Reload this Page >

Connections at DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport is relatively easy to navigate using the airside SkyLink train - gate to gate will invariably take less than 15 minutes.

Link to DFW Terminals Guide (also has links to individual terminals, SkyLink, Terminal Link, hotels, parking, etc. on page)
Print Wikipost

Connections at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:51 pm

You can find cheap hotels off airport property and most of them provide a free airport shuttle. Try using priceline or hotwire to get a hotel for around 40-50 bucks for a night.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This will move to the South Forum for the benefit of non-AA flyers who ask the same question. /JDiver, Moderator

N.B. Also check the Sleeping in Airports site if not interested in paying for a hotel. <link>
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, you can stay in Terminal D overnight, but make sure you buy a meal before everything closes. (buy some bottled water, etc.)

You won't get much sleep.

The Grand Hyatt at Terminal D is expensive, but there is another Hyatt at DFW airport (what we think of as the OLD Hyatt) that is less costly. It is a reasonable walk from one of the terminals, but you have to walk through a parking garage and it is tricky unless someone shows you the way. There is a free shuttle bus to that hotel.

Off airport motels and hotels are in a variety of price ranges, but if you have a 0900 departure, you won't have a really long time to sleep.

DFW airport has a fine group of volunteers called the DFW Ambassadors who usually can be found at stands near the SkyRail system and in the terminals. They can give you some ideas of where and how to spend your time. There is no fee for their help.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Generally good reviews for overnighting at DFW: http://sleepinginairports.com/usa/dallas.htm

Even so, I'd try to get a cheap hotel room. With a 12 hour layover, you could certainly get a good night's sleep and a shower in the morning, even allowing time to wait for sometimes-slow shuttle buses.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler
You can sit in a chair all night in the DFW airport if you want. They don't kick you out as they might in many smaller airports.

The closest hotel to DFW in actually IN DFW at terminal D (Hyatt). There is another that is on the grounds of the airport (a 2nd Hyatt). Others are close but off the grounds.

Thank you! I think I will try to find a hotel, it seems like a good deal for a night and I will be sharing it.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Yep, stay at DFW - no problem. I would recommend the gates 1-15 area of Terminal D. Plenty of space along the windows, fairly quiet.
Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Billy910
You can find cheap hotels off airport property and most of them provide a free airport shuttle. Try using priceline or hotwire to get a hotel for around 40-50 bucks for a night.

I will check that out for sure, thank you! I didn’t think hotels were that cheap close to the airport.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Yes, you can stay in Terminal D overnight, but make sure you buy a meal before everything closes. (buy some bottled water, etc.)

You won't get much sleep.

The Grand Hyatt at Terminal D is expensive, but there is another Hyatt at DFW airport (what we think of as the OLD Hyatt) that is less costly. It is a reasonable walk from one of the terminals, but you have to walk through a parking garage and it is tricky unless someone shows you the way. There is a free shuttle bus to that hotel.

Off airport motels and hotels are in a variety of price ranges, but if you have a 0900 departure, you won't have a really long time to sleep.

DFW airport has a fine group of volunteers called the DFW Ambassadors who usually can be found at stands near the SkyRail system and in the terminals. They can give you some ideas of where and how to spend your time. There is no fee for their help.

Thank you, I will talk to those guys when I get there. This forum is really helpful!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by swag
Generally good reviews for overnighting at DFW: http://sleepinginairports.com/usa/dallas.htm

Even so, I'd try to get a cheap hotel room. With a 12 hour layover, you could certainly get a good night's sleep and a shower in the morning, even allowing time to wait for sometimes-slow shuttle buses.

Thank you Swag. I think I will go for the room, if it is as cheap as I have been told its totally worth it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:59 am

Exclamation DFW Connection.

Hey,

In December I will fly from Amsterdam to Dallas, and then on to Oklahoma City.
What will be the best plan on arrival? Go through security and pick up my baggage. Then take the Terminal connect, and check in at AA in the other terminal.
I have almost 3 hours connection time so that should be good.

Pelle
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Welcome to FT! I'm going to move this over to the US - South forum, where the local experts reside and should be able to assist you.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Smile

Originally Posted by pelle93
Hey,

In December I will fly from Amsterdam to Dallas, and then on to Oklahoma City.
What will be the best plan on arrival? Go through security and pick up my baggage. Then take the Terminal connect, and check in at AA in the other terminal.
I have almost 3 hours connection time so that should be good.

Pelle
If arriving via AA or at AA terminal D...(as I remember it returning from Spain to Houston in June, since I usually end my flights at DFW)

1. In Amsterdam, check baggage all the way to OKC.

2. Arrive, clear Immigration (separate lines for non-USAians), pickup checked bags (next, after Customs) for , Customs check, and return bags (already tagged to OKC) at AA counter in International Arrivals area just past Customs, then clear Security again to exit to Terminal.

3. Check Flight Display for connecting gate, likely not in Terminal D for a DFW/OKC flight, take escalator up to "Skylink" (2 stations in "D")and ride to station closest to your departure gate (whether you ride the short way or the long way around won't matter, all roads lead to Rome, and the long way around (getting an idea of the layout of DFW and seeing what's coming and going) is not frenetic or crowded.

90 minutes at the most, as little as an hour sometimes.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Welcome to FT! I'm going to move this over to the US - South forum, where the local experts reside and should be able to assist you.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Thank you very much!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I agree. The Terminal Link bus will get you between terminals land-side, but it's better to re-clear at terminal D and use the airside Skylink train. It's quicker, and a more interesting ride.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TMOliver
If arriving via AA or at AA terminal D...(as I remember it returning from Spain to Houston in June, since I usually end my flights at DFW)

1. In Amsterdam, check baggage all the way to OKC.

2. Arrive, clear Immigration (separate lines for non-USAians), pickup checked bags (next, after Customs) for , Customs check, and return bags (already tagged to OKC) at AA counter in International Arrivals area just past Customs, then clear Security again to exit to Terminal.

3. Check Flight Display for connecting gate, likely not in Terminal D for a DFW/OKC flight, take escalator up to "Skylink" (2 stations in "D")and ride to station closest to your departure gate (whether you ride the short way or the long way around won't matter, all roads lead to Rome, and the long way around (getting an idea of the layout of DFW and seeing what's coming and going) is not frenetic or crowded.

90 minutes at the most, as little as an hour sometimes.
Thank you both for the fast response!
I will arrive in Terminal D yes.(flying KLM)
I have 2 separate tickets because the first plan to drive to Oklahoma.

My last trip in Oktober I flew to New York via Heathrow, and they labelled my baggage through to New York. But those two flights were on a single ticket.
Will this work again, or not due to separate tickets?

Pelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.