Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:43 pm

Although this quote is from a FlyerTalk article from September 2013, TG continue to find ways to validate it:

As for Thai Airways, they keep falling behind great Asian airlines like Cathay and Singapore, like they’re stuck in a paint pot. Is their problem in the corridors of power?
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-tarmac/...i-airways.html
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Funnily enough, I had decided to switch to ROP from UA for my primary *alliance FFP until TG announced this devaluation. UA is now by comparison a much better program, and miles do not expire.
Yes, miles do not expire, but it will definitely depreciate if you do not use it before their next devaluation, which will definitely occur sooner or later.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 am

Thai Airways used to be ranked as one of the best airlines 15 years ago, but now its probably below 20th in Ranking. Recently I posted on their Facebook about the devaluation of the miles and there was no reply for my post and one other post, but other posts with general questions were promptly replied but they skipped answering my negative post. They seem to just ignore the negative post and answer only the posts with complements.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Chanet
Thai Airways used to be ranked as one of the best airlines 15 years ago, but now its probably below 20th in Ranking. Recently I posted on their Facebook about the devaluation of the miles and there was no reply for my post and one other post, but other posts with general questions were promptly replied but they skipped answering my negative post. They seem to just ignore the negative post and answer only the posts with complements.
To be fair to their social media / marketing people, they are probably as dumbfounded as you are by these changes. So they could let you have your say and say nothing or give you some canned answer...it's up to you which you'd prefer. I know for a fact the local staff here in Australia are pretty surprised at these changes.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Dear all,

any thoughts/suggestions on how we can best status match with TG ROP status?

I tried with UA last week, despite spending about $15,000 USD/yr on UA stock tickets (proof provided) and have upcoming travels booked with UA they wouldn't.

Cheers
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by kinchai
Dear all,

I tried with UA last week, despite spending about $15,000 USD/yr on UA stock tickets (proof provided) and have upcoming travels booked with UA they wouldn't.

Cheers

You can find some infos here

http://www.statusmatcher.com/
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kinchai
Dear all,

Cheers
If you're spending that much at UA, and will do the same moving forward, you won't be taking too much of a shave from the upcoming RDM scheme which means UA's earn/burn rates are still much better than what you'd get with TG.

Now if the absence of UA metal to BKK, the awful service and cuts and/or the direction of the airline is causing you to leave then you have a basis for being perplexed.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
Has anyone heard anymore from TG management about this devaluation:

Another comparison between some Asian and European Star Alliance FFP

AWARD MILEAGE REQUIREMENT : BKK-LHR-BKK

Airline - FFP Name Miles
ANA - Mileage Club 90,000
Turkish - Miles and Smiles 100,000
Asiana - Club 115,000
Lufthansa - Miles and More 135,000
United - Mileage Plus 150,000
Eva Air - Infinity Miles 160,000
Sinagpore Air - Krisflyer 160,000
Thai - Royal Orchid Plus 260,000

100,000 miles more required than SQ or EVA. It's absolutely shocking.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation

Nope they just ignore any correspondence on it. Nothing from Facebook. Post what you have shown on Facebook just to reinforce it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lcy flyer

Airline - FFP Name Miles
Asiana - Club 115,000

Icy flyer - You are referring of course to BKK-LHR-BKK in business class.

I believe a minor correction may be needed. Using United miles it requires 170,000, since you must fly Star Alliance carriers for this route.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
And another minor correction would be that if you have a Krisflyer account you would actually get SIN-LHR-SIN for 136,000 with the online 15% discount.

So 136,000 on SQ with spacious 1-2-1 full flat beds vs 260,000 on an elderly TG A346 with 2-3-2 slopey seats.

Completely ridiculous that TG seem to want to offer half the product for double the miles...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by cmdsea
an elderly TG A346 with 2-3-2 slopey seats.
2-2-2.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
2-2-2.
Oops. Yes, you are right. :-)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
Thanks for pointing these out, this is the response from Thai this morning:

Dear LCY FLYER,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on the new Royal Orchid Plus Award structure that takes effect on 01 September 2014.

Award travel and Mileage Upgrades on THAI and Star Alliance airlines are by far the most redeemed Awards by Royal Orchid Plus members. Better availability of Award seating has consistently been the top request from members. Delivery of availability that meets the high expectations of our members and rewards them for choosing THAI does however require an increase in mileage levels.

In Economy Class, where the majority of redemptions are made, increases in the mileage levels has been kept to a minimum and Award travel remains very attainable for all members.

Increases in mileage levels for Business and First Class travel are more substantial to provide Award seating where capacity is much more limited and demand is high from frequent flying customers who are often elite level members.

Along with Award changes, Tier Bonus Miles are being introduced whereby Platinum and Gold members will earn significantly more miles commencing 01 August 2014. For frequent flying elite members, redemption in premium classes will continue to be attainable with this new and rewarding way to earn additional miles. Complete details on Tier Bonus Miles are available at www.thaiairways.com/rop

Redemption of Awards and Mileage Upgrades on THAI and Star Alliance airlines at current mileage levels can be made up to 31 August 2014, with each Award valid for one full year after the ticket issue date.

Choose your preferred routing or destination and period of travel, book online or call THAI. To give you more flexibility, for Award tickets issued between 17 June and 31 August 2014 you may also change flight dates or numbers without a fee. Redeem at current mileage levels and enjoy flexibility with your travel plans for up to one year.

As a Royal Orchid Plus member you will continue to earn miles with Star Alliance airlines, travel partners and with everyday spending with financial partners. More mileage earning opportunities are being continually introduced to ensure that your account balance will continue to grow at a faster pace.

Mileage increases and new technical capabilities will also enable promotional redemptions on an ongoing basis. Whether network wide or route and flight specific, these promotional redemption offers will be of great value and save you miles.

We know that you value your miles and at Royal Orchid Plus we will continue to endeavor to deliver the rewards and value that you expect from your miles. Thank you for being a valued Royal Orchid Plus member and customer of THAI. If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely yours,

Royal Orchid Plus
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by lcy flyer

Airline - FFP Name Miles
Asiana - Club 115,000

Since it is to LHR, you could add BA with only 120,000.
And the earn rate for a BA Gold is also attractive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.