Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
OK. I never considered urinals were intended or designed for women.

Edit: Now I see the issue. I thought it was mainly about urine going into the sea.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it was mainly about urine going into the sea.

On Thai social media this is the primary concern.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this is local beta testing of the Philippine "phenomenon", or a one off?

Norwegian cop held at airport after bullets found in bag

A Norwegian police officer was detained at Suvarnabhumi airport after two bullets were found in his luggage on Wednesday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-found-in-bag
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though we had torrential rain here in Bangkok just now - that water just runs into the rivers and sea - it does look like there will be a severe water shortage until the next rainy season (May) begins.

The "authorities" have still not issued any outright limitations or bans.

You may have to bring your own water?

Drought crisis cripples Thailand's agriculture

YASOTHON, 13 November (NNT) – The northeastern province of Yasothon has been struggling with critical drought, causing crop failure across 120,000 rai of farmland.

Water supplies are quickly diminishing in the province, especially in the Chi River, which farmers use to irrigate their fields. Water capacity in the Chi River recorded at the provincial reservoir has fallen to 124.7 million cubic meters, while water levels in the Huai Ling Chon Reservoir have fallen to nine million cubic meters.

The lack of water for agricultural use has caused the more than 120,000 rai of rice fields to dry up.

In Kamphaeng Phet province, the drought crisis has impacted farmland both inside and outside of the irrigation network. Farmers are forced to suspend crop cultivation and look for ways to supplement their income.

Meanwhile, local officials from Nakhon Sawan's Provincial Waterworks Authority have begun pumping water from public canals into water retention areas to ensure the continued production of tap water.

-- NNT 2015-11-13
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(FYI, this article is just about Bangkok but I think Dengue is bad everywhere now. DHF has claimed hundreds of lives this year.)

Dengue fever patients in Bangkok rise more than double

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Health Office today reported a total of 13,000 dengue fever patients in Bangkok this year, more than double of last year's patients.

The highest number of accumulated patients was in Saphan Soong district (476 patients), followed by Wattana (438) and Suan Luang (428).

It said that in the past one month from October 1- November 7, 239 people were found to be sick of dengue fever in Wang Thong Lang district, 188 in Thonburi, and 143 in Pathumwan.

It said most dengue fever patients in Bangkok were found to be infected with dengue virus type 1 or DENV-1, and type 3 or DENV-3.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/den...re-than-double
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:27 pm

The rainy season doesn't really start 'till the end of June IME. May is hotter than Hades. A friend of mine got Dengue and it was ugly. Slather on the DEET even in BKK. 50% works just as good as 100 according to Consumer Reports. I buy 100 & cut it with vodka.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
The rainy season doesn't really start 'till the end of June IME. May is hotter than Hades. A friend of mine got Dengue and it was ugly. Slather on the DEET even in BKK. 50% works just as good as 100 according to Consumer Reports. I buy 100 & cut it with vodka.
Actually according to consumer reports 100% DEET is not the best
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ites/index.htm

I never wear repellent in Bangkok. Might have to reconsider. A friend caught Dengue in Indonesia and took her months to get back to normal.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel agents urge controls on foreign booking websites

The Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) is asking the government to supervise online travel bookings more closely after finding unfair competition between Thai and foreign companies.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...oking-websites
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai immigration strengthens screening procedures

BANGKOK, 16 November 2015 (NNT) – The Immigration Police are now implementing stricter screening measures for persons entering and leaving the Kingdom, in wake of the Paris terror attacks, dispatching plain-clothed agents to monitor direct flights to and from Paris as a precautionary measure.

The Immigration Bureau commander Pol Maj Gen Nattorn Prohsunthorn has revealed that all immigration control points in Thailand, especially at the five international airports, have been appointed to implement stricter screening procedures for persons entering and leaving the Kingdom, in wake of the recent terror attacks in Paris.

The stricter procedures include a more detailed information registry, travel itinerary scrutiny, and behavioral observation. Officers have been urged to particularly observe the behaviors of detained foreigners, in order to prevent any acts of disturbances.

Plain-clothed agents have also been dispatched on direct flights from Bangkok to Paris to ensure security, while all passengers to France are advised to be extra vigilant and closely monitor the news and information coming out. The Immigration Bureau will implement these heightened measures until the situation deescalated to normal, says immigration commander.

The Immigration Bureau commander has also added that the Thai authorities had received a briefing from French officials to take care of up to 80,000 French nationals currently residing in Thailand.

He also mentioned the number of refugees in transit through Thailand to their destination country has decreased, but more refugees may resume traveling on this transit route, should the European Union decided to close its borders or carry out more stringent inspections.

-- NNT 2015-11-16
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Actually according to consumer reports 100% DEET is not the best
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ites/index.htm

I never wear repellent in Bangkok. Might have to reconsider. A friend caught Dengue in Indonesia and took her months to get back to normal.
My comment was old news I guess. If DEET is dangerous >30% why the H*ll did the FDA allow 100% to be sold ? 20 years ago you cold only buy 20%. Great article thanks. I'll look for those 2 alternatives. The Kite patch sponsored by Bill Gates is the future in a year or 2 & I can't wait. Skeeters really love me: http://www.kitepatch.com/
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Thai soap opera superstar, "Por" has DHF and is critically ill so there is additional focus on this issue.

PM Prayut urges EOCs to ensure people are safe from dengue fever

BANGKOK, 16 October 2015 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has urged emergency centers across the country to make sure that the public is safe from the dengue outbreak.

Spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office Maj. Gen. Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said today that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is worried about the well-being of the people due to the serious outbreak of dengue fever.

He said that the PM has urged all provincial governors, who are commanders of the Emergency Operation Center or EOC in their respective provinces, to work with the heads of their provincial health offices to tackle the dengue problem as effectively as possible in order to minimize the health risk and the number of fatalities among the people.

The Prime Minister’s concerns were expressed after more than 100,000 dengue patients had been reported this year.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the normal Dengue fever season around Bangkok?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the normal Dengue fever season around Bangkok?
Jan-Dec.

But peak during rainy season I guess?

https://www.bumrungrad.com/healthpoi...things-to-know
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one's got all those things we love about Thailand...

Outcry after organizers accidentally add 7km to Bangkok half marathon

The Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon is portrayed as one of Thailand’s premier marathons. It’s a prestigious event which attracts over 33,000 local and international runners each year to the nation’s capital over the four race distances – 5km, 10km, 21.1km, and 42.2km.

However this year, runners are complaining on social media that the Bangkok half marathon course was not the standard 21.1km but 28kms this year. The 10km run course was also short, measuring at only 9.7kms on many runners’ GPS watches.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/1...half-marathon/
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crackdown launched to improve safety for tourists

Illegal tour guides, drug peddlers, illegal entertainment venues and con men who prey on foreign tourists have been marked for crackdown by the police in a concerted joint effort by the National Police Office and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to ensure safety of tourists while visiting Thailand.
Tourism and sports permanent secretary Pongpanu Sawetroon said the crackdown was launched on November 1 and concentrated on tourist destinations and venues frequented by tourists such as airports, hotels and entertainment venues.

The crackdown will continue until all the illegal activities are kept under control, he said.

Tourism Authority of Thailand has forecast 28.8 million tourists visting Thailand throughout this year generating revenue totaling 1.4 trillion baht. Thai tourists, meanwhile, are expected to spend 800 billion baht this year.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cra...y-for-tourists

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.