Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Lots of Asian tourists/long-term residents in Thailand. And rising. Most of them, for obvious reasons, don't use English-only forums.

Coupled with dropping non-Asian tourist numbers, perhaps why post traffic will only decline in English-only forums such as this and ThaiVisa
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Zip-line rides might be best avoided? It might be safer to take a mini-van, or a ferry? Love the initial cause of death .

Another Chinese Tourist Dies on Chiang Mai Zipline

CHIANG MAI — A Chinese tourist died at a zipline attraction in Chiang Mai on Sunday, the second this year to die in the northern province under similar circumstances.

Criminal negligence charges may be filed against the owners and operators of the Flying Squirrels zipline operation after news of the fatal incident emerged yesterday from a local police commander, who told reporters his unit were notified Sunday evening about an unconscious 32-year-old tourist, who was later pronounced dead.

Police Col. Adul Somnuek said the deceased tourist’s friends complained to the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai because Flying Squirrel initially told police the victim may have died of heart failure. At that point the consulate urged Thai police to investigate the matter, he said. The consulate has not responded to requests for comment.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...sid=1444734610
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:45 pm

I'd feel a lot safer on the zip line than the train to Chiang Mai.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Industry call to ban new flights at Suvarnabhumi

The aviation industry is calling for a ban on new flights operating through Suvarnabhumi airport to prevent further congestion. The Airline Operators Committee (AOC), a coalition of 86 international airlines...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...t-suvarnabhumi
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'd feel a lot safer on the zip line than the train to Chiang Mai.
Yes, SRT trains do derail quite often, like daily, but they go so slowly that no one ever dies. The trains just sort of flop over on their sides.

Most people die at the railroad crossings where there is a mad-dash/roulette to beat the speeding trains at the thousands of informal "crossings".

On a shoddy zip-line you might not have a chance, assuming you experience a cardiac event?

Capsizing ferries are fine, if you can swim, as the water is warm and there are no sharks. But a lot of tourists can't swim, just like those slaves on the Thai fishing vessels who get tossed overboard for slacking on the job.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clueless.

Five Dolphins, Two Seals on Phuket Ready for Dolphinarium Opening

PHUKET: Five dolphins and two seals have already been flown in and are on Phuket being trained in readiness for the opening of the much-criticised Dolphinarium, officials confirmed today.

''The dolphins and seals were flown to Phuket and arrived on October 7,'' said Pisanu Na Aran, of the Phuket Fisheries Department.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/five-do...opening-23406/
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smart lad...can't tell if he's praying, or wai-ing?

Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting follow-up/detail on the above incident.

Again, smart lad...

Why Are Elephants Attacking Motorists In Thailand?

Thai elephants are amiable, curious creatures with long memories. They learn quickly, enjoy playing and hanging around their tight-knit families, and understand the importance of relationships and teamwork. These gentle giants are just like people, too.

So when a herd of elephants round up on an unexpected motorist puttering along a road in Khao Yai National Park, what caused their irate behavior?

This incident, which occurred on a road to Prachin Buri near Km 32, was actually more a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://socialnewsdaily.com/58649/why...s-in-thailand/
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
ATM fees at many, if not most, Thai banks have risen to 200 thb per transaction for withdrawals using foreign bank cards. Shameless rip-off.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
ATM fees at many, if not most, Thai banks have risen to 200 thb per transaction for withdrawals using foreign bank cards. Shameless rip-off.
I noticed that yesterday. Probably has to do with the baht dropping the past few months. Or at least that's the excuse.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...es-rise-again/

It seems like the Thai Bankers Assoc. decided to implement this increase in unison, and it has been implemented over the recent period Nov. 6 - 9.

I used an AEON ATM today and the stated fee (my bank reimburses for ATM fees) was still showing as 150 THB, but expect that might change.

I doubt the "government" cares much as this mainly affects foreigners, but quite a few Thais have on-line businesses, with links to int'l payment systems so they are affected (they eventually have to use a local ATM to get baht, but they are getting a lot more these days). Quite a few complaints on Thai social media about this increase.

I can see this rising annually now, maybe 50 baht each year until it gets to 350 baht then maybe no further increases?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From urinal to the sea

(6 Photos)

CHON BURI - Photos of outdoor urinals with pipes leading out to sea have circulated on social media, generating a wave of critical comment.

The photos were reportedly taken at Bang Saen beach during 11th Bangsaen Bike Week last weekend.

Net users slammed organisers as being irresponsible and causing pollution, and questioned the local authorities' handling of the issue.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/pho...nal-to-the-sea
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by transpac
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...es-rise-again/

It seems like the Thai Bankers Assoc. decided to implement this increase in unison, and it has been implemented over the recent period Nov. 6 - 9.

I used an AEON ATM today and the stated fee (my bank reimburses for ATM fees) was still showing as 150 THB, but expect that might change.

I doubt the "government" cares much as this mainly affects foreigners, but quite a few Thais have on-line businesses, with links to int'l payment systems so they are affected (they eventually have to use a local ATM to get baht, but they are getting a lot more these days). Quite a few complaints on Thai social media about this increase.

I can see this rising annually now, maybe 50 baht each year until it gets to 350 baht then maybe no further increases?
That's really sad. My bank reimburses ATM fees but since the conversion with fee it doesn't show as a ATM fee - so no reimbursement. Ah well, take out as much as you can I guess.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by transpac
From urinal to the sea

(6 Photos)

CHON BURI - Photos of outdoor urinals with pipes leading out to sea have circulated on social media, generating a wave of critical comment.

The photos were reportedly taken at Bang Saen beach during 11th Bangsaen Bike Week last weekend.

Net users slammed organisers as being irresponsible and causing pollution, and questioned the local authorities' handling of the issue.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/pho...nal-to-the-sea
Funny, with all the things the Thais do, peeing into the ocean is an absolute non-event.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
Funny, with all the things the Thais do, peeing into the ocean is an absolute non-event.
I suspect that some of the controversy has to do with the physical construction of the urinals. A woman with her legs apart and you pee between her legs? Yeah, that might get one or two people worked up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.