Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Getting on at Phaya Thai it's not bad if you don't mind being a bit assertive about the space; given how full some of the city line trains get, getting on with bags at Makkasan for the city line would sound less than fun to me.
On the contrary, boarding at Phaya Thai is fine as it is the originating station so as long as you are there when the train doors open for boarding - even at peak hour - you are almost certain to get a seat. Boarding at Ratchaprarop & Makkasan almost certainly means you won't get a seat esp at peak hours.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
This is incorrect. Every BTS station has at least one, mostly two, escalator from street level to concourse level and ALL stations have an escalator from concourse level to the platform so there is no need to use the 30+ stairs except for fitness reasons.
(Which was not the case back in the early 00s when only around 40% of the current escalators were installed)

However, going down from platform to concourse level will always involve using stairs (aside from the new stations beyond WWY which have lifts at the platform level). Concourse to street level will also involve using stairs except for those stations with a lift or those many will links to shopping centers/buildings.
Really ? On both sides of the street ? This is very surprising to me as I never seem to be able to find them and I've taken 100s of trips. The elevators always seem to be locked up or non functional.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
On the contrary, boarding at Phaya Thai is fine as it is the originating station so as long as you are there when the train doors open for boarding - even at peak hour - you are almost certain to get a seat. Boarding at Ratchaprarop & Makkasan almost certainly means you won't get a seat esp at peak hours.
You just restated what I said; there's no "on the contrary:" we're not disagreeing.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Really ? On both sides of the street ? This is very surprising to me as I never seem to be able to find them and I've taken 100s of trips. The elevators always seem to be locked up or non functional.
I think that you are somehow reading elevator where escalator was written.....?
Every BTS station has at least one, mostly two, escalator from street level to concourse level and ALL stations have an escalator from concourse level to the platform so there is no need to use the 30+ stairs except for fitness reasons.
As for the obvious lack of escalators - especially to go down from platfrom level- at ARL stations, I'll just quote what I posted earlier this year, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...ussion-45.html

Yes this has been a much discussed problem since the ARL opened over 3 years ago - including many times on this and other threads. One of the patent design problems. (I've made the point here and elsewhere that the BTS opened with about 40% of the current escalators that the network now has. The rest were progressively installed).

The obvious problem at Phaya Thai as a terminus station is that there was only the one up escalator for pax so there was always a crowd when everyone disembarked , esp for those with bags. Most with large or heavy luggage use the elevator even if they have to wait.....

One set of extra escalators have actually been installed at Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop and Ram stations over the last 18 months. It seemed to take an inordinate amount of time as many things do in Thailand.

10 more escalators will be installed in the next 6 months (realistically, make that 12+ months);
Hua Mark - 3
Lat Krabang - 4
Ban Thap Chang - 4

When I travel on the Tube in London, Madrid Metro or the Paris Metro with luggage I regularly have to carry my large trolley bag up & down stairs when interchanging or entering/exiting certain stations. I accept that as part of the experience....

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 28, 2014 at 8:29 am Reason: Consecutive posts
Old May 28, 2014, 2:44 am

THE ARL Ext to DMK:
I've updated on this a number of times in the thread. What was a priority after the 2 airport policy shift, to be tendered by mid last year. Along with 2 other new metro lines which were to be tendered in late 2013, this project was suspended once parliament was dissolved in late Nov 2013.

I suspect that it is safe to say that the tender will not go out in by the end of 2014 given the coup. (Perhaps there will be a surprise?)

Realistically, this extension will take 4 years to build. In early 2013, the Minister was saying that it was a priority and will open in 2016 (he stated that it would only take 3 yrs to build but 4 is more accurate).

If we don't get a tender done until early to mid 2015 then.........2019-20 will be likely. It would then be opening beyond what was back in 2010 originally planned to be a 2018 completion date!!!
Old May 28, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Some, like Ploenchit, have escalators on both sides of the street, but you often have to walk to the other end of the station to get to it (if you're coming from JWM for example). Chitlom doesn't have any at all on the East side of the station. Only one I can think of is near Ratchprasong and you have to walk back a ways to the boarding area.

Others, like Ratchdamri only have escalators up on one side of the street. Very few (I'm struggling to think of any right now) have escalators down.

I always thought the elevator doors were just painted on. Are there really elevators behind them?
Old May 28, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I always thought the elevator doors were just painted on. Are there really elevators behind them?

The lifts are a God-send for those in any way challenged in physical terms (whether these are heavy bags or broken legs), but there can be long waits for the ones that work.

Positioning of the up escalators is indeed frustrating, and the (almost) total lack of down ones is a real problem for many.

I was in Bangkok last year with a friend who suffers quite badly from rheumatoid arthritis. I discovered that going down stairs can be every bit as uncomfortable as the up journey can be. Positioning of the up escalators is indeed frustrating, and the (almost) total lack of down ones can crewe difficulties.

London is cited somewhere in this thread as a city with particularly cruel metro for disabled passengers. In many ways this observation is absolutely correct. But in mitigation Transport For London would probably point out the extreme age of its underground system, and the difficulty of modifying access routes to the platforms. On the other hand Bangkok designed and constructed its above-street rapid transport system very recently.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:31 am

I think that you are somehow reading elevator where escalator was written.....?
No, I was talking about the elevators too. I was just in BKK again and got on/off maybe 8 stations. I must be an idiot because I'm always climbing stairs.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Most BTS Stations involve a lot of stairs. At Asoke or Sukhumvit there are escalators, & they always seem to work. Not so elsewhere & even if you get to ride up to the station level, you've still got 30+ stairs to the train.
Every station I've been in has at least one escalator from the entry level to platform area for both directions. If the nearest platform access from entry is stairs then the oppositve entrance is guaranteed to be an escalator.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Every station I've been in has at least one escalator from the entry level to platform area for both directions. If the nearest platform access from entry is stairs then the oppositve entrance is guaranteed to be an escalator.
That's what I've seen, too. But from street level to entry level it's not always true, in my experience.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:53 am

ARL Pax number update:
Pax number have risen by 16.65% for the first 5 months of 2014 compared with 2013. Ave is around 46K a day, over 50K some work days.

As previously advised, major overhaul is progressively being performed on all sets. (Due at 1million km mark but most are now over 1.2m km)
http://www.manager.co.th/iBizchannel...=9570000073640

Still no news on the ordering of the new 7 sets of 4 car new trains! Thus, prolonging the peak hr Tokyo commuter style crush for at least 2 more years!
Sigh....

THE ARL Ext to DMK:
I've updated on this a number of times in the thread. What was a priority after the 2 airport policy shift, to be tendered by mid last year. Along with 2 other new metro lines which were to be tendered in late 2013, this project was suspended once parliament was dissolved in late Nov 2013.

I suspect that it is safe to say that the tender will not go out in by the end of 2014 given the coup. (Perhaps there will be a surprise?)

Realistically, this extension will take 4 years to build. In early 2013, the Minister was saying that it was a priority and will open in 2016 (he stated that it would only take 3 yrs to build but 4 is more accurate).

If we don't get a tender done until early to mid 2015 then.........2019-20 will be likely. It would then be opening beyond what was back in 2010 originally planned to be a 2018 completion date!!!
The Junta has decided not to proceed with the ARL ext this year. I would suspect that the consequence of that decision means that it is unlikely that it will be funded next year before the Oct election but I am drawing a long bow based on many unknown assumptions.

An even bigger sigh!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jul 1, 2014 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:10 am

The Makkasan Express has only been getting around 350-400 pax a day.

Accordingly, and given that major maintenance of all rolling stock is behind schedule, the Express will now only run from 10am to 10pm from 1 September.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:27 am

Well i always get a flight that arrives at 06:O5 AM and catch the first Express to Makkasan.
Think they will lose another customer if the Express only run's from 10am to 10pm from 1 September.
Seems this service is doomed unless they change it to stop twice as already mentioned,but reworking of the track layout is needed so that not likely to ever happen.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tg911
Well i always get a flight that arrives at 06:O5 AM and catch the first Express to Makkasan.
Think they will lose another customer if the Express only run's from 10am to 10pm from 1 September.
Seems this service is doomed unless they change it to stop twice as already mentioned,but reworking of the track layout is needed so that not likely to ever happen.
I think the word "doomed" is appropriate. It will never go completely out of business. Too much loss of face. But the service will get worse as the schedule is reduced.

The problem is that it doesn't go where it needs to go. Read some of the posts where people ask how to get from the airport to "X". ARL to Makkasan to MRT to Asoke to BTS to somewhere then take a taxi to the next stop and a chariot to the helipad to the bus station then a tuk-tulk to, to, to, to, to, to then walk the rest of the way.

Or you can take a taxi or AOT car directly from the airport to your destination.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The problem is that it doesn't go where it needs to go. Read some of the posts where people ask how to get from the airport to "X". ARL to Makkasan to MRT to Asoke to BTS to somewhere then take a taxi to the next stop and a chariot to the helipad to the bus station then a tuk-tulk to, to, to, to, to, to then walk the rest of the way.
I don't think that this is a fair criticism. Most airport rail links (e.g., BOS, ORD, DFW, SFO, HKG) can get you to the central rail terminus fairly easily, but then you're at the mercy of the rest of the system. Bangkok's rail systems aren't all encompassing anyway, so that isn't really anything new. That's actually the real problem. It's inconvenient to get to the MO by public transportation, for example, regardless of where you start. The ARL doesn't make it any worse. And the airport is relatively far from the city center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.