Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
That was a seriously intense 4 hour storm last night.
No kidding. I got almost no sleep from 3:00-ish onward. Every time I'd drift back off, the thunder would wake me up. It was shaking the whole apartment. Sigh. I see an afternoon nap in my future (if I'm not too busy with Indian astrologer spam)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
No kidding. I got almost no sleep from 3:00-ish onward. Every time I'd drift back off, the thunder would wake me up. It was shaking the whole apartment. Sigh. I see an afternoon nap in my future (if I'm not too busy with Indian astrologer spam)
On the 24th floor in the Radisson Blu the rain was pelting the windows along with the constant nearby flashes and crashes. To top of that there was a ceiling leak onto the desk (where my computer was charging) and a river of water could be heard between the walls. At one point there was a brief power outage and the power resumption turned on every light in the suite.

You weren't the only one not getting much sleep last night.

If the rain hadn't ended around sunrise the morning commute would have been entirely crippled.

http://thaiflood.kapook.com/view120823.html
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
On the 24th floor in the Radisson Blu the rain was pelting the windows along with the constant nearby flashes and crashes. To top of that there was a ceiling leak onto the desk (where my computer was charging) and a river of water could be heard between the walls. At one point there was a brief power outage and the power resumption turned on every light in the suite.
The suite? You got an upgrade at the Radisson Blu?

With your above description, it seems that the new-ish property is falling apart! Would like to see your review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carls...u-bangkok.html
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The suite? You got an upgrade at the Radisson Blu?

With your above description, it seems that the new-ish property is falling apart! Would like to see your review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carls...u-bangkok.html
Just checked out this morning and I'll write an update on the hotel thread. The suite upgrade was service recovery but there were some oddities I'll delve into that aren't germane for this forum. The layout was quite nice.

As for the 'falling apart', last night was one of the more intense storms I can remember. However barring a conduit immediately outside the room the flow of water is indeed concerning.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I slept through it.

They still haven't cleaned out the sewers, khlongs; made sure the pumps are working. Thainess.

Sleepless night turns to commuter nightmare as floods soak Bangkok

Ironically, Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra wasn't in Bangkok for the storm and flood. He was in the Netherlands, studying drainage systems.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-soak-bangkok
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:24 pm

Maybe he should learn how to keep 'em clear and clean first, but there's not much graft in that, huh ?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
To top of that there was a ceiling leak onto the desk (where my computer was charging) and a river of water could be heard between the walls.
So was your computer ok? That's the worst. I'd have been up the rest of the night.

Originally Posted by transpac
They still haven't cleaned out the sewers, khlongs; made sure the pumps are working.
Similar to the unseasonable torrential downpour at midday back in late March where the clogged drains and khlongs put Suk completely under water. It was shut down to a single lane for several hours from around Asoke to Ruam Rudee, and Soi 2 was a lake.

Now that it's actually the official rainy season, really no excuse.

Oh wait. Never mind.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

You weren't the only one not getting much sleep last night.

If the rain hadn't ended around sunrise the morning commute would have been entirely crippled.

http://thaiflood.kapook.com/view120823.html
That's an odd coincidence....I was two floors down from you on the 22nd floor, same night. No leaks in my room although some lights turned themselves on in the room during/after the storm! (Radisson Blu has some weird things going on with the room lights.)

I was going to go out for an omelet and rice around the corner next morning but the ankle deep water outside the hotel dissuaded me.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 8, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
So was your computer ok? That's the worst. I'd have been up the rest of the night.
There was about a 2 foot distance between a very minor splashing and electronic death. Thankfully it was the former.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That's an odd coincidence....I was two floors down from you on the 22nd floor, same night. No leaks in my room although some lights turned themselves on in the room during/after the storm! (Radisson Blu has some weird things going on with the room lights.)

I was going to go out for an omelet and rice around the corner next morning but the ankle deep water outside the hotel dissuaded me.
There were two lights in my room that didn't have controls and I couldn't turn them off. By an odd coincidence there were two light switches that made wonderful clicking sounds but effectively did nothing else.

I took a quick reconn walk toward Asok at 9AM and Soi 27 was still ankle deep. By the time I left to the airport at 10 the path to BTS was fine as the water was draining toward Phrom Pong.

Perhaps the leak in my room has something to do with being in xx13....
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
There was about a 2 foot distance between a very minor splashing and electronic death. Thankfully it was the former.

There were two lights in my room that didn't have controls and I couldn't turn them off. By an odd coincidence there were two light switches that made wonderful clicking sounds but effectively did nothing else.

I took a quick reconn walk toward Asok at 9AM and Soi 27 was still ankle deep. By the time I left to the airport at 10 the path to BTS was fine as the water was draining toward Phrom Pong.

Perhaps the leak in my room has something to do with being in xx13....
Were you one of the five people waiting for a taxi in the lobby at approx 09:45 a.m.? I was going to take a taxi but when the concierge told me the length of the waiting list, I decided to walk to Asok and take the ARL.

Edit: The fact you knew the path to the BTS was clear might have answered my own question. Duh.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 8, 2015 at 11:30 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you one of the five people waiting for a taxi in the lobby at approx 09:45 a.m.? I was going to take a taxi but when the concierge told me the length of the waiting list, I decided to walk to Asok and take the ARL.

Edit: The fact you knew the path to the BTS was clear might have answered my own question. Duh.
I called the front desk at 8:30 to get their assessment of the flooding since my view was to the north and i wasn't sure how things were on Sukhumvit. They said if I wanted a taxi I should request one an hour ahead (not that I ever mentioned a taxi but it was good to know).

There were some people in the lobby area when I walked out the doors around 10. But I walked out the doors directly onto Sukhumvit because the driveway was still flooded.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it rained again last night? Not as bad as Monday.

Second storm slams Bangkok

The second large storm in 24 hours hit Bangkok with heavy rain and lightning on Tuesday, once again filling majors streets and promising traffic headaches for rush-hour commuters.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-slams-bangkok
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dengue fever spreading in Krabi

June 18, 2015

Dengue fever is spreading in Krabi province with over 400 people having been infected by the mosquito-borne disease and one has died from the infection.
Krabi public health officer Dr Manas Sophonpong said dengue infection has become serious now in Krabi as rainy season is approaching.

He said from January to June this year, accumulated dengue patients rose to 410, with a 36-year-old woman living in Lanta Island died from the infection.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/den...ading-in-krabi

Thailand confirms first MERS case - health ministry

(Reuters) - Thailand confirmed its first case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) on Thursday, becoming the fourth Asian country to register the deadly virus this year.

Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin told a news conference that a 75-year-old businessman from Oman had tested positive for MERS.

"From two lab tests we can confirm that the MERS virus was found," Rajata said, adding the man had travelled to Bangkok for medical treatment for a heart condition.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0Z43QI20150618
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably ghosts of workers who perished during construction, or someone forgot to get monks to bless the site? Time to upgrade the Spirit House.

Erawan Shrine

The Erawan Shrine was built in 1956 as part of the government-owned Erawan Hotel to eliminate the bad karma believed caused by laying the foundations on the wrong date.

The hotel's construction was delayed by a series of mishaps, including cost overruns, injuries to laborers, and the loss of a shipload of Italian marble intended for the building. Furthermore, the Ratchaprasong Intersection had once been used to put criminals on public display.

An astrologer advised building the shrine to counter the negative influences. The Brahma statue was designed and built by the Department of Fine Arts and enshrined on 9 November 1956. The hotel's construction thereafter proceeded without further incident. In 1987, the hotel was demolished and the site used for the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are in the midst of a severe drought, in many parts (central, north, northeast) of Thailand. Some reports say it is the worst in 30 years.

Anti-drought plans in the pipeline

June 23, 2015

Farmers denied compensation for ruined crop; schools run dry

AS THE drought crisis continues - school pupils go short of drinking water and farmers in various areas risk growing seasonal rice, despite a dim prospect they'll get water supplies any time soon.

Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula yesterday said Agriculture Minister Peetipong Phuengbun na Ayutthaya would propose measures to aid drought-affected farmers in a meeting of economic ministers tomorrow - although they would not receive a Bt1,000 per rai compensation money handout.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30262859.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.