Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Disappearing Dom

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA*G
Originally Posted by tnmlyger
I just flew BKK-MUC in F and they had Dom the entire time. Food was atrocious, though. Exactly the same as when I last flew the leg in August. UA C food >> TG F food.
Thai food in C is level with economy of some airlines. Basically feels like an economy meal heated in a different tray.

F food is OK, but the main course is not special. I've found the starter better than the main recently.

The amenities bag is a disgrace, Qatar economy bag is on par, even providing a set of earplugs, I guess on Thai F they hope you will use those 'noise cancelling headphones' to save them the 1 cent on earplugs.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by AirCash
Thai food in C is level with economy of some airlines.
Sure it is. I even think most airlines in Y serve 2 hors´d oevre first, then a hot/cold appetizer and salad, followed by main course. After that a cheese/fruit cart, then dessert with coffee/tea and after dinner liquors. And everything nicely presented and in above-average quality. That´s the rule in Y, right ?

F.R.

Last edited by flyin´ruddl; Mar 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
About 10 years ago my wife and I flew RTW in F on our honeymoon primarily on SQ. I must have snarfed back 30 bottles of DOM on that trip ...

Will be flying Thai ZRH - BKK and BKK - NRT in F in September - hope they still serve Dom!!!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Sure it is. I even think most airlines in Y serve 2 hors´d oevre first, then a hot/cold appetizer and salad, followed by main course. After that a cheese/fruit cart, then dessert with coffee/tea and after dinner liquors. And everything nicely presented and in above-average quality. That´s the rule in Y, right ?

F.R.
I said the FOOD is comparable to Y, not the service. I'm really talking about the poor quality of the food.

I guess what Thai do is divide up the economy serving tray into serveral servings as you have described... they can present crap wonderfully, but it's still crap!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:44 am

I said the FOOD is comparable to Y, not the service. I'm really talking about the poor quality of the food.
Instead of just repeating your opinion you might want to share the secret who those airlines are serving this kind of food in Y?

F.R.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:59 am

Instead of just repeating your opinion you might want to share the secret who those airlines are serving this kind of food in Y?

F.R.
Gladly.

My experience in long haul Y is limited but I had 4 legs in Qatar in the last 3 weeks and the food quality was excellent considering it was Y. On one leg my my neighbour, who was also a seasoned C flyer, actually brought up the subject and mentioned how impressed he was.

I flew TG C long haul twice in the same period. My last leg the first 'Hour 'devours' was an irrecognisable, bland processed sausage on lettuce. The starter on Qatar Y in comparison was beatifully seasoned mediterranean salad, with lovely olives and fetta cheese.

The TG main I chose had acceptable taste (on par with Qatar Y), the week before Qatar Y wins as TG's beef was dry, tough and the accompanying vegetables looked like they were swept up from beneath the seats.
For dessert TG had only a few cheeses to choose from, the standard camanbert, a hard cheese, cheddar, and a bleu cheese. They were like those off my local discount supermarket shelf - in fact that is perhaps too high praise. Yes Qatar offered only a plastic sachet of cheese. TG wins on this front but the process of being served crackers in plastic wrap did bring back unwelcome memories of Y.

Remember the 'Pepsi Challenge' blindfold test? Try it with TG C vs Qatar Y food and it is going to be very tight. You could even use the Qatar eyeshades and earplugs you receive in Qatar Y amenities bag.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:23 am

Thai food in C is level with economy of some airlines
As I said, care to share?

My experience in long haul Y is limited
Sigh. I know well that TG is not all that shining than some posters insist in. What I don´t like is bashing on the base of thinking or believing.

Back on track: I hope I can enjoy Dom again on my upcoming trip next week.

F.R.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:19 pm

As I said, care to share?

Sigh. I know well that TG is not all that shining than some posters insist in. What I don´t like is bashing on the base of thinking or believing.

Back on track: I hope I can enjoy Dom again on my upcoming trip next week.

F.R.
Perfect example if you ask me. What were you expecting a full survey lol.

I'm planning on sampling Dom late next week, hopefully the F cabin will be empty like my last flight, seems to be the only way to guarantee a full bottle!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:36 pm

TG 921 on 03/08, 7 of us in F. Guess how many bottles of Dom? Yeah, one is the right answer. I couldn´t resist to talk about this incurrence with the inflight manager. Nice discussion. However, I gave up when she stated: "Aren´t Dom Perignon and Bollinger about the same thing, right Sir?" Sure, both are bubblies as is Faber Sekt from Germany, 2 EUR per bottle. Damn.

F.R.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Dom both ways on our recent trip. 9 seats taken each way and no hint there wan't enough to go around-indeed we had at least 1.5 bottles between the 2 of us.

Food generally was very good especially the pork curry on the way home.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:12 pm

last week MUC BKK 1 bottle for 4 pax. the food was a new low. lobster and scallops dry and chewy. the beef with mushroom topping was really so bad with a slimy sauce. only one choice of dessert (a pear tarte).

as always you get what you pay for and by the end of the day the great award availabilty or fares around €2800 for europe to bangkok make it acceptable even with bollinger.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
TG 921 on 03/08, 7 of us in F. Guess how many bottles of Dom? Yeah, one is the right answer. I couldn´t resist to talk about this incurrence with the inflight manager. Nice discussion. However, I gave up when she stated: "Aren´t Dom Perignon and Bollinger about the same thing, right Sir?" Sure, both are bubblies as is Faber Sekt from Germany, 2 EUR per bottle. Damn.

F.R.
Too bad that the lady is actually right - both retail at about the same price and are both very fine champagnes. Putting Bollinger next to a 2 EUR Faber Sekt is showing me that you have not done your homework yet...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by vivamuci
last week MUC BKK 1 bottle for 4 pax. the food was a new low. lobster and scallops dry and chewy. the beef with mushroom topping was really so bad with a slimy sauce. only one choice of dessert (a pear tarte).

as always you get what you pay for and by the end of the day the great award availabilty or fares around €2800 for europe to bangkok make it acceptable even with bollinger.
TG 931 early March . 4 of us in F, and only 2 drinking Dom.
After a few glasses, the very nice F flight attendant apologized and said they only had 1 bottle of Dom loaded, and Bolly would follow. I like Bolly, but still prefer Dom.
Inconsistence in F champagne seems to be the name of the game at TG nowadays.
Service was otherwise stellar. Food offerings never seem to change year after year ( I have been flying the same routes in F at the same times of the year , 6 times every year for the last 10 years ) , and wines barely average for F.
I have yet again been handed out this A3 size gold enveloppe with a selection of reading material at the beginning of th eflight. Has anyone else been given that ?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
Too bad that the lady is actually right - both retail at about the same price and are both very fine champagnes. Putting Bollinger next to a 2 EUR Faber Sekt is showing me that you have not done your homework yet...
Actually this thread is about "The Disappearing Dom" if I´m not mistaken. That is what I stated in my post you quoted. If someone states that Dom Perignon and Bollinger are the same thing this person is wrong. If TG in its F class offers Dom Perignon in the Wine menue and then loads a single bottle for 7 pax - that´s not appropriate behaviour. My statement comes into play only in this context (quantity, not quality) so what makes you think I´m comparing Bollinger quality to a 2 EUR bottle of ´Sekt´?

F.R.

Last edited by flyin´ruddl; Mar 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm Reason: re-reading
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
It's definitely the way they go about it that's the problem. It's the SNEAKINESS of trying to sub Bollinger where Dom is advertised.

Here in Australia the Dom 2000 is about $60-$70 (AUD) more expensive than the bollinger 99, so it appears to be a cost-cutting measure that they TRY to hide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.