Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
ARL to Makkasan to MRT to Asoke to BTS to somewhere then take a taxi to the next stop and a chariot to the helipad to the bus station then a tuk-tulk to, to, to, to, to, to then walk the rest of the way.
If you stay at one of the hotels near the MRT, ARL (either line) to Makkasan to MRT is pretty convenient.

If you stay at one of the hotels near the Sukhumvit BTS line (Siam Square/Chitlom/Lower Sukhumvit) the ARL local to Phaya Thai to BTS is pretty convenient.

Personally, I would not want to stay somewhere all that far from BTS for other reasons, and prefer being near the BTS-MRT interchange at Asoke/Sukhumvit if I can, so for me it's convenient when I arrive at an hour things are running.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't think that this is a fair criticism. Most airport rail links (e.g., BOS, ORD, DFW, SFO, HKG) can get you to the central rail terminus fairly easily, but then you're at the mercy of the rest of the system.
Yup. Which is one of several reasons that I don't use airport rail links anywhere (except London).

Originally Posted by nkedel
If you stay at one of the hotels near the MRT, ARL (either line) to Makkasan to MRT is pretty convenient.

If you stay at one of the hotels near the Sukhumvit BTS line (Siam Square/Chitlom/Lower Sukhumvit) the ARL local to Phaya Thai to BTS is pretty convenient.

Personally, I would not want to stay somewhere all that far from BTS for other reasons, and prefer being near the BTS-MRT interchange at Asoke/Sukhumvit if I can, so for me it's convenient when I arrive at an hour things are running.
Agreed. I stay near BTS. But I'm still not going to take ARL because it would still require ARL to MRT to BTS and then a short taxi ride or walk with my luggage. Taxis and airport cars take you to the door. Public transportation by it's very nature can't.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:47 pm

I agree with Tchiowa mostly, but certain arrival times absolutely dictate my use of ARL, unless I want to sit parked on the tollway for a hour above the Ploenchit exit.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Agreed. I stay near BTS. But I'm still not going to take ARL because it would still require ARL to MRT to BTS and then a short taxi ride or walk with my luggage. Taxis and airport cars take you to the door. Public transportation by it's very nature can't.
As I said, I do a single-connection and don't mind the city line. I also don't mind the typically-late-morning (coming in on CX) walk from BTS or MRT. I travel with a single rolling carryon-sized back and light backpack, so it's not bad.

Ditto ARL-BTS-Ekkamai, for getting to Pattaya; the once I tried it was really not bad. Other folks would rather take a cab and save time; it's not exactly an expensive cab ride through local arrange-ahead services (1000 baht) but ultimately on a mid-day arrival I'm happy enough to just chill, read and observe the locals.

Now, I've managed to get in early enough to take the ARL-BTS once on a late arrival; wouldn't do it again. Rushing for worry about not getting the last BTS out of Phaya Thai (turned out to be a premature worry, but didn't have the schedule correct in my head) and dealing with the sidewalk carnival on Sukhumvit with bags was not worth it. Had I been staying in walking distance of MRT (where the crowding at night isn't as bad) might try it again but at that hour am happy to take a cab.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:29 pm

I don't know if that has men mentioned, but last time I was in Bangkok 2 weeks ago I found that getting from Makkasan to Phaya Thai BTS station no longer involves walking the streets. There is a flyover connection now. For me more than good enough as I only travel with hand luggage.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel

I stayed at VIE Hotel at the Ratchathewi BTS stop my last stay. ARL to Phaya Thai. one stop of the BTS, boom, right there. Also travel with a carryon + backpack, so the walk's easy. I think I've found my new favorite hotel in Bangkok, especially since you're also a quick stroll from Saphan Hua Chang pier.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:20 pm

"Ditto ARL-BTS-Ekkamai, for getting to Pattaya; the once I tried it was really not bad. Other folks would rather take a cab and save time; it's not exactly an expensive cab ride through local arrange-ahead services (1000 baht) but ultimately on a mid-day arrival I'm happy enough to just chill, read and observe the locals"........................... Why go to Ekkamai ? They have buses from BKK directly to Pattaya and Jomtien every 2 hrs and they drop you at your hotel - 250B (https://www.belltravelservice.com/pa...dTransfer.aspx).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
"Ditto ARL-BTS-Ekkamai, for getting to Pattaya; the once I tried it was really not bad. Other folks would rather take a cab and save time; it's not exactly an expensive cab ride through local arrange-ahead services (1000 baht) but ultimately on a mid-day arrival I'm happy enough to just chill, read and observe the locals"........................... Why go to Ekkamai ? They have buses from BKK directly to Pattaya and Jomtien every 2 hrs and they drop you at your hotel - 250B (https://www.belltravelservice.com/pa...dTransfer.aspx).
The other company going to Jomtien runs even every hour. The airport is on the way from Ekkamai to Pattaya and already out of the heavy traffic. You would waste a lot of time.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
The other company going to Jomtien runs even every hour. The airport is on the way from Ekkamai to Pattaya and already out of the heavy traffic. You would waste a lot of time.
The one I took to Jomtien ran every 2hrs on the odd #s. The one to PTY runs on the evens. Wait there's a 3rd bus the 389 that runs every hr to PTY and it's 134B - http://www.airportpattayabus.com/suv...dule-timetable
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by tg911
Well i always get a flight that arrives at 06:O5 AM and catch the first Express to Makkasan.
Think they will lose another customer if the Express only run's from 10am to 10pm from 1 September.
Seems this service is doomed unless they change it to stop twice as already mentioned,but reworking of the track layout is needed so that not likely to ever happen.
The funding (18m baht) for connecting the Express track (which terminates at Makkasan) and the Cityline track on the east side of Makkasan Terminal was allocated 2 years ago. Finally, the SRT is going to tender this project next month as a priority. This shows you what needs to be done;

It was a major design flaw when the ARL was first built. It will only take less than two months to do. Once installed only one Express service will run from Phaya Thai will a stop at Makkasan. (The CAT check in is being closed down as less than 200 people a month were using it)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I don't know if that has men mentioned, but last time I was in Bangkok 2 weeks ago I found that getting from Makkasan to Phaya Thai BTS station no longer involves walking the streets. There is a flyover connection now. For me more than good enough as I only travel with hand luggage.
You seem confused.

I think that you mean Makkasan ARL and Phectaburi MRT station, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-...rrent_new.aspx

That pedestrian link finally opened in Sept 2013. Some 3 yrs after the ARL opened.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Yeah, I've thought about trying one of the direct busses. If heading to Pattaya mid-day, I'm usually in no rush and may stop somewhere for lunch on the way to Ekkamai.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't think that this is a fair criticism. Most airport rail links (e.g., BOS, ORD, DFW, SFO, HKG) can get you to the central rail terminus fairly easily, but then you're at the mercy of the rest of the system. Bangkok's rail systems aren't all encompassing anyway, so that isn't really anything new. That's actually the real problem. It's inconvenient to get to the MO by public transportation, for example, regardless of where you start. The ARL doesn't make it any worse. And the airport is relatively far from the city center.
There is no doubt that the SRTET doesn't run the ARL as well as it should - part of the wider problem of the SRT and financial constraints with how their financial model has been established by MoF - it is very similar to both the BTSC and BMCL not being able to purchase new rolling stock in time due to being heavily indebted and paying off loans (in the BMCL case they are still not able to purchase new rolling stock even though there is significant peak hr overcrowding on the MRT)

However, the ARL is too successful is some respects with over 50k using it a day on average. It is so popular that overcrowding has been a major problem for the last 2 years. Nearly, 2 years ago the MOT allocated funds to purchase 7 new 4 car sets of rolling stock. (Still to be ordered). The big mistake in the original business plan was the emphasis from day one on the Express (using the HK Airport Express as a model). The reality was always going to be that the Express would have limited pax (the two Express services have never had more than 5k pax a day) and that the emphasis should have been more on the Cityline. (instead of the 5 Cityline, 4 Express train mix it should have been perhaps 7 Cityline and 3 Express)

The always planned link to DMK was advanced timeframe wise once the previous govt implemented the 2 airport policy in April 2012. Though the previous Transport Minister stated that the ext was a priority and would start in 2013 it became a victim of the 7 month political turmoil. However, the NCPO has said that they will fund it and it should start work on it by early next year (all going well). That would mean a 2019 opening which is actually what the original timeframe envisaged

The Makkasan Terminal (CAT) often gets derided for being too big and a waste. Some criticism is valid - especially on the CAT check in. However, most people don't see the long term picture with the Makkasan railyard redevelopment building an mini city and the fact that the future Eastern High Speed line will use it as a terminus. In 10-20 years the Terminal will be surrounded by offices, a convention center, retail and condos all linked by a loop monorail. So the size is appropriate for future needs.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
(The CAT check in is being closed down as less than 200 people a month were using it)
No kidding, the place was downright sepulchral when I went through there in 2013.

However, the ARL is too successful is some respects with over 50k using it a day on average. It is so popular that overcrowding has been a major problem for the last 2 years. Nearly, 2 years ago the MOT allocated funds to purchase 7 new 4 car sets of rolling stock. (Still to be ordered). The big mistake in the original business plan was the emphasis from day one on the Express (using the HK Airport Express as a model). The reality was always going to be that the Express would have limited pax (the two Express services have never had more than 5k pax a day) and that the emphasis should have been more on the Cityline. (instead of the 5 Cityline, 4 Express train mix it should have been perhaps 7 Cityline and 3 Express)
Yeah, that makes more sense. I personally take the Cityline because the Express doesn't save much time.

However, most people don't see the long term picture with the Makkasan railyard redevelopment building an mini city and the fact that the future Eastern High Speed line will use it as a terminus. In 10-20 years the Terminal will be surrounded by offices, a convention center, retail and condos all linked by a loop monorail. So the size is appropriate for future needs.
Huh. Interesting.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:01 am

You seem confused.

I think that you mean Makkasan ARL and Phectaburi MRT station, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-...rrent_new.aspx

That pedestrian link finally opened in Sept 2013. Some 3 yrs after the ARL opened.
Yes sorry. I was using google maps to get the location names and got confused there. You are right. It is Petchaburi MRT station
To me is was just the subway and the sky train, I was not familiar with the proper abbreviations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.