How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image or video in a post
HOW TO EMBED IMAGES: See tutorial information in posts 1 - 4.

Not every Forum accepts the embedding of images; for those that do, please follow the FlyerTalk Rules. From the FlyerTalk Rules:

8. Posting of Images link to this rule.
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all FlyerTalk content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. (See also, Rule 2 — User Profiles.) Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort FlyerTalk standard column widths.
To attach of a doc, docx, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, xls or xlsx file from your device, or to add a thumbnail (or up to six thumbnail photos to your post, see the first and second posts in this thread.

If your image fails to load, the first thing to try is clearing your browser’s cache.

NOTE: At this time, embedding animated images is not allowed (see this link to the FlyerTalk rule).

(Posts with embedded or attached videos, files or images made here as tests of how this works will routinely be deleted for systems efficiency.

/Moderators)

IGUANADON
Print Wikipost

How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am experiencing problems posting photos links from Shutterfly (first time in 8 years).

I keep getting the database errors. I have tried using two different computers, iPhone and iPad, and same problem occurs.

Any Shutterfly users observe the same problem? Fix solution?
Old May 23, 2016, 2:15 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am experiencing problems posting photos links from Shutterfly (first time in 8 years).

I keep getting the database errors. I have tried using two different computers, iPhone and iPad, and same problem occurs.

Any Shutterfly users observe the same problem? Fix solution?
Unless you post a link to a post where this is happening, we cannot investigate.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So we've gone from one extreme to another? I've noticed that some folk posting from their phones, laptops, etc, the image takes up the entire screen such as this, where as they didn't do so before.
But if I post from a website:

Can you tell me the exact steps you took posting each image? You seem to have edited the top post, so please include whatever you did there. Also the device/browser you used for each, and whether you used the full site or the mobile skin?

In general, the more detail you can give (the details requested should always be provided, as well as links to any posts you reference) the better; info requested is minimum requirement for us to be able to investigate. Thank you!

Last edited by IBobi; May 23, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 2:23 pm

So we've gone from one extreme to another? I've noticed that some folk posting from their phones, laptops, etc, the image takes up the entire screen such as this, where as they didn't do so before.
But if I post from a website:

I don't need a tiny thumbnail which it was temporarily when IB had that on, but more like the image size just above your post. So it's easy to see but doesn't fill up the entire screen. I thought it used to be like that?

Cheers.
Can you tell me the exact steps you took posting each image? You seem to have edited the top post, so please include whatever you did there. Also the device/browser you used for each, and whether you used the full site or the mobile skin?

In general, the more detail you can give (the details requested should always be provided, as well as links to any posts you reference) the better; info requested is minimum requirement for us to be able to investigate. Thank you!
Old May 25, 2016, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Apologies if has been covered somewhere already, although I did try to search for likely terms

I think I know what's going on with FT randomly rotating photos -- the EXIF data stored in a photo can specify metadata, including the orientation of the camera when the photo was taken. I have pix taken with my phone held vertically (portrait mode) which are nevertheless reported as 4160x2340 by the "identify" utility in the ImageMagick package. They display correctly oriented on my phone laptop because they know how to interpret the EXIF data.

When you upload a photo to FT, it appears to do some processing on the image (including enforcing max height/width) before storing the image, and I bet whatever software they are using to do this processing, does not know about this EXIF attribute.

Thus in order to upload a photo to FT and preserve the correct orientation, it needs to have this EXIF attribute deleted (and the image rotated locally before it is uploaded, if necessary). ImageMagick's "convert" utility has a "-auto-orient" flag which will do this. Most photo editing software probably lets you edit the EXIF data also?

For further reading:

jpeg exif orientation

jpeg delete exif orientation

ImageMagick docs for convert -auto-orient

Here are 3 different versions of the same source image. On my laptop all three appear correctly oriented.

This is an upload of the original raw image; FT incorrectly displays it in landscape mode:

Name:  20160525_120134.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  355.3 KB

For this upload I resized the image ("convert -resize 25%") but did not change any of its other attributes; FT also shows this in landscape:

Name:  resized.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  238.7 KB

Then I ran "convert -resize 25% -auto-orient" and now the uploaded version displays correctly:

Name:  resized_auto_orient.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  239.5 KB
Old May 25, 2016, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by IBobi

I can try to reconstruct the above or just do it again w/ some info after I repost w/ dif images.

I will note that, unlike the FTer directly above me, I don't post photos on FT from my phone (since I have an old Nokia). It's either images from digital camera that I've uploaded to my photo website or from my laptop if I haven't gotten around to uploading image to photo website.

I never use FT's mobile site so that's not an issue/parameter.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:38 pm

Not necessary Ski -- we have reverted the change to how links are handled, so it should function as usual.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I will note that, unlike the FTer directly above me, I don't post photos on FT from my phone (since I have an old Nokia). It's either images from digital camera that I've uploaded to my photo website or from my laptop if I haven't gotten around to uploading image to photo website.
I realize SkiAdcock was just adding information about her issue w/o commenting on mine (except to draw a distinction) but to clarify in case anyone thinks it matters for my case (I don't think it does but you never know), although I took the above photos with my phone, I copied them to my laptop and posted them via the non-mobile, full FT interface.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Zorak
I realize SkiAdcock was just adding information about her issue w/o commenting on mine (except to draw a distinction) but to clarify in case anyone thinks it matters for my case (I don't think it does but you never know), although I took the above photos with my phone, I copied them to my laptop and posted them via the non-mobile, full FT interface.
Thank you for adding that. /Mod
Old May 27, 2016, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I realize SkiAdcock was just adding information about her issue w/o commenting on mine (except to draw a distinction)
Yes, I wasn't commenting on yours per se, other than to draw a distinction.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Hi, just tried my first photo post from my iPad and although the images have been resized ok, the orientation of the photos has changed. Is there anyway of stopping this happening and is there any way of correcting the uploaded images. I will only be an occasional photo poster and probably don't wish to go down the hosting route.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how does posting from ipad work? not attaching but hotel review?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
Hi, just tried my first photo post from my iPad and although the images have been resized ok, the orientation of the photos has changed. Is there anyway of stopping this happening and is there any way of correcting the uploaded images. I will only be an occasional photo poster and probably don't wish to go down the hosting route.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how does posting from ipad work? not attaching but hotel review?
I post from several iPads, and haven't had any problems with images - including orientation changes.

Let's see what Admon suggests on weekdays.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how do you select the photo to upload?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
The EXIF data comes from the device it was taken on. Sometimes that data is wrong.

Only way to resolve is to re-save in the correct orientation and then upload.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.