Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
There is an interesting development over at the AC thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rtnership.html

Air Canada will enter into a code share relationship with CX with one of the goals to service the Thai market. My takeaway on this is that Air Canada has given up on trying to work with TG. Previously when AC relied on *A carriers on the Canada-BKK routes, one went through TYO or HKG and paid J class but sat in Y on a connector flight with TG or NH. It looks like AC will move its Thai destination business to its HKG hub and rely on CX. (the ICN route isn't a good option because of the nasty schedule.)

I previously used the HKG route regularly when I was mostly going to HKT. It was a convenient connection, although the equipment was tired and old. My connections to NRT on TG inevitably arived late causing me to run for my connection with my bag often missing the flight.

I see this as a very loud F.U. to TG who have been oblivious to the concerns other *A carriers have had with the carrier. My perception is that CX compared to TG will offer a better schedule, superior service, better quality equipment, more precise on time performance and of course meet saftey concerns. All this to be topped off by a better fare structure and ability to credit Ac with the FF miles. The fares when using TG make the AC route less competitive against AF/KLM and Finnair/BA on Canada Thailand routes. The introduction of codeshares with CX may bring AC fares back in line with the market. It is usually cheaper to purchase a stand alone RT through TG than to use a code share on AC. the best illustration is when using ICN as a connection. The cost difference can be $500- $1000 in J if using code share with TG vs a separate TG ticket.

I offer this up in the news section because;
i. People may not be aware of the new option coming. (AC can offer lower fares to the USA and EU when routing through Canada, than when going direct to the USA or EU.)
ii. It reinfoces the perception that TG is a lost cause, stagnating and slowly lurching to its demise.

I have the impression that Thai is obsessed with the Chinese and Russian markets with the zero baht tours such that it has neglected the profitable western markets. Has TG just given up and realized that it can no longer compete?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
If you think cx offer a better product from HKG to BKK you'd be wrong.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
If you think cx offer a better product from HKG to BKK you'd be wrong.
You must be talking about F, because IMO CX wins this comparison pretty easily in J. If you pick the right aircraft, you get CX's long haul seat (Cirrus reverse herringbone). CX has far superior lounges at both HKG and BKK. Food may be better on TG, but the service is much more consistent on CX. You're also going to get a consistently short walk inbound at BKK with CX.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
You must be talking about F, because IMO CX wins this comparison pretty easily in J. If you pick the right aircraft, you get CX's long haul seat (Cirrus reverse herringbone). CX has far superior lounges at both HKG and BKK. Food may be better on TG, but the service is much more consistent on CX. You're also going to get a consistently short walk inbound at BKK with CX.
The key here is "If you pick the right aircraft".

However, I concur 100% with the fact that the CX lounges are better in both HKG & BKK.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kittiyut
The key here is "If you pick the right aircraft".
Agreed. The TG angle flat beats CX regional J. Each time I fly that seat, I like it less.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. The TG angle flat beats CX regional J. Each time I fly that seat, I like it less.
In my j TG flights BKK- HKG, and HKT-BKK over the past 3 years, I did not get a flat bed seat on the AB 380. I did however, get a decrepit B747, or AB 330 or B777. My B777 on the HKT route was so old that it had manual seat adjustments. I also had the dreaded 1990's era B747 J class seats on the main deck, the one where the galley is on one side of the J cabin.
How anyone can rave about TG food these days is beyond my comprehension. The entree on the BKK-HKG route is served on the heating plate with the entree either dried out or converted into a sloppy mess. Seriously, who would put rice in a little tissue cup, with the curry in a tissue cup, topped off with overcooked vegetables all in one small plate. It just becomes a soggy mess. It's bland and oily and might as well be served up from the microwave at 7-11. As for the TG lounge, I suppose if one likes Mama noodles, or the worn out seats or the odious tuna fish sandwiches or the palm oil pastries, then yes TG's overcrowded lounges are lovely.

If some are satisfied with TG, well bless them. I am glad someone is and I respect that personal choice. However, when one of the expanding members of *A goes outside the alliance to select a new codeshare partner on a route that should have gone to TG, it sends a rather obvious message. I wonder if any of the board members at TG is aware, let alone knows what countries Air Canada flies to.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
In my j TG flights BKK- HKG, and HKT-BKK over the past 3 years, I did not get a flat bed seat on the AB 380. I did however, get a decrepit B747, or AB 330 or B777. My B777 on the HKT route was so old that it had manual seat adjustments. I also had the dreaded 1990's era B747 J class seats on the main deck, the one where the galley is on one side of the J cabin.
How anyone can rave about TG food these days is beyond my comprehension. The entree on the BKK-HKG route is served on the heating plate with the entree either dried out or converted into a sloppy mess. Seriously, who would put rice in a little tissue cup, with the curry in a tissue cup, topped off with overcooked vegetables all in one small plate. It just becomes a soggy mess. It's bland and oily and might as well be served up from the microwave at 7-11. As for the TG lounge, I suppose if one likes Mama noodles, or the worn out seats or the odious tuna fish sandwiches or the palm oil pastries, then yes TG's overcrowded lounges are lovely.

If some are satisfied with TG, well bless them. I am glad someone is and I respect that personal choice. However, when one of the expanding members of *A goes outside the alliance to select a new codeshare partner on a route that should have gone to TG, it sends a rather obvious message. I wonder if any of the board members at TG is aware, let alone knows what countries Air Canada flies to.
The comment was limited to seats. Have you flown CX's regional J seat? It is not comfortable.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
There is an interesting development over at the AC thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rtnership.html

I offer this up in the news section because;
i. People may not be aware of the new option coming. (AC can offer lower fares to the USA and EU when routing through Canada, than when going direct to the USA or EU.)
ii. It reinfoces the perception that TG is a lost cause, stagnating and slowly lurching to its demise.

I have the impression that Thai is obsessed with the Chinese and Russian markets with the zero baht tours such that it has neglected the profitable western markets. Has TG just given up and realized that it can no longer compete?
indeed - very interesting news!
but TG hasn't fully given-up the "western market" - western from an Asian prospective means Europe, and TG still has all European destinations clearly in focus....
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
indeed - very interesting news!
but TG hasn't fully given-up the "western market" - western from an Asian prospective means Europe, and TG still has all European destinations clearly in focus....
not to forget down under!
visitors from USA and Canada are only a tiny fraction of all Thailand tourists..and the majority comes from other Asian countries
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
Frankfurt will be loosing it from March, unfortunately....
Is there any information if or when the A380 will return to FRA?

The flights in April still list the A380 for TG920/TG921. Maybe they just did not update it or is it likely that it will return in low season?

I have been booked in F for TG920 in march.
Now my only options are a downgrade to business or change to MUC in first with a transfer flight MUC to FRA. Is the F in the 747 worth the stop or not?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by DevDedication

The flights in April still list the A380 for TG920/TG921. Maybe they just did not update it or is it likely that it will return in low season?

Now my only options are a downgrade to business or change to MUC in first with a transfer flight MUC to FRA. Is the F in the 747 worth the stop or not?
should come back during high season.
747 F suites are comparable, only slightly smaller and of course the same service, food etc. Some even prefer the F suites on 747 over A380
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by DevDedication

you better be prepared that it will last longer than for only one month.
If they are sending the second bunch (three A380-aircraft) to "Heavy Maintenance-check", then it will least for three months (similar last year: mid-May till mid-September!)
But F-class on B747 to Munich is safe for the time being....and few people even prefer the "old" (ten) First class seats over the (nine) suites
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I also had the dreaded 1990's era B747 J class seats on the main deck, the one where the galley is on one side of the J cabin.
This is actually a really good configuration! Small cabin of 14 seats, quiet, little foot traffic, dedicated bathroom, ultra wide aisles. I'd take this any day over a 2-3-2 configuration offered by some other airlines in the other type of configuration.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This is actually a really good configuration! Small cabin of 14 seats, quiet, little foot traffic, dedicated bathroom, ultra wide aisles. I'd take this any day over a 2-3-2 configuration offered by some other airlines in the other type of configuration.
+1
if in J, I always take a seat in this area
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The CX-KA-AC agreement is much larger in scope as it covers codeshares from HKG to Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. AC has daily flights from Vancouver and Toronto to HKG, so it is a natural stopover point. TG cannot compete with such wider codesharing agreements.
Even if the number of Canadian tourists is small, this is another nail in the coffin of the TG North American market. And KA flies to HKT and CNX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.