Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Completed - Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by lin821
The way I see it would be a consistent and systemwise approach to address the post counts issue. I sincerely hope this TB can think outside the box and really makes a statement on a yet-to-be-seen well-put proposal about post counts in general (IF this TB really insists on presenting a proposal about post counts and advise Randy to "possibly" change his set mind.).
In your view what would this proposal look like? What kinds of posts deserve being counted on FT and which don't?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Randy's position on the matter is quite easy to understand. Dialogue as bludgeon is what some fail to grasp.
Why even have a TB then? If Randy's position is the only one that matters, what are we all doing here talking about this?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:46 am

Can I add one more thing?

Randy's turning off of OMNI post counts hasn't done anything to curb the OMNI games. This morning on my OMNI front page are 6 game threads.

Turns out maybe they don't care about the post counts and just like the games?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Oh, three posts in a row. Bad, bad, magiciansampras.

I'm tired of all those who keep saying it's Randy's sandbox. It's our sandbox and supposedly Internet Brands' business venture. Just like airline and hotel frequent flyer programs there's little effort these days (this universal decision without any public discussion, the ongoing technical issues that take a back seat to some other unspecified IB priority, etc.) around here with regards to customer service.

We are the customers of FT. We should've been consulted on this monumental change via our elected representatives (TalkBoard). Those that continue to deify management and put management on a pedestal (deserved or otherwise), why? I just don't get it. We are the customers!
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've said it many times before in other threads, so I'll just go on record in this one as favoring restoration of post counts in OMNI for a variety of reasons, the biggest one of which is fostering community among FT posters who regard this as a cyber-destination to hang out with fun and interesting people as well as a tremendous resource for travel information.

I'd also note that TB exists, two members have made a motion and are now soliciting feedback on the merits of the motion. I've provided mine.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm tired of all those who keep saying it's Randy's sandbox. It's our sandbox and supposedly Internet Brands' business venture. Just like airline and hotel frequent flyer programs there's little effort these days (this universal decision without any public discussion, the ongoing technical issues that take a back seat to some other unspecified IB priority, etc.) around here with regards to customer service.

We are the customers of FT. We should've been consulted on this monumental change via our elected representatives (TalkBoard). Those that continue to deify management and put management on a pedestal (deserved or otherwise), why? I just don't get it. We are the customers!
So, the customer is always right? All customers are desirable customers? (Not a personal jab, just a generalization)

Should airlines make their business plans and models around what some of the more vocal frequent flyers want, i.e. DYKWIA?!?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
So, the customer is always right? All customers are desirable customers? (Not a personal jab, just a generalization)

Should airlines make their business plans and models around what some of the more vocal frequent flyers want, i.e. DYKWIA?!?
No, but they shouldn't be ignored or belittled or constantly reminded by others of management's "generosity" either. It's patronizing.

Last edited by RichMSN; Feb 16, 2008 at 11:12 am
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:03 am

So, the customer is always right?
In the absence of a reason why not, I think yes.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
No, but they shouldn't be ignored or belittled or constantly reminded by others of management's "generosity" either. It's patronizing.
^
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

a good place to start is acknowledging that apparently some "customers" are just as fanatic about their FT post count & status as they are about their hotel/airline points & status @:-) a successful business will find solutions to serve many segments of the market @:-)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nroscoe
a good place to start is acknowledging that apparently some "customers" are just as fanatic about their FT post count & status as they are about their hotel/airline points & status @:-) a successful business will find solutions to serve many segments of the market @:-)
Ah, but a successful business often realizes it cannot be all things to all people and concentrates on the things it does well. @:-)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:32 pm

Ah, but a successful business often realizes it cannot be all things to all people and concentrates on the things it does well. @:-)
How in the world does not counting OMNI posts in a post-count take away from what FT does well?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
How in the world does not counting OMNI posts in a post-count take away from what FT does well?
The discussion I've been having with you, RichMSN, nroscoe, and wr_schwab is of a general nature and not specifically applicable to persons (as I said earlier) or Omni post counts.

Perhaps the host of this website feels that such post counts take away from the experience that he wants to provide?

I'm not going to presume to speak for him, but I'd really need to see a huge potential negative dividend for me to advise him to change his mind on such a matter. Like it or not, this isn't a pure democracy - there are going to be some aspects of FlyerTalk, a private internet bulletin board, that will be implemented by the owners/hosts of this bulletin board without taking a sample of the mood of the community. Other TalkBoard members and FlyerTalkers may feel differently.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:48 pm

Perhaps the host of this website feels that such post counts take away from the experience that he wants to provide?

I'm not going to presume to speak for him, but I'd really need to see a huge potential negative dividend for me to advise him to change his mind on such a matter.
How about disenfranchisement of the OMNI community?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
How about disenfranchisement of the OMNI community?
How about it?

Some people are happy about the post counts going away, others are not. Some are more vocal than others about this matter. However, I'm still looking for a reason to be rather presumptive and tell the host of this bulletin board that his judgement is unsound and that this decision is some colossal blunder that will destroy the FlyerTalk experience for all users for all time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.