Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
If this includes the homepage, then it would be this:

Post articles quicker and remove older ones more frequently. An example of each:

1) about the BBC reporter being stuck on a plane, this was reported several days ago on various outlets and yet only just appeared here.
2) for quite a significant amount of time, there was an article about a hotel in Da Nang which probably lasted a good 2 months. Why? Who knows.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
And one specific comment that I didn't see above: the "Go to first new post" icon at the left of a thread title used to be a square that was large enough to click on. It's now a tiny triangle which is much harder to zero in on. It seems to accept clicks in a limited region around the triangle itself, but I'd like to see something larger - ideally the previous icon restored, but in any case something that one can realistically expect to hit with a mouse at least 80 percent of the time.
THIS. Whoever decides on these kinds of changes either has zero understanding of the UX concept, or in the alternative simply does not care.
Globaliser, Xyzzy and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not a fan of the coloring for the new layout. Too much white, making it difficult to read. My eyes seem to have trouble adjusting between trying to read black font on a nearly all white (with some bright blue) coloring. Also more difficult to tell where one post ends and another begins compared to the old format unless one looks to either side of the side of the screen, versus the old format where the color bars made it much easier to distinguish between posts.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Grog
I don't recall seeing an explanation as to WHY this involuntarily change was implemented.

It's simply unusable for any duration. And, believe me, I'm not a technological fuddyduddy. I design apps and websites (and earn money doing it). I don't like it when Sonos changes things arbitrarily either. Sonos pull this stuff all the time. Why turn something on its head when it's something that thousands of people have bought into and obviously love already? Give haters options; don't take away options from the lovers. It's quite simple, really.

[After further usage...]

Far beyond any issue of esthetics, the current design is causing eye pain. Increasing the font size makes certain elements far too large and otherwise unreadable. A member since 2003, I can say I'm forced to take a break from FT due to this design (I've considered it for other reasons and this now puts it over the top). It's clear I'm not alone in hoping you get the site usable again for all of your members.
The page does render much much faster than it had in the past. That's really the only improvement I've noticed. I don't see why there needed to be a change with so much to get the rendering enhancements.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Have the owner(s) and head site moderators acknowledged this is a mess? I have seen a few comments addressing individual issues....but nothing to acknowledge the overwhelming disapproval by hundreds of members.
florens and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I definitely understand you on the greater functionality aspect. The "View Full Site" button has been moved to inside the menu on the left. It's at the bottom there. See below: (...)
Originally Posted by IBJoel
(can't post links)

Not effecting just mobile, unfortunately. I have reported this.
Thanks and thanks!

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
I feel your pain IBJoel/IBBobi, and am happy not to be experiencing it firsthand
I have great sympathy for the IB folks facing the FT firing line, which cannot be easy, but whoever it is that keeps making bizarre and poorly conceived design and functionality changes and shoving them down our throats is ultimately to blame.

Originally Posted by beltway
As I mentioned above, I'm now seeing wikis again.
They still do not appear for me. Android, both Opera and Chrome browsers, with or without ads blocked.
angra, IBJoel and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by david55
Have the owner(s) and head site moderators acknowledged this is a mess? I have seen a few comments addressing individual issues....but nothing to acknowledge the overwhelming disapproval by hundreds of members.
One of them has PMed me following my large post up above after not getting a response for 12+ hours to any of my concerns. I will not be releasing the PM as I have enough respect for them still to hold that as privileged communication (unless of course they give me permission to release the content of it quoted). I can, however, in good conscience say that there was no acknowledgement that this is a problem, no acknowledgement that they screwed up, and absolutely no indication they are going to do anything to fix it - instead that they intend to "Keep Moving Forward(TM)" as Meet The Robinson's would say.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by david55
Have the owner(s) and head site moderators acknowledged this is a mess?
For clarification, the moderators (and forum-assigned Admin staff) of this particular forum have nothing to do with the decisions that Internet Brand staff make concerning the site's software or rendition. The moderators of this forum were not informed in advance of when this particular change to the site would occur.

Thank you,

cblaisd and JDiver, Co-Moderators, Technical Support forum

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 28, 2018 at 6:20 am Reason: Sign on
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

There are some things with this redesign I do not hate, to be honest.

There are a few things I would like to see addressed.

(1) Links show as black text until one hovers over them. Some of these are not bold or set apart from other text. This is poor design.

(2) Thread titles in MyFlyerTalk are smaller than other text.

(3) Forum names in MyFlyerTalk are smaller than other text.

Screenshots attached.
JDiver, beltway and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

The issue continues with regular Safari.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
It's nice to see a bit of a facelift to unify the old vb3x style to the rest of the site, but I'm pretty surprised I didn't see a transition to xenforo. After the shakeout at vbulletin over vb4 and vb5, the team at xenforo seems to have made the next level forum software that seems truly 'modern' not only in appearance, but also in functionality. All the others seem to just take away features to look 'pretty', but not xenforo.

My 2 cents coming from a fellow forum owner still married to the vb3 platform.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:46 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by WIRunner

The issue continues with regular Safari.
Was trying to post a screenshot of the exact same thing yesterday but it wouldn’t play.

S
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I see all of the buttons in the new style, using Chrome on Win 10 Pro.

I wonder whether those who are seeing a mixture of old and new styles are just seeing cached versions of the old ones?
You are correct. I cleared my cache and now the buttons are consistent. My complaint now is like others, the overall brightness of the color palette.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by chermorg
Slightly OT question... why is the person handling feedback not the person making the changes here? It would be much better to have the people answering these "tech tickets" (who actually are these tickets even going to) come to answer our questions and alleviate our concerns. There is absolutely no reason many of these changes should take this long in vB.

Whoever made the decision to flip the switch on this really does need a talking to about testing and debugging workflows in a technical environment. You do not just say "here's my idea, let's force it on everyone all at once with no feedback". You run tests - opt-in beta being the best, an A-B being worse but still okay (but idk if forced A-B test is possible in vB). There is absolutely no reason this skin (which isn't ADA compliant and is extremely poorly made with regards to color selection) should have been forced on anyone with the problems it has that have come to light in this thread. This forced rollout, the response to community concerns, the time it is taking to fix glaring issues that would easily have been caught in testing had it been conducted. The only "preannouncement" was a thread in this forum that was never global-stickied or announced - at least in the two forums I actually read regularly on FT. The thread did not even allow users to try the style before release - it only showed very minimal photos of the style. This thread was not even up for 1 week before the forced rollout.

Extremely poor technical management by whoever is making these decisions, and to be quite honest makes me question whether I should trust the FT site to be secure, safe, and reliable. Advice from someone who's been a part of multiple large vB based (and other forum software based) communities - get some people on the administrative and technical teams who know what they're doing and who care more about the users than "site unity" with the clickbait ad-revenue driven FT homepage.
I made this exact point in the last feedback thread for the last unwanted update. There is absolutely no way a professional, or even half experienced amateur, would roll out these updates without any testing. Each of the last two updates had feedback threads dozens of pages long with bugs that were found within a matter of hours after roll out and it took weeks to fix them, if they got fixed at all.

How did IB learn absolutely nothing after the last botched roll out? Please, for the love of all things sacred IB, start doing some actual testing. These are programming and design mistakes that even the most inexperienced developer would be able to fix in short order and, more importantly, would have fixed before rolling it out site wide. Some of these mistakes are amateur hour mistakes, like the hyperlink one. That's before we even get back into just how atrocious and blinding the UI is.

I never received much more than a throw away response to these same points last time IB botched an update, so I'm not holding out any hope that they'll be addressed now.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Grog
I don't recall seeing an explanation as to WHY this involuntarily change was implemented.

It's simply unusable for any duration. And, believe me, I'm not a technological fuddyduddy. I design apps and websites (and earn money doing it). I don't like it when Sonos changes things arbitrarily either. Sonos pull this stuff all the time. Why turn something on its head when it's something that thousands of people have bought into and obviously love already? Give haters options; don't take away options from the lovers. It's quite simple, really.

[After further usage...]

Far beyond any issue of esthetics, the current design is causing eye pain. Increasing the font size makes certain elements far too large and otherwise unreadable. A member since 2003, I can say I'm forced to take a break from FT due to this design (I've considered it for other reasons and this now puts it over the top). It's clear I'm not alone in hoping you get the site usable again for all of your members.
This really isn't hyperbole, I'm getting a headache after spending 10 minutes reading through this thread. It is that bright. I'm on a color calibrated 25" monitor in a well lit room and this is absolutely blinding. When I close my eyes, I can see FlyerTalk seared into my brain.

Luckily, this only makes me feel more confident in my use of an AdBlocker on this site. A company that does not give a single damn about user wants and needs does not deserve to make a single penny from my clicks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.