Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
3 persons, including a baby and with luggage taking ARL, BTS + walking in the heat in BKK would be insane. Do keep in mind that taxi rates are very cheap in general.

Taking a taxi from the airport taxi stand to a downtown hotel, you are unlikely to meet any drivers trying to scam you. You will pay the meter + 50 Bath airport surcharge (or was the surcharge too ingreased lately?)

However, taking a taxi elsewhere is more difficult. Just use this rule of thumb: Never ask any taxi drivers parked/waiting for customers - they will almost always ask for an inflated flat fee. If you hail/flag down a driving taxi, you are likely to find a driver willing to go by meter. At your hotel ask the bellman to get a taxi for you; he will ensure that you go by meter.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:48 am

Good advice about stationary cabs, however your info is a couple years old IMO. Bellman/front desk have gotten me rip-off taxis many times in the last few years. They call that predator parked out front. I've emailed a lot of hotel GMs about this. It's never happened to me at a 5* joint yet, but it has at many 4 stars. I think in some hotels they take a cut from the driver. Cabbies will also frequently refuse to flip the meter even from the the official taxi queues at BKK.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Apr 27, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fkaway
Thanks both for your inputs!

As first timers to BKK, was actually expecting that traffic/time constraints (terrible traffic in Bangkok) would favor ARL/metro to/from BKK as only experienced in Asia to Manila's traffic and its horrible NAIA T3 chaos...

But good points about A/C in taxi and good to know about rare escalators/elevators situations at the stations, also understood that taxi fares in BKK are reasonable.
With that many people I'd spend the extra $10-20 and get an AOT car. 800-1,000 THB including all the highway tolls. Good quality car, don't have to stand in a taxi queue, roomier, more comfortable. Seems like an obvious win to me.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Good advice about stationary cabs, however your info is a couple years old IMO. Bellman/front desk have gotten me rip-off taxis many times in the last few years. They call that predator parked out front. I've emailed a lot of hotel GMs about this. It's never happened to me at a 5* joint yet, but it has at many 4 stars. I think in some hotels they take a cut from the driver. Cabbies will also frequently refuse to flip the meter even from the the official taxi queues at BKK.
Usually depends on the hotel as you point out. If in doubt, make sure the meter is on before you close the door.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fkaway
Thanks both for your inputs!

As first timers to BKK, was actually expecting that traffic/time constraints (terrible traffic in Bangkok) would favor ARL/metro to/from BKK as only experienced in Asia to Manila's traffic and its horrible NAIA T3 chaos...

But good points about A/C in taxi and good to know about rare escalators/elevators situations at the stations, also understood that taxi fares in BKK are reasonable.
Agree with others to pass on the rail options in your situation. Bangkok traffic can definitely be bad, but in most cases you won't have too much trouble reaching the city center from the airport. (Manila traffic is horrendous, and in a completely different league from here, especially in terms of getting from the airport to... well... just about anywhere)

That said, since this discussion has turned away from ARL, BTS, etc., I recommend taking a look at the wiki in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...iscussion.html thread, and post any additional questions there.

Good luck, safe travels, and enjoy your time in Bangkok!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
But, when you multiply the fares by three, you may be spending more on transit than on a taxi.
You math is way off

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Agree with others to pass on the rail options in your situation.
Having said what I said above, gotta go with the majority of posters, and I'm perhaps biggest fan of ARL.

BUT it gets crowded and is NO place for a baby @:-)

Adult or infant kind
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On different itineraries flying into BKK (arrival morning flight )...

Several issues: SARL will be packed up full after Hua Mark if not at Lat Krabang, and once you get to Phaya Thai you will not be able to board the BTS as it will be full.

I recently boarded the BTS at Mor Chit in-bound (terminus) at 9:00 AM and could barely get on there! Needless to say we left hundreds of waiting passengers at each station until Siam.

Also be aware the off-peak interval times on the MRT (subway) are now doubled so for those taking the SARL to Makassan and transferring to the MRT, it can be challenging to board as the trains are now quite full.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by estnet
No down escalator at saphan thaksin no elevator and only one partial up escalator. Don't know about the other stations but down escalators are rare and o ly some stations have up ones.
I'm pretty sure all stations have an up escalator to each platform. If the way up next to your entrance is stairs then the far entrance has the escalator to your platform.

Phaya Thai, which has two sections separated by ARL in the middle, has an anomylous set up. The south side of the station has no escalator up to the Siam bound trains; if heading to Sukhumwit you need to enter the north portion of the station.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm pretty sure all stations have an up escalator to each platform. If the way up next to your entrance is stairs then the far entrance has the escalator to your platform.

Phaya Thai, which has two sections separated by ARL in the middle, has an anomylous set up. The south side of the station has no escalator up to the Siam bound trains; if heading to Sukhumwit you need to enter the north portion of the station.
Same for Rajdamri. East side of the road has an escalator. West side doesn't. And the road has a divider so you can't cross.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:04 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I took the ARL a few days ago to Suvarnabhumi. I remember taking this walk before the overhead walkway was done. The connection from MRT at Petchburi is great now.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I took the ARL a few days ago to Suvarnabhumi. I remember taking this walk before the overhead walkway was done. The connection from MRT at Petchburi is great now.
Yes, it was quite a pain before they completed it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by transpac
[I]
Also be aware the off-peak interval times on the MRT (subway) are now doubled so for those taking the SARL to Makassan and transferring to the MRT, it can be challenging to board as the trains are now quite full.
This is not correct!

Off peak times for the MRT are still every 8 mins after 10pm and every 6 mins prior to that.

A doubling , as you suggest, would mean every 16 mins and every 12 mins respectively which would also mean that it would no longer be metro and the BMCL would be in breach of the minumum service clause in their concessionaire contract with the MRTA.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37

It is easier just to click on the station area map on the BTS site if anyone is unclear......http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-area.aspx

eg Ratchadamri station area map, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/ima.../S1_update.gif
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, it was quite a pain before they completed it.
It only cost nearly US$3million, opened 3 years after the ARL opened and opened 10 months after the original completion date! No wonder the then PM wanted to open it given the world class construction ......
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:48 am

As previously mentioned, the SRTET should be implementing their new ARL timetable from tomorrow 1 May with a peak headway of every 10 mins (down from 12mins).

Don't expect to see the new timetable on the website for another month or two....
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
It is easier just to click on the station area map on the BTS site if anyone is unclear......http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-area.aspx

eg Ratchadamri station area map, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/ima.../S1_update.gif
That gives info from the street to the entry gates while my post talked about to the platform, something your link does not indicate at all so far as I can discern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.