Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Star Gold means little on TG, so you won't have any seat blocking through status. Indeed, your economy seating will be more dictated by fare class than status, at least until checkin.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Star Gold means little on TG, so you won't have any seat blocking through status. Indeed, your economy seating will be more dictated by fare class than status, at least until checkin.
It does mean lounge access with a plus one though, right?
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by webstereo
It does
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webstereo
Sure lounge access +1, and an additional 20kg of luggage. I was just talking about seating etc.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: hahaha
Hi everyone

This week I flew:

8/31 BKK-ICN on TG
9/3 ICN-YVR-YEG on AC

At BKK, I was expecting the piece concept baggage rules to apply (3x32kg), since AC was the most significant carrier. But they didn't (20kg + 20kg for *G), can I assume it was because of the stopover in Seoul breaking up the ticket?

Because this week, I'll need to fly:

9/8 BKK-NRT-YVR-YEG on both TG and AC, but there is no stopover, just 2h layovers at each airport, but I'll absolutely need all of my 97kg baggage allowance conferred by AC status and was hoping there'd be little resistance asking for this at check-in.

For both tickets, Air Canada was the ticketing carrier, and they did mention the 2x23kg baggage allowance on the ticket (though with status I have 3x32kg), but I'm not sure if a ticketed .pdf ticket takes precedence over what the system shows at BKK
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by asovse1
Hi everyone

This week I flew:

8/31 BKK-ICN on TG
9/3 ICN-YVR-YEG on AC

At BKK, I was expecting the piece concept baggage rules to apply (3x32kg), since AC was the most significant carrier. But they didn't (20kg + 20kg for *G), can I assume it was because of the stopover in Seoul breaking up the ticket?

Because this week, I'll need to fly:

9/8 BKK-NRT-YVR-YEG on both TG and AC, but there is no stopover, just 2h layovers at each airport, but I'll absolutely need all of my 97kg baggage allowance conferred by AC status and was hoping there'd be little resistance asking for this at check-in.

For both tickets, Air Canada was the ticketing carrier, and they did mention the 2x23kg baggage allowance on the ticket (though with status I have 3x32kg), but I'm not sure if a ticketed .pdf ticket takes precedence over what the system shows at BKK
According to IATA:
IATA Resolution 302 determining which rules to apply in an interline journey, for each checked portion and defining the concept of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC).

US Rule for travel originating in or with the destination to either USA (U.S. DOT Regulation399.87) or Canada (CTA Order 2014-A-158). The Governments of these nations require that a different concept applies. This concept states that the provisions of the Marketing Airline on the first coupon of the overall ticket shall apply to all flights on that ticket.

So if TG is the marketing carrier on the first flight (TG flight number) the TG allowance will apply. If you book the first leg with an AC flight number, AC allowance will apply.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume, though, that asovse1 meant AC was the Marketing Carrier (they said AC was the ‘ticketing carrier’). AC can be the Marketing Carrier but the first sector being a TG flight (non-codeshare).

So if the journey is on AC ticket stock, then AC’s luggage allowance should apply as detailed above. That should show on the e-tix.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume, though, that asovse1 meant AC was the Marketing Carrier (they said AC was the ‘ticketing carrier’). AC can be the Marketing Carrier but the first sector being a TG flight (non-codeshare).

So if the journey is on AC ticket stock, then AC’s luggage allowance should apply as detailed above. That should show on the e-tix.
No, marketing carrier really refers to the flight number in this case. It will matter what flight number the first flight is on. AC or TG.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No, marketing carrier really refers to the flight number in this case. It will matter what flight number the first flight is on. AC or TG.
OK, I have learned something

Putting aside the definitional question on Operating vs Marketing Carriers (and MSC) it is clear from IATA Resolution 302 as you laid out above, and my own review:

Exception to IATA 302

If your single-ticketed journey starts or ends in the USA or Canada (this does not include journeys that only pass through the USA or Canada), the 'first marketing carrier' decides the allowance and charges that will apply for the entire journey. They can apply their airline's rules or those of the 'most significant carrier'.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: hahaha
Wow, I learned so much. Never would I have thought this was a thing, I guess the hype around "most significant carrier" was so prevalent where I'm from (Canada; and what airlines I'm captive to) that I never bothered to question it.

Thanks for digging up those rules, CPH-Flyer, and thanks for helping clarify, Thai-Kiwi.

And no, I didn't clarify whether my TG segment was AC-marketed. It is, so I'm looking forward to bringing all that stuff onboard, assuming the typhoon doesn't mess things up! Thanks again, you two.
Thai-Kiwi and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Reporting back

First, TG has no obligation at all to check through on separate tickets. At BKK the TG staff have been quite accommodating for such requests, but at other ports the outcome is less certain.

You should be prepared that when checking in at BOM it’ll only be to BKK, and you you’ll need to ensure you have the correct requirements to collect luggage, enter Thailand, and check-in with BR.

You also carry all the risk in the event your TG flight is delayed and you miss the subsequent BR flights. As far as BR is concerned, you are originating in BKK, not BOM.

All of that said, it all comes down to whether or not whoever is contracted to do the ground handling for TG at BOM is prepared to assist. Pre-covid many did this with no issues. Post-covid who knows?!

Good luck, but have a Plan B.
You should be fine, and your 6 hours is a good buffer if the staff at BOM don't agree to check-your bags through. I have friends from NZ who have recently travelled to/through Thailand and all seems pretty normal if you did need to enter/exit.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by jeelele
Can we avoid having to exit the secure area and go through immigration and customs if we do not have any checked bags? Will EVA Air staff at the gate or at the lounge at BKK be able to issue us our boarding passes to TPE/JFK or will they ask us to go check-in outside at the check-in counter?
Report back on the actual experience.

We checked in online for our BKK-TPE-JFK award flights with BR before departing for BOM Airport for our BOM-BKK revenue flights with TG. We were a total of 6 passengers, 2 seniors, 2 children and 2 adults. At BOM airport TG check-in counter, our request to through check-in our bags all the way was politely declined. So, we checked in our bags only under 2 children and 2 adults to BKK, with the idea that as everyone has the Boarding Passes for our BR flights, the seniors can go straight to BR lounge at BKK for airside transit and without exiting the secure area, while others can go out through immigration and customs, retrieve the bags and check in at BR counter landside at BKK.

This plan worked out perfectly, except the long 2 hour wait landside for the BR check-in counters to open. As a result, we got limited time to enjoy the lovely BR lounge at BKK. The seniors made good use of all of their 6 hours at the lounge while the younger 4 passengers slugged it out until returning to the lounge after checking the bags and re-entering the secure area (nevertheless was pretty comfortable and relaxed given the long layover time).

Hope this information helps others. Happy to answer any questions. Just send me a PM.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeelele
Report back on the actual experience.

We checked in online for our BKK-TPE-JFK award flights with BR before departing for BOM Airport for our BOM-BKK revenue flights with TG. We were a total of 6 passengers, 2 seniors, 2 children and 2 adults. At BOM airport TG check-in counter, our request to through check-in our bags all the way was politely declined. So, we checked in our bags only under 2 children and 2 adults to BKK, with the idea that as everyone has the Boarding Passes for our BR flights, the seniors can go straight to BR lounge at BKK for airside transit and without exiting the secure area, while others can go out through immigration and customs, retrieve the bags and check in at BR counter landside at BKK.

This plan worked out perfectly, except the long 2 hour wait landside for the BR check-in counters to open. As a result, we got limited time to enjoy the lovely BR lounge at BKK. The seniors made good use of all of their 6 hours at the lounge while the younger 4 passengers slugged it out until returning to the lounge after checking the bags and re-entering the secure area (nevertheless was pretty comfortable and relaxed given the long layover time).

Hope this information helps others. Happy to answer any questions. Just send me a PM.
Thanks for posting.

As noted up thread TG had no obligation to through-check bags, and the polite decline to check bags through was in accordance with the rules. That they made an exception for your two seniors was commendable, but is highly dependant on the staff present to make that call.

Others making the same request may not be so lucky (or could be luckier!)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 4, 2022 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Newb TQ questions here (I have a couple).

1) I'm departing LHR Saturday LHR >> BKK >> SIN, with something like a 1h15m transfer time in BKK. Am I being overly cautious in thinking it's not a great idea to check a bag? It's all TG metal so I assume they'll happily interline the bag for me if I wish. I'm only in Sing 2 days for meetings before heading back to BKK for more meetings so if they don't manage to get the bag to me it'll be quite a pain in the derriere.

2) If I do decide to take HBO, can I get away with a carry on plus a suit bag? (I'm in Royal Silk)

3) It looked like there may be a couple of lounge options at LHR T2 (I have just done the TAP status match from my BA gold account to Star Alliance gold). Any recommendations?

4) What's the current approx time for getting through check in / security etc at LHR? Haven't been through there yet this year.

Thanks a lot for any and all input...
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Bags will probably make it. If carry-on can be achieved, esp for 2 days meetings, then do that
2. Yes. TG are pretty good. If in J no issues.
3. Pre-covid I used the SQ lounge. Mrs TK was reluctant to explore so we just stayed there.
4. I can advise after I depart LHR in approx 3 weeks time - but no current info.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
1. I agree, subject to the mess that LHR sounds like these days, bags will likely make it. For convenience though (and of course that is a personal preference), I would suggest HBO if possible, just to make for a faster journey.
2. Yes, should be no issues
3. I would give another vote for SQ (pre-covid). I tried AC and UA once before but settled on SQ after that if going from B gates or having plenty of time.
4. No data points from me recently for LHR either, sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.