the SRT target of 100 persons per train, causing Airport Rail Link’s post-midnight operation to be unprofitable.

Once Airport Rail Link has resumed its normal operation hours, passengers will be able to board the train between 6 hrs. and midnight instead of 00.30 hrs.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/...O5803220010004
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:25 pm

Too bad about CX of extended service, though it most likely impact me.

Can't blame them for not wanting to lose money.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't blame them for not wanting to lose money.

The SRT posted a 13 BILLION Baht loss in 2014; the SARL is not at all even remotely profitable. And they can't even budget money for maintenance and repair.

Hence the desire to sucker some private company into taking over ("privatise") the SARL operation.

Just found the item, but cannot verify the source; it sounds like NNT but can't be sure...

Bangkok:- The acting chief of Airport Rail Link Co Ltd aims at making profit after it is separated into an independent firm from the State Railway of Thailand.

Pakorn Tungjetsakao, acting director of Airport Rail Link, said he is in negotiation with the SRT to separate Airport Rail Link assets from the SRT.

If the SRT agrees, the Airport Rail Link will get to manage its own nine electric trains plus seven more trains which are now under procurements.

Moreover, the Airport Rail Link will receive an operation fund of Bt1.86 billion that the Finance Ministry has committed.

With its own assets and operation fund, the Airport Rail Link will be able to manage its service more efficiently and will start making profit soon, Pakorn added.

He said the Airport Rail Link planned to obtain loans for Bt5.152 billion to buy more trains for the third and fourth lots of procurements. The procurements would be completed in 2031.

He added that the Airport Rail Link services will be expanded from Phayathai station to Don Mueang airport and from the Suvarnabhumi station to the U-Tapao airport and the company will hire 400 more personnel.

Last year, Airport Rail Link had a total expenditure of Bt900 million because it had to buy spare parts for maintenance while its income was Bt535 million. So, its operation saw a loss of Bt365 million.

Pakorn said Airport Rail Link decided to stop its service from midnight to 00:30 am after it found that there were only 20 passengers per trip in the period. The cancellation of the service after midnight would begin on April 1.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
He added that the Airport Rail Link services will be expanded from Phayathai station to Don Mueang airport and from the Suvarnabhumi station to the U-Tapao airport and the company will hire 400 more personnel.

Last year, Airport Rail Link had a total expenditure of Bt900 million because it had to buy spare parts for maintenance while its income was Bt535 million. So, its operation saw a loss of Bt365 million.
Don Mueang maybe, those LCC types will be happy to jump on an inexpensive ride to town.

U-Tapao

I've seen this before, but they will NEVER cover the cost of building the line @:-)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is currently a Military Dictatorship here; and the Military/Privy Council more less runs the country regardless of elections or politicians, as it has done since the 1930's.

The Royal Thai Air Force owns DMK.

The Royal Thai Navy owns UTP.

'Nuff said.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
ARL/BTS with baby stroller

Hi there,

On different itineraries flying into BKK (arrival morning flight and one at 3pm) with infant and staying overnight at these 2 properties, where I added the closest BTS station according to gmaps:

- Conrad BKK (BTS Phloen Chit)

- Millenium Hilton (Saphan Taksin BTS Skytrain Station)

- Doubletree Sukhumvit (BTS Phrom Phong)

One trip with baby stroller and carry-on's only, the other times with 2 suitcases.
As public transportation is our preferred way even with infant, trying to figure out how complicated the trip to theses places might be and time-consuming, in particular concerned about working elevators/escalators at all entry/transfer/exit points. Assuming that Phaya Thai BTS Station after ARL will be our start point in the city, does gmaps travel time indicate anything close to reality (e.g. BKK-Phaya Thai BTS Station = 46mins, Phaya Thai BTS Station to BTS Phloen Chit = 15mins ?
Walk then to the destinations is ok with stroller?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:58 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by fkaway
As public transportation is our preferred way even with infant, trying to figure out how complicated the trip to theses places might be and time-consuming, in particular concerned about working elevators/escalators at all entry/transfer/exit points. Assuming that Phaya Thai BTS Station after ARL will be our start point in the city, does gmaps travel time indicate anything close to reality (e.g. BKK-Phaya Thai BTS Station = 46mins, Phaya Thai BTS Station to BTS Phloen Chit = 15mins ?
Walk then to the destinations is ok with stroller?

Thanks for your inputs!
I understand your preferred way to go is by transit. But, when you multiply the fares by three, you may be spending more on transit than on a taxi.

And, it's hot, hot, hot. Taxis are air con.

I'm just saying......
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
No down escalator at saphan thaksin no elevator and only one partial up escalator. Don't know about the other stations but down escalators are rare and o ly some stations have up ones.

Have u been on public transport in Bangkok? While I hate arguing with taxi drivers to turn on the meter I'd think twice about extremely crowded trains with a baby never mind luggage.

Good luck ah just saw Sean's comment and agree completely
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:30 am

Listen to those guys ^^^, just take taxis, & avoid Rush Hrs which start earlier in the afternoon than you might expect. Taxis are cheap. Just make sure they will flip the meter before you get in. A taxi from the airport all the way to say, the Conrad is only around 200B ($6) meter-wise. Here's some taxi apps: Grab Taxi https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...assenger&hl=en .........Easy Taxi - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...easytaxi&hl=en
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks both for your inputs!

As first timers to BKK, was actually expecting that traffic/time constraints (terrible traffic in Bangkok) would favor ARL/metro to/from BKK as only experienced in Asia to Manila's traffic and its horrible NAIA T3 chaos...

But good points about A/C in taxi and good to know about rare escalators/elevators situations at the stations, also understood that taxi fares in BKK are reasonable.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Listen to those guys ^^^, just take taxis, & avoid Rush Hrs which start earlier in the afternoon than you might expect. Taxis are cheap. Just make sure they will flip the meter before you get in. A taxi from the airport all the way to say, the Conrad is only around 200B ($6) meter-wise. Here's some taxi apps: Grab Taxi https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...assenger&hl=en .........Easy Taxi - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...easytaxi&hl=en
great, thx, whackyjacky, for these additional inputs! ^
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:19 am

Your welcome. Drivers will try to rip you off & not use the meter. Just open the door and say "Taxi meter, OK cap ?" If he says no, try the next guy. The other option is the taxi apps & Sean also posted a 200B Uber discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.