Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
You will not be so lucky. Best is as Thai-Kiwi suggests to buy a Smile Plus ticket and recuse to the according allowance.
I was lucky the last I flew HKT-BKK on WE with a TG marketed ticket. My extra 10KG were given for free. The check in agent definitely made a mistake and then didn’t want to loose face. My baggage tags said I traveled with 20KG although my actual baggage weight was 30KG.
Smile Plus give another +10KG so at the rate of 405 baht per KG, it is valued at 4,005 baht (not taking into account the other benefits).
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: hahaha
Thanks everybody. Decided to do BKK-KUL-SGN instead on MH in Business for their 50kg+20kg allowance. It's just some medicines and staples for villages that certainly need them so I don't mind the inconvenient 30h of additional travel time.

My next question concerns my HKG-BKK flight. There's no Star Alliance Gold lounges that have reopened, has TG partnered with anyone else to provide service? I'm flying in Y as *G, though
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Through baggage for BOM-BKK (TG) connecting (separate tickets) to BKK-TPE-JFK (BR)?

We are flying TG economy for BOM-BKK sector on revenue TG ticket stock, then immediately connecting at BKK (6-hr layover) on a separate award ticket (on LifeMiles stock) for BKK-TPE-JFK sectors on BR business class. We are wondering if we will be able to have TG check-in desk at BOM check our bags all the way to JFK. Any feedback or comments from the fellow FTers? If it matters, we hold US and Canadian passports.

Also, what is the most reliable source of information for travel requirements and restrictions for transit points (BKK and TPE)?

Really appreciate your guidance. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jeelele
We are flying TG economy for BOM-BKK sector on revenue TG ticket stock, then immediately connecting at BKK (6-hr layover) on a separate award ticket (on LifeMiles stock) for BKK-TPE-JFK sectors on BR business class. We are wondering if we will be able to have TG check-in desk at BOM check our bags all the way to JFK. Any feedback or comments from the fellow FTers? If it matters, we hold US and Canadian passports.

Also, what is the most reliable source of information for travel requirements and restrictions for transit points (BKK and TPE)?

Really appreciate your guidance. Thanks in advance.
First, TG has no obligation at all to check through on separate tickets. At BKK the TG staff have been quite accommodating for such requests, but at other ports the outcome is less certain.

You should be prepared that when checking in at BOM it’ll only be to BKK, and you you’ll need to ensure you have the correct requirements to collect luggage, enter Thailand, and check-in with BR.

You also carry all the risk in the event your TG flight is delayed and you miss the subsequent BR flights. As far as BR is concerned, you are originating in BKK, not BOM.

All of that said, it all comes down to whether or not whoever is contracted to do the ground handling for TG at BOM is prepared to assist. Pre-covid many did this with no issues. Post-covid who knows?!

Good luck, but have a Plan B.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
First, TG has no obligation at all to check through on separate tickets. At BKK the TG staff have been quite accommodating for such requests, but at other ports the outcome is less certain.

You should be prepared that when checking in at BOM it’ll only be to BKK, and you you’ll need to ensure you have the correct requirements to collect luggage, enter Thailand, and check-in with BR.

You also carry all the risk in the event your TG flight is delayed and you miss the subsequent BR flights. As far as BR is concerned, you are originating in BKK, not BOM.

All of that said, it all comes down to whether or not whoever is contracted to do the ground handling for TG at BOM is prepared to assist. Pre-covid many did this with no issues. Post-covid who knows?!

Good luck, but have a Plan B.
Thanks for the inputs. I completely agree with your comments and realize the risks. We are a party of 6 passengers and this was the most cost effective option, and the $$$$$ savings are worth the risk, I guess. Never done something like before, especially on an international itinerary. Hoping that it will work out without any major surprises or headaches. Will be sure to report back how it went.

The thing that I am most anxious about is any unexpected COVID related entry restrictions at BKK. Based on my research, it seems that there are no special requirements as long as everyone is fully vaccinated, which we are. But it is unnerving nonetheless less, as one just can't be 100% sure.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeelele
Thanks for the inputs. I completely agree with your comments and realize the risks. We are a party of 6 passengers and this was the most cost effective option, and the $$$$$ savings are worth the risk, I guess. Never done something like before, especially on an international itinerary. Hoping that it will work out without any major surprises or headaches. Will be sure to report back how it went.

The thing that I am most anxious about is any unexpected COVID related entry restrictions at BKK. Based on my research, it seems that there are no special requirements as long as everyone is fully vaccinated, which we are. But it is unnerving nonetheless less, as one just can't be 100% sure.
You should be fine, and your 6 hours is a good buffer if the staff at BOM don't agree to check-your bags through. I have friends from NZ who have recently travelled to/through Thailand and all seems pretty normal if you did need to enter/exit.

Good luck!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:52 pm

Air side connection if no checked bags?

Can we avoid having to exit the secure area and go through immigration and customs if we do not have any checked bags? Will EVA Air staff at the gate or at the lounge at BKK be able to issue us our boarding passes to TPE/JFK or will they ask us to go check-in outside at the check-in counter?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:53 pm

You should be fine, and your 6 hours is a good buffer if the staff at BOM don't agree to check-your bags through. I have friends from NZ who have recently travelled to/through Thailand and all seems pretty normal if you did need to enter/exit.

Good luck!
Thank you. Fingers-crossed.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM
ROP Gold Upgrade Certificates

I appreciate that Gold ROP round trip upgrade certificates are not valid with discounted economy class fares. But if the correct economy fare class is purchased, does there need to be special business class upgrade seat availability, or just an empty business class seat? Can this be done on-line, or is a phone call needed. Thanks. 😊
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I appreciate that Gold ROP round trip upgrade certificates are not valid with discounted economy class fares. But if the correct economy fare class is purchased, does there need to be special business class upgrade seat availability, or just an empty business class seat? Can this be done on-line, or is a phone call needed. Thanks. 😊
There needs to be J business class available. So, not a special fare class per se, but a limitation nonetheless.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:48 pm
axt

Can a first class passenger have a guest?

I bought an F ticket from bkk to lhr on the Boeing 777 with new first class seats with a buddy seat. I would like to know if I can invite my friend from J who will be seated 2 seats behind me to the buddy seat just for about 5-10 mins( while being mindful of other F passengers ofc by keeping our voices down).
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by axt
I bought an F ticket from bkk to lhr on the Boeing 777 with new first class seats with a buddy seat. I would like to know if I can invite my friend from J who will be seated 2 seats behind me to the buddy seat just for about 5-10 mins( while being mindful of other F passengers ofc by keeping our voices down).
This is a sensitive matters, as other F passengers don't want visitors from other cabins coming and going. And if other J passengers see this happening, they may decide to also go for some F cabin tourism.

I suggest that you do this at the end of the flight after landing, and so you stay in the F cabin and your J friends can come forward after the other F passengers depart. That way there is no disturbance to other passengers in any way. And photos can be taken in the seat and with cabin crew etc. In flight visit could also be possible, but please accept a likely 'no' from the Purser.

No matter what you try, please do discuss with the Purser in advance to arrange things.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:45 am

Hello, does anyone have a rough idea of when schedules post-October are published? I'm keen to find out if Perth will continue. Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wurblefurtz
Hello, does anyone have a rough idea of when schedules post-October are published? I'm keen to find out if Perth will continue. Thanks!
THAI has always been slower than competitors to publish forward schedules. I expect no change to that in present circumstances.
No idea when.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:58 am

THAI has always been slower than competitors to publish forward schedules. I expect no change to that in present circumstances.
No idea when.
Thank you, I'll keep my fingers crossed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.