How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image or video in a post
HOW TO EMBED IMAGES: See tutorial information in posts 1 - 4.

Not every Forum accepts the embedding of images; for those that do, please follow the FlyerTalk Rules. From the FlyerTalk Rules:

8. Posting of Images link to this rule.
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all FlyerTalk content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. (See also, Rule 2 — User Profiles.) Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort FlyerTalk standard column widths.
To attach of a doc, docx, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, xls or xlsx file from your device, or to add a thumbnail (or up to six thumbnail photos to your post, see the first and second posts in this thread.

If your image fails to load, the first thing to try is clearing your browser’s cache.

NOTE: At this time, embedding animated images is not allowed (see this link to the FlyerTalk rule).

(Posts with embedded or attached videos, files or images made here as tests of how this works will routinely be deleted for systems efficiency.

/Moderators)

IGUANADON
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Posting a picture / image; how to embed an image in a post
HOW TO EMBED IMAGES
: Not every Forum accepts the embedding of images; for those that do, please follow the FlyerTalk Rules. From the FlyerTalk Rules[:

8. Posting of Images link to this rule.
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all FlyerTalk content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. (See also, Rule 2 — User Profiles.) Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort FlyerTalk standard column widths.
To attach a doc, docx, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, xls or xlsx from your device, see first post.

-OR-

To embed an image:
  • Click on the image (hosted by other than FlyerTalk) in question and "Copy image URL"
  • Go to the post with the URL in the clipboard, place the cursor to where you wish the image placed
  • Click on the radio button directly above each post when you open it
  • Paste the image URL into the popup
  • the result should look like [ IMG]http://www.imagesource.com/image.jpg[/ IMG] (without the spaces in the IMG tag boxes)
  • when you save your post, you should be able to see the image
Example:

Name:  p1_009894.jpg
Views: 6976
Size:  16.0 KB

This image link looks like this, without the extra spacing, in a post:

[IMG]Name:  p1_009894.jpg
Size:  16.0 KB[/IMG]

If you wish to center:

Name:  p1_009894.jpg
Size:  16.0 KB

looks like

[CENTER ][IMG ] [IMG]https://www.dfwairport.com/cs/groups/public/documents/webasset/p1_009894.jpg [/IMG ][/CENTER ]

If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things. (From Photography Forum)

More detailed information in the Photography Forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html

If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things. (From Photography Forum)

FOR ATTACHED IMAGES, SEE OTHER POST WITH
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2017 at 12:58 pm Reason: Add new method of uploading image; add new supported file types
Original Poster

Posting a picture / image; how to make an image optional

Another way to handle an image is to use the "Spoiler" tag. This inserts your image, but hides it nless a member wishes to see it, in which case they merely click on or touch the Show radio button.

Spoiler

Click on "Show" radio button to see image.

Merely add [SPOILER] and [ /SPOILER] tags outside the [IMG] tags (just don't use a space between the [ and / to make it work. E.g. [SPOILER][IMG]nameofimage.***[/ IMG][/ SPOILER] minus the extra spacing.
Original Poster

Posting a Vimeo video to display within your post

Originally Posted by IBJoel
https://vimeo.com/1053647
https://vimeo.com/1053647
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/1053647[/vimeo]
[vimeo]1053647[/vimeo]

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 22, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Posting a YouTube video to display within your post

Videos, e.g. YouTube videos, can now be embedded in your post. (The embedded video will not appear if you are using the mobile skin, however).

For example, YouTube video with time lapse of SFO Terminal 1 redevelopment stages:

Your video will automatically be centered.

To replicate, replace the B with r:

[uBL="https://youtu.be/lIhy-dgdErM"]https://youtu.be/lIhy-dgdErM[/uBL]
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posting a photo / picture / image; how to embed an image in a post

I use flyertalk from my iPad and don't know how to post an image. When I click on what I think is the image icon, the one with a yellow background, a mountain, and the sun in the upper right corner, I am told to enter the link of my image. My image is not on a website. It's stored on my computer, or my hard drive when I access it from my Mac.

Can someone please help me? Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:47 pm

Update

Update: I see in the lower left corner of the web page, the posting rules say I may not post attachments. What gives?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL, AA
FT does not usually "host" images. People use a variety of other sites to host their images & post links to the images. You are using the correct icon, but have to find another site to host the image, then embed the link to that site.

There is a rather clunky FT Photo Gallery if you do not have another hosting site: http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/

More info. on posting images: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:48 pm

Thank's
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:19 am

It doesn't seem like you can use any of the sizing parameters with the IMG bbcode here. I just tried IMG=300x200 and IMG width="300" to no avail. Or those not valid bbcode parameters here?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
Hello there. Is there a specific technique or process I should use for posting an ITA itinerary on the forums? I don't see any threads addressing this particular issue, this was the closest I could find.

Many thanks
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have Fireshot for firefox (awesome screenshot works simiarly) and capture a section of the screen and upload it to their servers. It generates a ready to use vbcode that you can post in any thread. An example:

<image link redacted due to oversized presentation>

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:31 pm Reason: image link redacted due to oversized presentation
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I have Fireshot for firefox (awesome screenshot works simiarly) and capture a section of the screen and upload it to their servers. It generates a ready to use vbcode that you can post in any thread. An example:

<redacted>
Thank you very much, that looks helpful. Firefox is verboten at work but I use it for choice back at Gently Towers, so I'll give that a whirl tonight.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:31 pm Reason: Redacted oversized graphic
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
It doesn't seem like you can use any of the sizing parameters with the IMG bbcode here. I just tried IMG=300x200 and IMG width="300" to no avail. Or those not valid bbcode parameters here?
Yeah, that doesn't work. You need to resize your raw image before saving it. If I'm in a place where I lack photo editing tools to do this, I use one of the numerous free image resizers on the web (just Google "image resize" or something) to re-save the image at my desired resolution.

Kind of a pain, but until such time (not in our lifetimes ) as the FlyerTalk admins get us on a more modern platform, that's what ya gotta do.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:16 am

How do I insert images / include photographs in posts?

I would like to post some pictures. Can you tell me how Playa Resorts posted the pictures to the Hyatt Zilara/Ziva thread? Nthanks
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:31 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Detailed instructions may be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.