Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
For a couple with 1 infant on BKK to MEL return on a 359 in C - which bassinet seat is better? Row 11 or 19? Can we book both center seats and be sure they won't move one of us to make room for another baby?

Any other comments or tips?
thanks
I’d call TG to get them to make the seat reservation so they can make sure the infant and requirement for bassinet is recorded.

Possibly go for the front row? The second galley is for economy class and may have a lot more activity and noise.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 11277m
You say you are BAEC Gold, so assuming you are in the UK, LHR-BKK in October gives this information for the route....20 kg checked baggage for the lowest fare on the TG website, and of course hand baggage also. TG tends to be quite generous in their baggage allowance.

If you booked through somewhere other than the TG website, you would be best asking the booking agent you used!

Booked via website.
I just wondered whether or not the fact that I'm returning in business would give me the extra allowance all the way through. I don't really fancy trying a call centre if someone knows the answer.

Just looked at the reservation online and it seems its 20 out and 40 back so no concession it seems

Last edited by webstereo; Jul 8, 2022 at 7:31 am Reason: found answer
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by webstereo
Booked via website.
I just wondered whether or not the fact that I'm returning in business would give me the extra allowance all the way through. I don't really fancy trying a call centre if someone knows the answer.
Realistically the answer is no. Booking a Y outbound and a J return doesn’t give you business class seats both ways either…
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Booked via website.

Just looked at the reservation online and it seems its 20 out and 40 back so no concession it seems
No, per your e-ticket and SKT-DK ’s comment. To be honest, not sure why this would even considered as a realistic possibility by a traveller …
SKT-DK likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 8, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
No, per your e-ticket and SKT-DK ’s comment. To be honest, not sure why this would even considered as a realistic possibility by a traveller …
Because I'm fairly sure I had an award upgrade on either Thai or Air NZ a few years ago and that did apply. The upgrade was one leg of a journey to NZ from LON
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because I'm fairly sure I had an award upgrade on either Thai or Air NZ a few years ago and that did apply. The upgrade was one leg of a journey to NZ from LON
This could, perhaps, be possible if the journey was one-way multi-sector (eg LHR-BKK-AKL), with the first flight sector upgrade benefits being carried through to the second sector. Indeed I did just this flying a mixed fare SQ First BKK-SIN, then Biz SIN-SYD-WLG. This meant we had the full F baggage allowance for the 4 of us for the full journey (and we needed it).

But you were taking about a return mixed Econ/Biz fare. IMHO getting upgraded baggage out/back in such a circumstance would be quite remarkable - I have never experienced a situation where the benefits of the upgraded cabin outbound were then applied to the return in 40+ years international flying.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 10, 2022 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: KFEG
Does anyone know the minimum number of miles one should have to be able to search for awards? I don't want to transfer a whole bunch of points to ROP just to find out there's no availbility.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drawar
Does anyone know the minimum number of miles one should have to be able to search for awards? I don't want to transfer a whole bunch of points to ROP just to find out there's no availbility.
I think enough for a minimum one-way award, which is 7500 miles.

What I can’t recall is whether this is sufficient to show availability for more ‘expensive’ awards, or if you need sufficient miles for the actual route you are considering.

I can look at award availability on ExpertFlyer (EF) if you have specific dates/routes and are willing to share; or (probably better) is if another member that has enough miles could offer to have a look.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:45 pm

I think enough for a minimum one-way award, which is 7500 miles.

What I can’t recall is whether this is sufficient to show availability for more ‘expensive’ awards, or if you need sufficient miles for the actual route you are considering.

I can look at award availability on ExpertFlyer (EF) if you have specific dates/routes and are willing to share; or (probably better) is if another member that has enough miles could offer to have a look.
Thank you, that would be awesome! I’m looking at (one-way) BKK-KIX (TG622) on April 13 next year. United showed me 2xJ seats but I found nothing on LifeMiles, KF, Aeroplan, or ANA, so I want to make sure what I saw on United is not phantom inventory.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: TG*G
That's how it looks fron my account right now:
Thai-Kiwi and drawar like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

drawar If you want to book, I'd do it ASAP! The 13th Apr is the start of Songkran (Thai traditional New Year for those that are not aware), and a very busy travel period.
morrissey_ohz Cheers for that.

This aligns with ExpertFlyer information:

drawar likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:43 am

drawar If you want to book, I'd do it ASAP! The 13th Apr is the start of Songkran (Thai traditional New Year for those that are not aware), and a very busy travel period.
morrissey_ohz Cheers for that.

This aligns with ExpertFlyer information:

Oh no, I had no idea! I was planning to stay in BKK for a couple of nights before flying on to Japan, but if that's around the beginning of Songkran rooms are going to be expensive, are they?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by morrissey_ohz
That's how it looks fron my account right now:
Thank you, could you help me check the taxes and fees as well? Looking at a revenue ticket it seems that YQ is only THB750, but ITA matrix says it's over THB4000, so not sure which one is correct.

Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh no, I had no idea! I was planning to stay in BKK for a couple of nights before flying on to Japan, but if that's around the beginning of Songkran rooms are going to be expensive, are they?
Accommodation can be priced quite OK in Bangkok as many Thais head back home, deserting Bangkok. Traffic can be a nightmare, and getting soaked with water every time you venture outside can become tiresome if you are not participating! Some places end up closed as well, so depends what activities you hope to do in Bangkok at that time.
drawar likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, could you help me check the taxes and fees as well? Looking at a revenue ticket it seems that YQ is only THB750, but ITA matrix says it's over THB4000, so not sure which one is correct.

Don't use a revenue ticket as any kind of guide to the YQ you might may on an award ticket.

Perhaps morrissey_ohz could start a dummy booking to check what the taxes would be.
drawar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.