Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Glad you had a comfortable ride.

I did not venture on subway, but on Skytrain, it was packed even in middle of the day. Ditto when I was going to the ARL, but you would expect that in the morning, though it was AFTER rush hour.
I'm referring specifically to BTS and I'm telling you, it is sometimes packed but more often there is sufficient room for body and bag. I use the system often and while I don't discount that your experiences say it's packed, you are discounting my experiences that say it's not a universal truth by any stretch. Perhaps we're just not entertaining the same definition of packed.....
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Anytime that I travel hand-carry only, I will take the ARL and then subway to Sukhumvit ( and back).
I find it easier particularly at rush hour - rather a crowded subway car than the traffic jams.
restlessinRNO and 1flyer like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anytime that I travel hand-carry only, I will take the ARL and then subway to Sukhumvit ( and back).

Yes, this works well if your destination is Asoke. And you can squeeze on at Phetchaburi in-bound at rush hour.

Many variables to consider; I've often had to wait for four or five trains to get on the subway at Petchaburi. Some Thais actually ride the MRT (and the SARL, and BTS) outbound, then turn-around to be able to get on a train.

Of course, if you have then get in a taxi at Asoke to get to your final destination you may end up getting in a traffic jam.

I've been on the BTS in-bound at rush hour, and it's full at Mo Chit boarding, and by the time we get to Phaya Thai maybe one person can board, per door/car. Always queue towards the middle of the platform.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I can remember, it was yesterday; several times. And the day before. And the day before. This notion that BTS/MRT is constantly packed, even outside of peak times, is ludicrous and people should really disavow this idea.
This is consistent with my experience, also. Yes, it can get crowded at times; but far more often than not, you'll have no trouble. My bigger complaint with the BTS is the lack of down escalators. Most platforms do have elevators, but not all.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Unfortunately, the SRT Board has decided to defer the purchase of new the 7 sets of new rolling stock until such time as the Central Government finalises it decision regarding the Eastern HSR line!
Further to my update from last October regarding the decision to defer purchase of urgently needed new rolling stock (budget was approved in mid 2013!!), we should have a decision on this in around 6-9 months time.

The tender for the Eastern HSR line from DMK to U-Tapao (effectively becoming the ARL extension to DMK) should be out by May. Once the tender is completed, the tender regarding rolling stock should be issued.

It is worth noting that period from contact to delivery usually takes 2 years for rolling stock. Thus, even if a contract was signed in late 2018/early 2019, we won't see any new trains until 2021. Effectively, taking into account foreseeable delays we still are not looking at any new trains for the ARL until mid 2021 at the earliest.

The SRT Board has to have some sort of record when they approve the budget for purchasing 7 new, 5 car sets in mid 2013 and it takes at least 8 years for any new trains to be running!

Some further discussion here on the Eastern HSR line, High apeed rail bkk-dmk--utapao?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
I have a 14 hour layover this coming May. I arrive BKK at 7pm on a Sunday and depart the following morning at 9am. Trying to decide would it be better to take the ARL into town or just stay out by the airport. I am assuming that there won’t be much of a rush hour challenge on Sunday - a bit concerned with needing to be on a train around 6:30am to head back to the airport. Any suggestions? And, btw, my hotel is at the Makkasan station.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I have a 14 hour layover this coming May. I arrive BKK at 7pm on a Sunday and depart the following morning at 9am. Trying to decide would it be better to take the ARL into town or just stay out by the airport. I am assuming that there won’t be much of a rush hour challenge on Sunday - a bit concerned with needing to be on a train around 6:30am to head back to the airport. Any suggestions? And, btw, my hotel is at the Makkasan station.
Going into town should be no problem at 7PM on a Sunday.

For the return, it feels a little iffy. OTOH, it's not like a cab is expensive. Are you flying J or F on a carrier that gives Priority Lane cards, or do you have an APEC card? If not, I'd be a little concerned about some combination of busy trains and immigration lines cutting it a little too close, or at least would try to be on one of the first trains at 6ish rather than 6:30.

Cab is cheap, and traffic outbound shouldn't be bad on a Monday morning. I'd still give closer to 45min to get to the airport rather than 30.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Take a taxi both ways and stay in town. Unless it's pouring down rain, you're looking at minimal traffic concerns (relatively speaking for Bangkok) on a Sunday evening and early on Monday morning. Second the suggestion to leave three hours prior to flight time unless you have fast track Immigration access.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What do u plan to do in town? Unless there's something you really want to do why not stay near the airport - lots of cheap, clean places with free transport (I happen to like BS Residence which even has a pool and local market a few minutes walk)
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
What do u plan to do in town? Unless there's something you really want to do why not stay near the airport - lots of cheap, clean places with free transport (I happen to like BS Residence which even has a pool and local market a few minutes walk)
If you've never been to Bangkok, by all means go to town.

If you know Bangkok, gotta agree, the Monday morning ARL will be a less than pleasant experience (ask me how I know but I'm a budget traveler ). Last time in this situation I just slummed it at the hotel and got a little more sleep. Even had a pleasant dinner at their restaurant. ZERO English language channels at this hotel, but that's why we have WiFi @:-)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have a 14 hour layover this coming May. I arrive BKK at 7pm on a Sunday and depart the following morning at 9am. Trying to decide would it be better to take the ARL into town or just stay out by the airport.
It really depends on whether you will just stay in the room/be sleeping or you will go out (night market, dinner, drinking, massage etc). If the former there is no need to venture to downtown BKK (despite that taking to the ARL to/from Makkasan St. is really easy and should not be too crowded that early in the morning) and you should choose one of the cheap but fine/adequate hotel options in the vicinity of the airport (often airport shuttle will be included); I recommend the Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi (rates should be around USD 25-30/nt including airport transfer). I have been in BKK many times before and if it was me I would stay in my usual area in Sukhumvit or Sathon and go out for late dinner, drinking and clubbing with friends in Silom before returning to the hotel with a new-found friend for some fun and a few hours sleep (but that is just my personal preference; I'm aware not all are into that kind of entertainment)
Old May 28, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Further to my update from last October regarding the decision to defer purchase of urgently needed new rolling stock (budget was approved in mid 2013!!), we should have a decision on this in around 6-9 months time.

The tender for the Eastern HSR line from DMK to U-Tapao (effectively becoming the ARL extension to DMK) should be out by May. Once the tender is completed, the tender regarding rolling stock should be issued.
It is worth noting that period from contact to delivery usually takes 2 years for rolling stock. Thus, even if a contract was signed in late 2018/early 2019, we won't see any new trains until 2021. Effectively, taking into account foreseeable delays we still are not looking at any new trains for the ARL until mid 2021 at the earliest.

The SRT Board has to have some sort of record when they approve the budget for purchasing 7 new, 5 car sets in mid 2013 and it takes at least 8 years for any new trains to be running!

Some further discussion here on the Eastern HSR line, High apeed rail bkk-dmk--utapao?
The Eastern HSR line tender is out this week (http://www.railway.co.th/download/25...R3Airports.pdf
) and winning bids will be announced in a few months. That might mean that work finally commences on the ext to DMK by the end of the year.

For the ARL line this means that the winning bidder will eventually take over the running of the ARL as the SRTET will cease to exist - another SRT entity will be established to manage all future 4 HSR lines.

I am now estimating that any new rolling stock for the ARL will not be available until 2022 at the earliest!

Note: This Post graphics map is incorrect as NO work has commenced on the section between Bang Sue and Phaya Thai
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by Yappofloyd; Jun 5, 2018 at 12:40 am Reason: Tender link
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, DL
Time it takes to walk from terminal to bangkok airport rail link station

Hi there,

I haven’t been able to find the answer. How long does it take from arrivals to the airport rail link train station at BKK airport? I know there are a few escalators and long corridors you have to walk. Trying to figure out a good estimate of time it has taken some of you to walk.

Any help would be appreciated !
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I would say about 10 minutes at the most. That is once you get out of customs.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
10 minutes at most

Agree, it should be well under 10 minutes.

The signage leaves something to be desired, that will be the main problem.

I normally just head down, and start looking for signs when I'm at the lower levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.