Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why 40 posts per page, in the year 2013, isn't the default (at least for new members).

Maybe I should make a TalkBoard motion to change that.
Or just ask IB to implement it I can't imagine why anyone would want to go through more pages. But that's a separate topic.

I was thinking today when I posted after a post if that counted as a +1 or a 'like'

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
This would be a great feature. Could also call it "Thanks" feature (instead of "Like"). It would actually save a lot of posts, and it would be a good way to reward especially useful posts. German website http://www.vielfliegertreff.de has this system, and I have found it really, really useful. It's a friendly, positive feature with practically no potential for abuse.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by Football Fan
This would be a great feature. Could also call it "Thanks" feature (instead of "Like"). It would actually save a lot of posts, and it would be a good way to reward especially useful posts. German website http://www.vielfliegertreff.de has this system, and I have found it really, really useful. It's a friendly, positive feature with practically no potential for abuse.
I like the idea of having it be "Thanks" instead of "Like". ^

-S
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sarfa33

-S
Me too...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I support the "like" option, which is used on all the other forums I visit. A simple indicTion of agreement and/or appreciation. Quick and easy.

I deplore the "+1" posts, which not only clutter the threads but also indicate, on the forum index, a "new post" ... which on subsequent inspection says nothing new. That's a waste of my time!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I support the "like" option, which is used on all the other forums I visit. A simple indicTion of agreement and/or appreciation. Quick and easy.

I deplore the "+1" posts, which not only clutter the threads but also indicate, on the forum index, a "new post" ... which on subsequent inspection says nothing new. That's a waste of my time!
I totally agree with your assessment. There is nothing wrong with using a "like" button displaying a truncated "like" list and it will eliminate all of the +1 posts by implementing this feature.

IMHO, using "Thanks" instead of "like" is simply a matter of personal taste and there is nothing wrong with the description "like".
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:28 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by mirror74
Me too...
Me three. For example, this is how it would look with a similar vbulletin theme to FT:

Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: The standard ones.
Yes, Yes, Yes! I love these features on other community sites, and it would be a great add to FlyerTalk. (Likes, thanks, either way)
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by wharvey
I would actually find this very distracting and busy.... I honestly want to read the posts for content.... not who else liked it. And it will take up valuable screen space!
Speaking as a regular FTer & not as TB member, I agree (especially if someone posts something that everyone likes - the list of those liking could be longer than the post ).

Cheers.
And I agree with this as well

FWIW & IMO - some people will still post +1 or I agree even if there is a like button, so it's not going to eliminate a perceived problem.

Cheers.
Yup!

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I see a big difference between like & +1

Like = you appreciate or value the post

+1 = you agree with the post, as in you have experience or knowledge with this issue & agree with the post

The two are very different.

I would also see the I-Like-That-Poster mentality & clicking like regardless if the post is of any real value.
--
:like: and +1

:like: and +1 (redux)
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Two thoughts here based on my experience with this feature on other boards.

1) The semantic difference between "Like" and "+1" is not reflected in how people actually use the "Like" feature -- people use the button to express agreement with the content of the post.
2) I have not seen the "Like" feature become a popularity contest -- people are generally pretty good about using the feature to highlight the content rather than the poster.

If the wording of the feature could be changed to be "+1" instead of "Like", would that change people's opinions?

-S
+1

I think the place that it brings the most outsized value is when there are contradictory posts. It can be made clear to newbies or to those who don't know the answer, which of the contradictory posts is correct.

But in general, I just like positive feedback. I think it incentivizes quality content. If I receive 10 Likes for a post, it makes me more likely to take the time to contribute quality content in the future. It's just human nature that we like having our efforts appreciated. And appreciated in a way that doesn't sidetrack and clutter the thread.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by HansGolden
+1

1. I think the place that it brings the most outsized value is when there are contradictory posts. It can be made clear to newbies or to those who don't know the answer, which of the contradictory posts is correct.

2. But in general, I just like positive feedback. I think it incentivizes quality content. If I receive 10 Likes for a post, it makes me more likely to take the time to contribute quality content in the future. It's just human nature that we like having our efforts appreciated. And appreciated in a way that doesn't sidetrack and clutter the thread.
1. So what if you get likes on both contradictory posts? How is someone supposed to determine which of the 2 is correct? I can think of reasons for like, but trying to determine which is correct isn't amongst them.

2. I'm a bit confused on how +1 doesn't also provide positive feedback. And I really don't get how +1s 'clutter' a thread. I actually find the post screenshots above w/ Likes & names listed under a post more distracting/taking up real estate than simple scrolling quickly down a thread w/ some +1s. Of course I also hate avatar wildness, which MP has & so far we haven't - having to get past everyone's avatar for every program they belong to when reading a post is a PITA.

Like koko, I'm not set in stone either way on this one. As he mentioned & I agree with, what someone has written is what determines value to me (or not), not whether what someone has written has a gazillion likes or +1s after it. Also I've never depended on someone posting a like or +1 to validate my post/thought or determine if I'm going to continue to contribute to FT, but that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:56 am

1. So what if you get likes on both contradictory posts? How is someone supposed to determine which of the 2 is correct? I can think of reasons for like, but trying to determine which is correct isn't amongst them.
Whichever has the most likes.

2. I'm a bit confused on how +1 doesn't also provide positive feedback.
It does, but I rarely do it because it clutters threads.

And I really don't get how +1s 'clutter' a thread. I actually find the post screenshots above w/ Likes & names listed under a post more distracting/taking up real estate than simple scrolling quickly down a thread w/ some +1s.
Empirically all the likes (which I've seen range into the hundreds on "post of the year" quality posts) take up 1/2 inch of vertical space max.

OTOH, each individual +1 takes up a minimum of 1.5 inches of vertical space.

(And 1.5 inches is without quoting, which can lead to confusion with intervening posts. If the full quote is quoted, it can take more than 1.5 inches. Or a [snip] quote can be created keeping it at 1.5 inches, but that takes even more time on the part of the +1'er, providing even more disincentive.)

The bottom line for me is that the positive feedback via a like mechanism is:
  1. Easier to do than +1, thus likely to be utilized more often (good for positive feedback)
  2. Empirically takes far less space, thus creates less clutter (good for readability)
  3. Is more likely to be used because it doesn't create clutter (good for positive feedback)
  4. More positive feedback results in more quality content
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Whichever has the most likes.

The bottom line for me is that the positive feedback via a like mechanism is:
  1. Easier to do than +1, thus likely to be utilized more often (good for positive feedback)
  2. Empirically takes far less space, thus creates less clutter (good for readability)
  3. Is more likely to be used because it doesn't create clutter (good for positive feedback)
  4. More positive feedback results in more quality content
I might buy into everything you've mentioned, except I disagree that whichever response has the most likes means it's a correct answer. It could be wrong & if you have folk who don't know any better they'd like it blindly. I actually saw that happen in MP a few times (people posting entirely wrong information & people liking the posts ), which is one reason I don't really pay much attention to like.

I'm not set in stone one way or the other on this issue. But I think like supporters are being naive if they think having like will eliminate plus +1s entirely.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I might buy into everything you've mentioned, except I disagree that whichever response has the most likes means it's a correct answer. It could be wrong & if you have folk who don't know any better they'd like it blindly. I actually saw that happen in MP a few times (people posting entirely wrong information & people liking the posts ), which is one reason I don't really pay much attention to like.

I'm not set in stone one way or the other on this issue. But I think like supporters are being naive if they think having like will eliminate plus +1s entirely.

Cheers.
I would "like" your post. I wouldn't "+1" it.

Or, on a more serious note, "like" means I think your comment adds value to the discussion, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. "+1" signifies agreement. They are different.

Getting many of my posts "liked" has certainly made me feel good about posting on MilePoint, which in turn incentivized me to post more good information.

Of course, it would be even more motivation--and motivation to visit there more often, as it's been awhile since I've been over there--if I could actually do something with the status points generated by likes, like convert them to miles or something.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:09 am

Cheers.
Both of those arguments have the same underlying idea: because it won't fix every problem perfectly, therefore it shouldn't be done. That's not a line of thinking that's very persuasive with me.

Originally Posted by jackal
Or, on a more serious note, "like" means I think your comment adds value to the discussion, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. "+1" signifies agreement. They are different.
Well, if there's interest in this, we should definitely discuss the term we'd end up using, because different terms do mean different things to different people. If we wanted to get really sophisticated, we could do it BuzzFeed style:

Of course, given the keywords BuzzFeed uses, sophisticated is probably not the right term.

Obviously the keywords would have to be radically different and carefully thought through. However, things like: correct, incorrect, cool, funny, etc could work. (I took two seconds to think of those; obviously the community could do better.)

If we wanted to go even more free form, people could just type a single word tag into a box. It would then appear under the post. People could click on the word to add their vote to that word as descriptive of the post. I understand the potential for abuse, but I think the same ToS would simply apply. Just because it's one-word communication doesn't change the fact that it's words and the ToS governs.

I'm not proposing the latter two ideas, just throwing them out as brainstorms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.