FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - THAI: News
Thread: THAI: News
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:58 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
There is an interesting development over at the AC thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rtnership.html

Air Canada will enter into a code share relationship with CX with one of the goals to service the Thai market. My takeaway on this is that Air Canada has given up on trying to work with TG. Previously when AC relied on *A carriers on the Canada-BKK routes, one went through TYO or HKG and paid J class but sat in Y on a connector flight with TG or NH. It looks like AC will move its Thai destination business to its HKG hub and rely on CX. (the ICN route isn't a good option because of the nasty schedule.)

I previously used the HKG route regularly when I was mostly going to HKT. It was a convenient connection, although the equipment was tired and old. My connections to NRT on TG inevitably arived late causing me to run for my connection with my bag often missing the flight.

I see this as a very loud F.U. to TG who have been oblivious to the concerns other *A carriers have had with the carrier. My perception is that CX compared to TG will offer a better schedule, superior service, better quality equipment, more precise on time performance and of course meet saftey concerns. All this to be topped off by a better fare structure and ability to credit Ac with the FF miles. The fares when using TG make the AC route less competitive against AF/KLM and Finnair/BA on Canada Thailand routes. The introduction of codeshares with CX may bring AC fares back in line with the market. It is usually cheaper to purchase a stand alone RT through TG than to use a code share on AC. the best illustration is when using ICN as a connection. The cost difference can be $500- $1000 in J if using code share with TG vs a separate TG ticket.

I offer this up in the news section because;
i. People may not be aware of the new option coming. (AC can offer lower fares to the USA and EU when routing through Canada, than when going direct to the USA or EU.)
ii. It reinfoces the perception that TG is a lost cause, stagnating and slowly lurching to its demise.

I have the impression that Thai is obsessed with the Chinese and Russian markets with the zero baht tours such that it has neglected the profitable western markets. Has TG just given up and realized that it can no longer compete?