Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by macabus
I walked past this exact spot at Siam Paragon just a few hours before the bombs went off.

Last month I was in Paris very close to the Charlie Hebdo attack.

Hope I'm not bringing bad luck to these places...
I went to eat at central world last night. Got off the BTS at Siam station a bit after 7:30 as I was meeting someone at 8 pm. Heard a bunch of sirens while going into Central world but didnt think anything of it until I heard about the explosions later.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
The show goes on at rouble-hit Tiffany's: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...le-hit-tiffany

Falling Russian tourist arrivals have significantly hurt the entertainment industry in Pattaya, forcing operators to shift their focus to other groups, particularly Chinese visitors.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ina-loan-offer

This plan has nothing to do with pax traffic and appears solely aimed at opening up markets for Chinese goods.... and all at Thailand's expense.

Just sad.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Headline: SCB rules out arson, plays down damage

First sentence: Siam Commercial Bank has yet to determine the cause of the fire that broke out on the 10th floor of its head office on Saturday but said it was unlikely arson.

Oooooo K.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ys-down-damage
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 Thai carriers to share new terminal

Thai Airways International (THAI) and Bangkok Airways may have the planned new passenger terminal at Suvarnabhumi airport all to themselves. That idea was adopted as part of the modified expansion of...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-for-airlines

Backgrounder from 22 Jan. 2015:

Airports of Thailand approves expansion plans at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Plans to build a second terminal building and reserve runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok have been approved by the airport operator Airports of Thailand (AoT). The Bangkok Post reports that the project will cost approximately THB48bn (US$1.47bn) with THB28bn (US$860m) set aside for the new passenger terminal and THB20bn (US$610m) for the reserve runway.

The second terminal building will cover approximately 870,000ft2 and will allow the airport to handle an extra 20 million passengers a year. The four-storey building will also have a car park with space for up to 3,000 cars. It will be connected to the main airport via a monorail system.

Prasong Phunthanet, board chairman for AoT, said, “Both projects are deemed urgent and are not included in the second phase of Suvarnabhumi airport's development plan. The reserve runway will be completed in 2017 to accommodate increases in flight numbers, or to be used when the first and second runways undergo major repairs in the future.

“The new terminal building will solve congestion at the airport. When completed in 2019, Suvarnabhumi airport will be able to support 65 million passengers a year.”

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...evamp-projects
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, NZ, A3*G, OW
Originally Posted by transpac
2 Thai carriers to share new terminal

Thai Airways International (THAI) and Bangkok Airways may have the planned new passenger terminal at Suvarnabhumi airport all to themselves. That idea was adopted as part of the modified expansion of...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-for-airlines

Backgrounder from 22 Jan. 2015:

Airports of Thailand approves expansion plans at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Plans to build a second terminal building and reserve runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok have been approved by the airport operator Airports of Thailand (AoT). The Bangkok Post reports that the project will cost approximately THB48bn (US$1.47bn) with THB28bn (US$860m) set aside for the new passenger terminal and THB20bn (US$610m) for the reserve runway.

The second terminal building will cover approximately 870,000ft2 and will allow the airport to handle an extra 20 million passengers a year. The four-storey building will also have a car park with space for up to 3,000 cars. It will be connected to the main airport via a monorail system.

Prasong Phunthanet, board chairman for AoT, said, “Both projects are deemed urgent and are not included in the second phase of Suvarnabhumi airport's development plan. The reserve runway will be completed in 2017 to accommodate increases in flight numbers, or to be used when the first and second runways undergo major repairs in the future.

“The new terminal building will solve congestion at the airport. When completed in 2019, Suvarnabhumi airport will be able to support 65 million passengers a year.”

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...evamp-projects
Not holding my breath that it will be guaranteed by then...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Civil aviation chief assures high safety standard

February 10, 2015

Department of Civil Aviation today commented on the possibility that the country’s air safety standard could be downgraded by the International Civil Aviation Organisation after Thailand failed to resolve its issues of concern.

He said ICAO would officially release a private report to Thailand on February 14 and officials would have 15 days to respond. The agency then will acknowledge the proposed solutions and, if Thailand fails to resolve issues of concern, ICAO would publish the matter on its public website at the end of May.

But no matter what happened, Mr Somchai said ICAO has no direct authority to ban Thai carriers from foreign airspace.

He said ICAO used to raise same issues of concern in 2011 but acknowledged that this could not be resolved speedily due to bureaucratic system..

He said ICAO might have reservations about air-safety standard in Thailand, but insisted that his department has high standards of aviation certification. He confirmed that all licensed carriers met the department’s standards.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/civ...afety-standard
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:09 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
If he thinks they can't lead a ban because of unsafe standards, he's delusional.

This is serious. And, I'm betting a solution will not be instituted in 2 weeks.

If this leads to Thai Air being banned from Europe and Austalia, there could soon be a shift in the leading carrier here. Say goodbye to Star Alliance too. Or would the government then authorize a complete expulsion of any domestic competition.

Color me interested in the coming fiasco, excuses, and mudslinging.

More detail would be welcome.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
To whom exactly does this downgrading refer to?

Help me understand who exactly the "Thailand's civil-aviation department" are:

Are they the pilots of the national carriers, or ground crew or traffic control?

Does the whole country get downgraded or only a specific carrier?

Does this mean I shouldn't be looking at Thai Airways anymore (hypothetically because I enjoy paying twice what the other airlines charge)?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Does this mean I shouldn't be looking at..."

At this point I wouldn't sweat this too much. If/when the report is made public then maybe? It might something as simple as not checking passports/no fly lists/letting too many people use stolen passports, rather than (hopefully) some hings which might lead to a catastrophe. I think they've been called on these types of issues in previous years, but not sure how they overcame them.

Maybe just another example of Thailand getting sent down to the third division, a la slavery/human trafficking.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Help me understand who exactly the "Thailand's civil-aviation department" are

Bangkok Post: DCA defends safety as auditors move in
...ICAO is likely to flag a conflict of interest between the DCA's role as a supervisor and also a service provider. Its job role is to supervise aviation functions and yet it also provides various various services at 28 provincial airports. … the DCA does not manage the 28 DCA airports for profit but instead focuses on providing good services to passengers and ensuring national security.
"Personally, I agree the supervisor should be separate from the service provider, but it is not easy for Thailand because the 28 airports are centred on providing a public service, not profit," [DCA director-general Somchai Piputwat said].
"I can confirm the airlines which passed DCA supervision and inspections are in line with international safety standards."
The ICAO's auditing programme will reveal its result on Saturday.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ditors-move-in
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Wall Street Journal:
U.N. Agency Officials to Press Asian Nations on Air Safety

ICAO Officials Say Push for Enhanced Oversight in Some Nations Has Had Only Limited Success

In interviews this past week, leaders of the International Civil Aviation Organization, a U.N. agency that sets nonbinding safety standards for carriers and regulators, said they have had only limited success over the years in their push for enhanced oversight.
Roughly one-third of commercial-plane crashes in Asia between 2008 and 2012 to some extent “involved deficiencies in regulatory oversight,” according to a report released as part of a global ICAO safety summit held this week in Montreal.
Budget constraints, limited technical expertise and nagging personnel shortages have hampered government safety initiatives in many parts of Asia experiencing growing traffic, including Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand, according to safety experts who aren’t affiliated with ICAO. In some instances, they said, the sheer pace of growth makes it difficult for airlines and regulators to react quickly to changes without major investments.

But the biggest potential hazards may come from less-populous countries with smaller travel markets, according to Ms. Graham. Among the countries she worries about most are Cambodia and Nepal, she said, partly because expanding tourism means “they have to have a national plan to keep their safety capabilities in front of their demand.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-n-agen...ety-1423277278
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this the weirdest thing I've seen here? Not sure, but it's up there in the top 10...I'm sure the Lord Buddha is rolling his eyes...Thainess.

Woman thanks statue with 300 pig heads

A woman offered 300 severed pig heads on platters to a Buddha statue in western Bangkok yesterday to mark the Year of Goat and thank it for spiritual help with a defaulted loan.

Sombat Lekpiam, 59, a Rachaburi fruit merchant, traveled with her family to Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Pathom with two pickup trucks loaded with pig heads to make good on a promise she made to the statue six years ago.
At that time she had promised the Buddha image she would present it the 300 heads if a debtor would return THB2 million to her.

After the ceremony, Sombat donated the pig heads to several temples, Thairath reported.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/...-300-pig-heads
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Evidently even Thais have a hard time understanding "Thainess"...unless one considers scores of 58 and 35 (average, for Thai and Social Science) to be acceptable. Even Field Marshall Prayut has complained that the Prathom 1 (first grade, primary school) textbooks are too challenging.

Pupils fail 6 of 7 uni entry test subjects

21 Feb 2015

Thai students appeared to fail six out of seven subjects on average in a university entry examination this year, Samphan Phanphruk, director of The National Institute of Educational Testing Service (Niets),...

English scores also fell from 31 to 29 this year while mathematics decreased from last year's figure of 25 to 20. For physics, scores dropped from 28 to 26 this year.

This year, the average score in every subject ranged between 20-58. Thai, social science and chemistry enjoyed the highest average scores at 58, 35 and 31, respectively.

http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...-test-subjects
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just when Junta officials crowed about a decrease in the weekly death toll...Amazingly no one was killed, although some may ultimately succumb to their injuries?

Car, motorcycle bombs injure 13 in Narathiwat

Car and motorcycle bombings in Narathiwat province on Friday injured 13 and damaged 20 buildings in Muang district.

A third bomb attempt failed when someone threw a dud grenade at a restaurant on the road leading to Yi-ngo district. It did not explode and ordnance-disposal officers collected and destroyed it.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...-in-narathiwat

Car-bomb in Narathiwat: A wake-up call for Bangkok

The Nation February 22, 2015 1:00 am

Drama shows that govt claims of progress and a drop in violence are not soundly based

The huge car-bomb that rocked Narathiwat on Friday has cast a cloud over the supposed progress that authorities say they have made over recent months in their fight against insurgency in the far South.

More than 10 people were injured and about 20 shophouses and food stalls damaged by the blast.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opin...-30254616.html

Car-bomb has left a psychological impact

PAKORN PUENGNETR
THE SUNDAY NATION February 22, 2015 1:00 am

The first car-bomb attack of the year in the deep South on Friday caused much structural damage in Narathiwat town and left 13 people wounded. It has also taken a psychological toll on locals, and sabotaged the government's attempt to restore peace in the region.

The psychological impact relates to the following:

- The location. The karaoke bar hub in Muang district near the main road will undoubtedly resulted in people deeming the downtown area to be unsafe;

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30254603.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.