Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:32 am

A few updates on the ARL.

I asked someone at the SRT to check on the status on the refurbishment of the rolling stock - specifically the conversion of the 4 Express baggage cars for pax. There has also been some recent updates from the SRTET CEO in the Thai press.

1) New rolling stock
Although funds were approved 4 years ago to purchase 7 new 5 car sets of rolling stock (see my previous posts) a combination of internal delays and subsequent corruption allegations related to an intended purchase of Chinese rolling stock, meant that the process was suspended in late 2015.

For what it is worth, the SRTET CEO is stating that the order will be placed by the end of 2017. Given the normal 2 year delivery period we won't be seeing any new trains before early 2020!

2) PSDs:
The installation of Platfrom Screen Doors has become a priority after the death of a pregnant woman who fainted and fell onto the track 2 months ago.

The contractor will be selected next week with installation to commence ASAP. Expectation is all 7 stations will be completed by early next year.

3) Current 9 rolling stock refurbishment
The SRTET is refurbishing all of its current trains, especially the Express trains and converting seating and the baggage car for pax.

1 set has been completed, 1 is underway and all 9 sets should be done by Feb 2018.

Once done this will allow the frequency to be increased to every 8 mins during peak hours and allow for a capacity of 80k pax per day.

In summary by around March/April next year we should see;
1) PSDs on all station,
2) Refurbished trains - especially Express for greater capacity,
3) Increased frequency,
4) Hopefully, fingers crossed finally an order for new rolling stock.

Of course, by then the dodgy, cheap chinese rail will probably have fallen apart......but that's another issue!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd

2) PSDs:
The installation of Platfrom Screen Doors has become a priority after the death of a pregnant woman who fainted and fell onto the track 2 months ago.

The contractor will be selected next week with installation to commence ASAP. Expectation is all 7 stations will be completed by early next year.
I should point out that these will be half PSDs, not full ones like at the Airport station. Also, it will be interesting to see the length of the PSDs (not really currently needed for the full platform) given that the platforms are designed for eventual 10 car operation! Need to check on that...

Reportedly, they will start with both Phaya Thai and Lat Krabang (both are very crowded at their respective peaks), then proceed to the other stations.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd

1) New rolling stock
Although funds were approved 4 years ago to purchase 7 new 5 car sets of rolling stock (see my previous posts) a combination of internal delays and subsequent corruption allegations related to an intended purchase of Chinese rolling stock, meant that the process was suspended in late 2015.

For what it is worth, the SRTET CEO is stating that the order will be placed by the end of 2017. Given the normal 2 year delivery period we won't be seeing any new trains before early 2020!
Unfortunately, the SRT Board has decided to defer the purchase of new the 7 sets of new rolling stock until such time as the Central Government finalises it decision regarding the Eastern HSR line!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note the new first train time change from 06:00 to 05:30...

No new trains for Airport Rail Link

Deputy Transport Minister Pailin Chuchottaworn has backtracked on a plan to buy seven new Airport Rail Link trains, reasoning the purchase should be delayed until a contract is signed for a mega project...

In the meantime, SRTET has been told to solve the current overcrowding problem by running trains from 5:30am, instead of 6am, and installing additional seats in baggage carriages, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...port-rail-link
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transpac
Note the new first train time change from 06:00 to 05:30...

No new trains for Airport Rail Link

Deputy Transport Minister Pailin Chuchottaworn has backtracked on a plan to buy seven new Airport Rail Link trains, reasoning the purchase should be delayed until a contract is signed for a mega project...

In the meantime, SRTET has been told to solve the current overcrowding problem by running trains from 5:30am, instead of 6am, and installing additional seats in baggage carriages, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...port-rail-link
transpac - Thank you for posting. While it is nice that ARL will start at 5:30 am, the above measures will not solve the overcrowding problem during rush hour, which will only get worse. Basically it seems the ARL has become a commuter service from Lat Krabang to downtown Bangkok.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

transpac - Thank you for posting. While it is nice that ARL will start at 5:30 am, the above measures will not solve the overcrowding problem during rush hour, which will only get worse. Basically it seems the ARL has become a commuter service from Lat Krabang to downtown Bangkok.
Had the luxury of 10:30 a.m. departure on day of New Year's Eve. Had a decision whether to leave from Nana to airport via MRT and board rail at Makkasan or the other way to originating ARL. Hm, decisions, decisions

Carryon only, but still chose the one stop, and a wise choice it was Place to sit, but by Makkasan pretty much standing room ONLY Many if not most "commuters" went all the way to the airport, likely airport employees IMHO. A couple dozen backpackers or so also got off at BKK.

But agree that without extra sets, rushours will be packed until the cows (water buffaloes) come home.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
While it is nice that ARL will start at 5:30 am, the above measures will not solve the overcrowding problem during rush hour, which will only get worse.
Exactly. They need to run longer trains (even adding one car to each train would make a noticeable difference, IMO), more frequent trains, or both. A few extra seats in baggage cars isn't going to solve this, either.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

transpac - Thank you for posting. While it is nice that ARL will start at 5:30 am, the above measures will not solve the overcrowding problem during rush hour, which will only get worse. Basically, it seems the ARL has become a commuter service from Lat Krabang to downtown Bangkok.
Please don't quote me in such a way that makes it seem I think starting service earlier, or adding a few seats, can effectively address service on this train line. I was simply quoting a news article, and trying to let people know that the service might be starting at 05:30 next month.

Obviously, the responsible Thai authorities seem to think that these band-aids will help. That probably says more about the Thai authorities, who have been savaged on Thai social media by Thais for such a lame approach.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
deleted

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 2018 at 1:41 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer

I should be able to avoid the rush hour (the plane lands at 2:30pm).

Question: I will have two IATA-size carry-ons on me (55x40x20 cm each). Is that too much? I read on Wikipedia that it is prohibited to bring "large belongings" on board...
You will be fine on ARL, as it's the starting point and theoretically you should be able to bring your luggage.

HOWEVER, I cannot remember last time I got on the Sukhumvit line when it wasn't so packed that I could not see how you would cram a couple of pieces of luggage on board. IMHO your best bet may be to get off ARL at closest station to your hotel and take a taxi from there - it would be Makkasan station if it's lower Suk, or last ARL station if closer to town center (don't know where your hotel is located).
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
HOWEVER, I cannot remember last time I got on the Sukhumvit line when it wasn't so packed that I could not see how you would cram a couple of pieces of luggage on board. IMHO your best bet may be to get off ARL at closest station to your hotel and take a taxi from there - it would be Makkasan station if it's lower Suk, or last ARL station if closer to town center (don't know where your hotel is located).
I believe he's planning to just hop on the MRT for an exit from Petchaburi to Sukhumvit; Phaya Thai back to Nana/Asoke is a much longer and only saves about a block of walking relative to the Sofitel (Sukhumvit -- it looks like there's also a Silom one which would also be much easier from the MRT since from BTS it would be an extra connection.)

One thing to keep in mind for anyone planning to use the MRT who'll be near the Asoke station is to get an IC card at a station that's not Asoke -- the lines to get a single ride token are pretty much always bad and often absurd. They've generally not been bad at Petchaburi for topping up when I arrive.
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question: I will have two IATA-size carry-ons on me (55x40x20 cm each). Is that too much? I read on Wikipedia that it is prohibited to bringe "large belongings" on board..

No.

I see tourists on the subway (MRT) every day with massive pieces of luggage every day. Not sure one could bring a "larger belonging" short of their automobile?
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
question: I will have two iata-size carry-ons on me (55x40x20 cm each). Is that too much? I read on wikipedia that it is prohibited to bringe "large belongings" on board..

no.

i see tourists on the subway (mrt) every day with massive pieces of luggage every day. Not sure one could bring a "larger belonging" short of their automobile?
所以非常真實 (So very true.)
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by EmailKid

HOWEVER, I cannot remember last time I got on the Sukhumvit line when it wasn't so packed that I could not see how you would cram a couple of pieces of luggage on board.
I can remember, it was yesterday; several times. And the day before. And the day before. This notion that BTS/MRT is constantly packed, even outside of peak times, is ludicrous and people should really disavow this idea.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37

I can remember, it was yesterday; several times. And the day before. And the day before. This notion that BTS/MRT is constantly packed, even outside of peak times, is ludicrous and people should really disavow this idea.
Glad you had a comfortable ride.

I did not venture on subway, but on Skytrain, it was packed even in middle of the day. Ditto when I was going to the ARL, but you would expect that in the morning, though it was AFTER rush hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.