Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:52 pm

I assume that Gov & Army officials have cornered the vest market already.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I assume that Gov & Army officials have cornered the vest market already.
Yes. "Good people" get designer-labelled yellow vests which actually float. While the masses get red vests which, owing to some design/manufacturing fault, are actually fitted with lead weights.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly not willing to gamble everything.

Air Macau aborts flight after passengers revolt

April 22, 2015 10:50 am

Air Macau Airbus plane with 175 Thai and Chinese passengers forced the pilot to abort its flight to Macau yesterday after they felt unsafe for the second take-off from Suvarnabhumi airport.

The NX885 flight took off from Suvarnabhumi yesterday but returned to the airport an hour later after encountering trouble.

No explanation was given to the passengers after the plane touched down the airport an hour after take-off.

The 175 passengers, 36 of them are Thais from two tour groups, were left inside the plane waiting for two hours and were not explained by either the pilot and the hostesses.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/air...sengers-revolt

Last edited by transpac; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Yes. "Good people" get designer-labelled yellow vests which actually float. While the masses get red vests which, owing to some design/manufacturing fault, are actually fitted with lead weights.
^^^^ Great stuff that !
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Free Uber Rides, from an email I got.

What goes around, comes around. We hear this often, but why wait for the heavens to decide when you’ll be rewarded? With Uber, it’s as fast as you like. Your destiny is in your hand, literally.

How? Give your friends and family - or even complete strangers - the gift of safe and comfortable Uber rides. By sharing your personal invitation code, their first ride is free! When they take their first ride, you’ll immediately receive one free ride! You can invite as many people as you like.

What's more, we've increased the value from THB 200 to THB 300! And who knows what the heavens may give you on top of that?

How it works:

Invite new users to sign up for Uber

They will automatically get a free ride if they sign up using your code – you can find it under the “Free Rides” section in the app
Once they take their first ride, you will get one free ride
Free rides are up to THB 300 each, and will expire 3 months after they are applied
The free rides will only work in Bangkok
Existing Uber credits remain valid and will be used
after any free rides
Uber on!

Team Uber Bangkok
Note, I have not included my code. I'm only passing on the info.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Storm damage in Bangkok

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...voc-on-traffic

The picture in the article is Sarasin going toward Witthayu. This is the route I have to take to get to work every morning. Sure glad I'm on vacation.

The thing with these kinds of storms is that this time of the year violent storms are not uncommon. But a few hours later the sun is out and it's blistering hot. I actually kind of enjoy sitting inside and watching the storms from the safety of my sofa.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:14 am

Yeah, we're getting a ton of thunderstorm activity here in CMB as well. I can't say I mind it, but it's a couple months early. Last Sept & Oct were really dry too. Maybe the traditional weather patterns have shifted a bit.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another amazing weather day here in Bangkok; we actually had very small hail here in Asoke. Very strong winds, huge downpours, thunder/lightening and it was sunny.

Out towards the airport it was clear to partly cloudy.

Scattered t-storms over the next three days with temps inching back up to 38.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Please tell me that there is typo in the reporting in the BKK Post. The draft Constitution is 131 pages long?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Please tell me that there is typo in the reporting in the BKK Post. The draft Constitution is 131 pages long?
If only - it's 50,000 words, 194 pages, 315 articles.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...tution-of-2015
Old May 1, 2015, 3:33 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As posted by another member...

http://www.eturbonews.com/58371/thai...urism-industry

"eTN has learned consulting company AVCON Worldwide had warned the President of Thai Airways International on September 2013 in regards to evidence collected enough to downgrade the safety record for Star Alliance Airline Thai Airways from CAT1 to CAT 2.

CAT 2 would mean Thai would no longer be allowed to fly to North America or the European Union or Japan due to safety concerns."

I thought it would interest people on this forum too....
Old May 1, 2015, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Garuda and Philippine Airlines have come back after being in similar situations, I think. But it will take a lot of work, some re-trenching, admission of fault (not easy, culturally), possibly re-branding.

Thailand is facing similar challenges with regards to Slavery/Human Trafficking, Intellectual Property, Illegal Fishing, Human Rights, Illegal Migrant workers, Freedom of the Press, even the national Religion is under fire. And the schisms within the society are as vast and deep as ever. And the impending event(s) will further test the backbone of the people. Tough times for the Kingdom, the good times are over.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More shocking news regarding Thailand's slavery trade.

Survivor believes more than 500 killed in camps

The Nation May 4, 2015 1:00 am

Migrant reveals many who could not afford to pay ransom were shot or clubbed to death; special police team set up

KURAMIA, a migrant, paid out Bt95,000 in ransom to save his nephew Kazim, who was being held at a border camp. But he never saw him alive. His nephew's was among 26 bodies recently exhumed from a mass-grave site in Songkhla's Sadao district.

A migrant who escaped that tragic fate has told police he saw a trafficker named Arnua and his henchmen beat Kazim to death. Speaking via an interpreter on condition of anonymity, this survivor said he had heard that more than 500 victims were killed at various camps holding human-trafficking or kidnap victims along the Thai-Malaysian borders.

"I've also heard that thousands of Rohingya migrants were at those camps waiting for promised jobs or for ransom to arrive," he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30259271.html

At least 30 graves found in southern Thailand, and a lone survivor

Bangkok (CNN)At least 30 graves containing human remains have been found in a "detention camp" in southern Thailand, along with a lone male survivor, Thai authorities said.

The survivor is "very sick" and has been hospitalized, said Thai police spokesman Lt. General Prawut Thavornsiri. Police have not been able to interview the survivor yet and aren't sure of his nationality, but they believe he is Burmese.

Thai authorities learned about the camp from a suspect who tipped them off, Thavornsiri said. He would not say whether that suspect was linked with human trafficking.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/02/as...d-mass-graves/
Old May 4, 2015, 9:50 pm

there's a ton of Bangladeshis in the mix too. Here's a better article on the human trafficking camps: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/wo...g-network.html
Old May 5, 2015, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Pulitzer winning Reuters article/report from 2013 illustrates the depth to which Thailand is complicit in this horrendous activity. The Royal Thai Navy responded by filing criminal charges (defamation) against Phuketwan which quoted parts of the article. Good to see them squirming now.

Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings

(Reuters) - One afternoon in October, in the watery no-man's land between Thailand and Myanmar, Muhammad Ismail vanished.

Thai immigration officials said he was being deported to Myanmar. In fact, they sold Ismail, 23, and hundreds of other Rohingya Muslims to human traffickers, who then spirited them into brutal jungle camps.

As thousands of Rohingya flee Myanmar to escape religious persecution, a Reuters investigation in three countries has uncovered a clandestine policy to remove Rohingya refugees from Thailand's immigration detention centers and deliver them to human traffickers waiting at sea.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/1...9B400920131205

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.