Reload this Page >

Connections at DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport is relatively easy to navigate using the airside SkyLink train - gate to gate will invariably take less than 15 minutes.

Link to DFW Terminals Guide (also has links to individual terminals, SkyLink, Terminal Link, hotels, parking, etc. on page)
Print Wikipost

Connections at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
The two PNR situation may make for a problem, but....

1. Arriving early enough at Schipol to convince KLM to check your bags alll the way through. I've never had that situation with KLM or at Schipol but it's woth a try.

or

2. Convincing AA baggage counter (after Customs in the Arrival area) to accept your bags and tag them appropriately for OKC. The problem is that you will not be "checked in with a Boarding pass for the DFW/OKC flight, and AA's baggage counter may not be authorized or capable of that evolution.

I'd try #1, then #2, then take a penalty kick...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:58 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TMOliver
The two PNR situation may make for a problem, but....

1. Arriving early enough at Schipol to convince KLM to check your bags alll the way through. I've never had that situation with KLM or at Schipol but it's woth a try.

or

2. Convincing AA baggage counter (after Customs in the Arrival area) to accept your bags and tag them appropriately for OKC. The problem is that you will not be "checked in with a Boarding pass for the DFW/OKC flight, and AA's baggage counter may not be authorized or capable of that evolution.

I'd try #1, then #2, then take a penalty kick...

Thanks again.
I will definitely try 1. I have the feeling they will cooperate with me and send them through.
If not number two will be fine. There is no check-in problem because I will check-in online for the AA flight before I leave home for the airport.

Well 1 and 2 have to work because i'm not good at penalty kicks...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If they won't check them thru for you, just exit customs and check them at the terminal D AA ticket counter. That shouldn't add more than 5 minutes. Then proceed as above. By the way, if you don't have elite status and are checking bags separately for DFW-OKC, you will have to pay checked bag fees.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:38 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by swag
If they won't check them thru for you, just exit customs and check them at the terminal D AA ticket counter. That shouldn't add more than 5 minutes. Then proceed as above. By the way, if you don't have elite status and are checking bags separately for DFW-OKC, you will have to pay checked bag fees.
Okay I will see what they can do for me at Amsterdam Airport.
Another question, what waiting times could I expect at customs and baggage claim at my arrival time. (Approximately 13:30 local time)
Thank again!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:29 am

Will 55 minutes be enough for a connection in Dallas/Forth Worth airport?

I'll be going to Cozumel in April and my flight from NY first stops in Dallas/Fort Worth airport.

However, the layover is only 55 minutes. That means, we'll have to rush off the plane and make a mad dash to the plane leaving to Cozumel.

Realistically, is 55 minutes enough? They will both be the same airline.

What can I do to make the transfer quick?

We don't have to collect our luggages again and go through security do we?

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by swy05
I'll be going to Cozumel in April and my flight from NY first stops in Dallas/Fort Worth airport.

However, the layover is only 55 minutes. That means, we'll have to rush off the plane and make a mad dash to the plane leaving to Cozumel.

Realistically, is 55 minutes enough? They will both be the same airline.

What can I do to make the transfer quick?

We don't have to collect our luggages again and go through security do we?

No you will not need to go back through Security and your bags will be checked through. I assume you are flying on AA. DFW is a huge airport but all AA terminals are linked by a train within the sterile area. Assuming your flight arrives on time, 55 minutes is sufficient for connecting. Personally I try for 90 minutes just to account for any delays out of LGA (or EWR).
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:52 am

If the flight from LGA/EWR is "on time", 55 minutes works. Late arrival would make the change marginal and a little risky. On a trip within the US, I'd simply accept the risk. On a vacation, even to Cozumel, it's a ticket I would have hesitated to buy, having seen to many April thunderstorms across the US. Why tempt fate if there's a non-costly alternative?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
The sky train that links all the terminals runs every 5 minutes in both directions. There are two sky train stations in each terminal. As a result I think that you can get gate to gate with an average time of say 15 to 20 minutes.

However as pointed out by other quick terminal transfers cannot overcome late arrivals. I have ended up 20 minutes late to deplane when the flight arrived 10 minutes early at DFW.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:19 am

You're weighing different options or, as I suspect, already bought you tickets and are wondering whether to start worrying?

As AA could tell you (and it really would not be a bad idea to contact them about any of your concerns, as their word carries even more weight than ours), if your two flights were booked as one itinerary, especially on one airline, your bags will be transferred automatically (note: if your first flight isj late and you do sprint for the next flight and get there in time, that doesn't always mean your bags will make it, too). You should already have the boarding pass for your Cozumel flight, so don't have to exit security to get that. And, in the unlikely event you miss your connection, the airline will put you on the next flight on which there are available seats in your fare class (not always the very next flight). If an overnight is required for this, they should give you a hotel, unless the delay was deemed due to circumstances beyond the airline's control (e.g., weather). Of course, you don't want to lose valuable vacation time, but you should at least know you'll get to Cozumel at some point (no, they won't reimburse you for any pre-paid hotels if you arrive a day late).

BTW, if your first flight is at all delayed, alert AA personnel about your onward flight. Hopefully they can alert the personnel at the gate of that second flight and gain you a few extra minutes if need be. I wouldn't delay getting to your next gate to do this, however. Good luck.

Note: on your return flight, you will need to go through Immigration, get your bags, go to Customs, and hand your checked bags over to a transit desk (simple procedure, since your bags will already have been bagged for LGW). If you bought any liquids in duty free stores at the Cozumel airport or on board the flight, be sure those go into your checked bags before you hand the bags over at the transit desk. Otherwise you could end up losing those when you go through security for your LGW flight.

Last edited by SoCal; Apr 12, 2011 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
55 minutes D>I would not worry me at DFW at all. Relax and don't sweat it.

I don't think any two gates at DFW are more than 15 minutes from each other when using the airside train (Skylink); that includes the potential two minute wait for the next train.

And take heart that should you have the misfortune to fly on a day when DFW is getting pounded by thunderstorms your connecting DFW-CUN flight is likely just as delayed as your inbound NYC-DFW flight!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:59 am

DFW international connection

Hello --

I wonder if you can give me some advice about an international connection at DFW.

I am traveling ORD > DFW with AA, then onto BNE (Brisbane, Australia) with Qantas. I have two hours connection time in DFW.

How much will time I need? I know that 2 hours should be sufficient, but I've checked the on-time performance of ORD > DFW and it isn't that great, often arriving up to 1 hr 15 mins late.

As I booked the flights together as a single trip, I assume that I should be able to check my bags all the way to Brisbane at ORD? Do I have to clear customs and exit the US at DFW, or at ORD?

I guess I am a little worried about the connection b/c the DFW > BNE flights are only four times weekly, so I will be stuck in DFW for 48 hours if I miss my connection. Is it worth booking an earlier flight to DFW to be safe, even if I have to pay change fees or an entirely new flight?

Excuse my ignorance -- I haven't been to DFW before, or done a lot of long-haul connecting flights.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Not sure about the immigration part, but the DFW airport is fairly easy to traverse because of the Skylink tram between terminals. As long as immigration does not take more than 45 minutes you should probably be okay.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk!^

As you are leaving the US you do not have any customs or clearing immigration at DFW or ORD ( as you are flying ORD-DFW -BNE) .

If you were doing the reverse you would clear immigration at your first point of entry into the US

Your bags will be tagged all the way to BNE

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:55 am

Nothing to it, and 2 hours is more than adequate....(45 minute minimum if your flight's on time).

At ORD, check baggage "all the way". You'll clear TSA security there and not leave it at DFW. You may even get a boarding pass for your connecting flight, but maybe not.

At DFW (where you will likely arrive in terminal A or C, B handles AmEagle RJs), debark, look for nearest Skylink (where displays will also provide you with a departure gate in terminal D.

Board Skylink to terminal D station (there are 2) closest to your gate. Skylink is a "loop" running both ways. Signage and PA will direct you toward the side of the station used by the train quickest to arrive at terminal D.

Within 15 minutes after debarking, you should be at your departure gate, untroubled by much if anything in the way of officialdom. Check in, if you don't have a boarding pass.

Go have a beer.

Fly to BNE.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:58 pm

SFO-DFW-PVR 55 min connection with 8 checked bags?

Hi guys,
in december i am flying with my family from SFO-Puerto Vallarta with a connection in DFW. our flight leaves SFO at 6am and arrives Dallas at 1130am, then our flight to Puerto Vallarta leaves at 1225pm, i know we can make the plane if everything is ontime, but can our bags make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.