Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Recent experiences please
Given it is still mandatory by law in Thailand to wear masks in public places (incl. outdoors), they are very strict. Please just comply.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
I am only transiting in BKK and will wear one in the airport until I get in the lounge and have food/drinks I am concerned about on the plane from Europe [mod edit], I would never break any laws on the ground in Thailand or any country but have medical reasons to not be able to wear a mask for more than a few minutes and not over both my nose and mouth or I will start gasping and need oxygen

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 2, 2022 at 1:05 am Reason: Derogatory language
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I am only transiting in BKK and will wear one in the airport until I get in the lounge and have food/drinks I am concerned about on the plane from Europe [mod edit]. I would never break any laws on the ground in Thailand or any country but have medical reasons to not be able to wear a mask for more than a few minutes and not over both my nose and mouth or I will start gasping and need oxygen
I would make sure I have that on paper if it was me, just to be sure. Sitting down in the lounge, there is no issue with not wearing mask - only when moving around. Onboard, I think there would be a difference between flying J and Y - in J, they would most likely be more lenient.

Do note that Thai law applies onboard any HS registered aircraft equally to on the ground though

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 2, 2022 at 1:05 am Reason: Conform with edited version of quoted post
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Recent experiences please
Further to the previous response I would also make sure your doctor’s letter stipulates you are fit to fly. Being unable to wear a mask for more than a couple of minutes might make an airline decide not to carry you at all as the risks of a diversion could be too great - whether you are wearing a mask or not.

This might require you to get pre-clearance from Thai before you arrive at the airport.
SKT-DK and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:09 pm

Usually Thai flights to Thailand are very quiet after takeoff in terms of announcements. Last week, I think a message popped up on the screen 4-5 times throughout the flight and an audio announcement was made every 2-3 hours to wear your mask.

In business class, it is hard to say what would happen to rule breakers when moving around - it looked to be 100% compliance. Sitting down, seemed like there was no set limit on how long you could keep your mask off while "eating or drinking". There were a few times I forgot to put it back on after eating/drinking. No one said anything.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: TG Plat
I am only transiting in BKK and will wear one in the airport until I get in the lounge and have food/drinks I am concerned about on the plane from Europe [mod edit], I would never break any laws on the ground in Thailand or any country but have medical reasons to not be able to wear a mask for more than a few minutes and not over both my nose and mouth or I will start gasping and need oxygen
Maybe get a mask with a valve, try and find the largest valve, remove the silicone diaphragm and the air will flow more freely. You are happy, jobsworths are happy.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: LH HON
Do I need some sort of covid test for transiting purposes? My destination does not require any sort of.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
Do I need some sort of covid test for transiting purposes? My destination does not require any sort of.
You need to confirm with Thai Government sources, but seems you may need insurance and vax certificate. Not clear if that is for transit >24 hours.

From AustralianGovernment website:
Travellers may transit between international flights in Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. You should ensure that your connecting flight is booked on the same itinerary and ticket. You must remain in the transiting area in the airport. Check with the destination country to ensure transiting via Thailand is allowed.

International travellers transiting Thailand within a 24-hour period do not need to have a Thailand Pass. Travellers transiting must have proof of medical insurance with at least USD $10,000 coverage for medical treatments in Thailand and certificate of vaccination. More information can be obtained from the Thailand Pass website.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des.../asia/thailand
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
From Suvarnabhumi Airport FB page 31 May 2022:

"According to the Rule of The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand on Measures for Flight Opeations during COVID-19 Pandemic Situation.

Mask with exhalation valves shall not be used at Suvarnabhumi Airport and on board.

References:
- Rule of The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand on Measures for Domestic Flight Operations during COVID-19 Pandemic Situation (No.2) B.E. 2564
- Rule of The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand on Measures for International Flight Operations during COVID-19 Pandemic Situation B.E. 2564
- Announcement for Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, regarding the Preventive Measures for Covid-19 Pandemic Situation (No.2)

"
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. Such masks are completely self-defeating in terms of limiting the spread IMHO. Such ‘breathe easy’ masks are essentially about paying lip-service to the medical advice or the attempts of governments to regulate. But the efficacy of masks generally is best discussed elsewhere…..
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
… ‘breathe easy’ ...
Correct. These masks are against pollution not viruses. Anyone looking for an easy to breathe mask that comply with health regulations can look for an electronic aid assisting mask such as:

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/puricare/lg-ap300awfa
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
LHR ticket desk

friend booked USM-HKT-LHR in August, the HKT-LHR has been cancelled and she's been rebooked to USM-HKT-BKK-LHR. Clearly she'd prefer to just fly USM-BKK-LHR - she's spent >2 hours on hold to Thai on several occasions and has given up. She's near LHR - is there a Thai ticket desk there that could look at the ticket and make the sensible change for her? If so, what hours is it open/would be best?
Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
friend booked USM-HKT-LHR in August, the HKT-LHR has been cancelled and she's been rebooked to USM-HKT-BKK-LHR. Clearly she'd prefer to just fly USM-BKK-LHR - she's spent >2 hours on hold to Thai on several occasions and has given up. She's near LHR - is there a Thai ticket desk there that could look at the ticket and make the sensible change for her? If so, what hours is it open/would be best?
Thanks
USM-HKT and USM-BKK are both on Bangkok Airways and not on TG.
Is this one ticket or several? If the former, did she book it through TG?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by BinSabai
USM-HKT and USM-BKK are both on Bangkok Airways and not on TG.
Is this one ticket or several? If the former, did she book it through TG?
Sorry, good spot. This is the return leg of a single ticket, booked through TG, with the outbound being ARN-BKK. Does op by Bangkok Airways mean that TG won't touch it? Does she need to try to get hold of Bangkok Airways direct ?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TG is the Marketing Carrier and so is responsible for the ticket until the flights go to Load Control at the airport (usually within 24 hours of departure), at which point check-in and any disruptions are handled by the Operating Carrier. Usually …

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.