Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:38 pm

If walking is an issue there are some lifts. However, those do tend to be crowded. And if miracles happen and you don't have to wait for a lift, and it doesn't stop at any floors, it shouldn't take you long at all. 5 minutes
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ten minutes seems fine as long as you know where you're going, and stick to the travelators.

The queue to buy tickets is often long, then a short walk to the escalator to go down to the platform. Trains depart every 10-15 minutes, and it takes ~ 35 minutes to get into town.

If connnecting to the subway (MRT) at Makassan the walk is quite long, follow the crowds, maybe 15 minutes, where you'll face a long queue to buy tickets.

If conencting to the BTS at Phaya Thai the walk is ~ 5 minutes, queuing for change and tickets variable.

Regarding the subway, be aware that over the past 2 weeks or so there have been severe operational issues resulting in lengthy queues, with platforms maxed out and passengers backed up into the mezzanine,
dav662 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
As Transpac says stick to the travelators. Then it would be easier as it is sign posted well. I think you turn right after you get out of customs towards the travelators. I would also skip the MRT Makassan as the walk is long and though it says a connection it is a fairly long walk. The Phaya Thai connection is much better.

Transpac, do you meant the MRT that is getting queued up or the BTS? I am also going there this weekend and hence don't want to get delayed in a queue as only for one night.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Phaya Thai connection is better, assuming you want to travel on the BTS. Getting on the BTS at Phaya Thai inbound in the morning is nigh on impossible.

do you meant the MRT that is getting queued up

MRT (Subway), although the BTS is subject to daily service disruptions as well these days. On Friday, 30 Aug both the MRT and the BTS were shutdown mid-day, the MRT for quite a while, the BTS for 30 min while they dragged a dead train out of Asoke. What a mess.

I would avoid the MRT weekdays, 07:00-10:00 and 16:00-20:00.

The queue to buy an MRT ticket/token at Sukhumvit (Asoke_BTS) is MASSIVE most days I go through. Got to be a 30-minute wait.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

Yes I have experienced the MRT at Sukhumvit. I had to even take one going the other way and then get off and come back and take one going in the direction I wanted.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
Yes I have experienced the MRT at Sukhumvit. I had to even take one going the other way and then get off and come back and take one going in the direction I wanted.
Yes, savvy commuters have resorted to this practice on BTS, MRT and SARL, during peak travel times or service disruptions.

Both LINE and Twitter can be used to monitor real-time issues.

LINE BTSSKYTRAIN
08:12 Due to a service disruption in service between Bearing station and Samrong...

Easily 20 notifications each day on this account.

Many different BTS problems this morning. A single sneeze and the whole thing collapses, feel for the folks who commute, kids trying to get to school, daily.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

Yes I have to do it around the BTS, Nana, to Siam and then to National Stadium and back to Nana. All this in the morning and I hope I do not get stuck in one of them
Are they still strict about the Rabbit card in their loading that they need passport from the foreigners?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
Are they still strict about the Rabbit card in their loading that they need passport from the foreigners?

If the card is registered then you should be able to add value subsequently. But I'm often behind both Thai and foreign folks who seem required to produce an ID - I assume their cards are previously un-registered but who knows - switch lines if possible.

All of my cards are registered so no issues for me recently.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Many different BTS problems this morning.

I could tell it was bad this morning, but not sure I've ever seen lines all the way down to the street and along the block.

BTS Backup: Disruption leads to epic Thursday morning queues outside stations (Video)

The groans were audible this morning from those first seeing the line to enter BTS On Nut stretching down the stairs and block.

Despite an announcement from the Bangkok train operator that an unspecified system fault between BTS Bearing and Samrong had been fixed as of about 9am, people were still flocking to social media to complain that queues were still hopelessly long at multiple stations.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bts...tations-video/
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
The queue to buy an MRT ticket/token at Sukhumvit (Asoke_BTS) is MASSIVE most days I go through. Got to be a 30-minute wait.
What's the deal here? 3 machines, all touch screen, right? Seems like more people need Rabbit cards or they need to install more "ticketing" machines, right?

I'm not an MRT person, so I'm not really familiar with this station or the massive ticketing queues, but I've never waited more than 5 minutes trying to get a single ride ticket on the BTS. Of course most of those are not touch screen, so I think the "Press 22 baht button" machine works much quicker.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
What's the deal here? 3 machines, all touch screen, right? Seems like more people need Rabbit cards or they need to install more "ticketing" machines, right?

I'm not an MRT person, so I'm not really familiar with this station or the massive ticketing queues, but I've never waited more than 5 minutes trying to get a single ride ticket on the BTS. Of course most of those are not touch screen, so I think the "Press 22 baht button" machine works much quicker.
No clue, I don't stop to ask.

Rabbit cards, of course, do not work on the MRT. The MRT has their own stored value card.

The MRT platform queues have become legend lately.

BTS ticket lines can be quite lengthy, at certain stations at certain times. Five minutes may be the average, but today, at Asoke it might be 25 minutes. It's challenging for card users to even get through the masses to the ticket gates. During peak hours they have separate pop-up desks selling single ride tickets.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Thinking of taking the ARL to Phaya Thai then change to BTS to Phrom Pong station where my hotel is
is this an advisable option on a Friday afternoon(hopefully before 4-5pm)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by teo1991
Thinking of taking the ARL to Phaya Thai then change to BTS to Phrom Pong station where my hotel is
This is a reasonable option in my opinion, but you may well have to stand. It will take you an hour. I have done this, going to the Hilton Sukhumvit. If you have a lot of luggage, you should probably take a taxi, although traffic may be bad.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teo1991
I'd take a taxi, AoT or GrabCar, come down Ekkamai (Sukhumvit Soi 63) or cutover to Thong Lor/Soi 55. Traffic might become an issue as you approach Sukhumvit, but you don't have to go too far. Friday afternoons are easily the worst time to commute.

Via the SARL/BTS by the time you queue for two tickets, walking up, down, around it's going to take closer to 2 hours. Then you have to walk down 42 to get to the hotel. If it's raining, maybe float/paddle? It rained quite hard yesterday at 4;00 PM. Heck, it's still raining now.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:06 pm

When does the first Airport Rail Link train departs from downtown to BKK? Most general websites say 6:00am, but the Srtet website says the first train departs Makkasan at 5:34am.

Airport Rail Link

The Srtet website is reliable, correct?

Also, if my TG flight for Taipei departs at 8:15am (economy; no TG or Star Alliance status) on a Wed, can I make it if I board:
(1) 5:34am train, or
(2) 6:02am train (just in case the trains really don't begin service till 6am)?

I am assuming that I won't time for lounge. Perhaps a little, depending on the situation. Is immigration for exiting the country horrendous?

From your experience, which gates will such a flight depart at?

Thanks for your guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.