Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I see a big difference between like & +1

Like = you appreciate or value the post

+1 = you agree with the post, as in you have experience or knowledge with this issue & agree with the post

The two are very different.
:like: and +1

Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
IMHO, some posts have merit. Others do not. What I care about is whether *I* think a post has merit, not whether other posters think so or not.

So I think a 'like' feature is worthless.

But others feel differently and if someone wants to make a compelling case for them to convinces me that functionality would have benefit for some, I would be up for asking IB to look into it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current

+1 = you agree with the post, as in you have experience or knowledge with this issue & agree with the post

I would also see the I-Like-That-Poster mentality & clicking like regardless if the post is of any real value.
--
Two thoughts here based on my experience with this feature on other boards.

1) The semantic difference between "Like" and "+1" is not reflected in how people actually use the "Like" feature -- people use the button to express agreement with the content of the post.
2) I have not seen the "Like" feature become a popularity contest -- people are generally pretty good about using the feature to highlight the content rather than the poster.

If the wording of the feature could be changed to be "+1" instead of "Like", would that change people's opinions?

-S
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

--
Valid point.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
IMHO, some posts have merit. Others do not. What I care about is whether *I* think a post has merit, not whether other posters think so or not.

So I think a 'like' feature is worthless.

But others feel differently and if someone wants to make a compelling case for them to convinces me that functionality would have benefit for some, I would be up for asking IB to look into it.
Agree with koko - not sure if that's a +1 or a Like

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:36 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new here but yeah, a "like" button or any sort of thumb up would really streamline things and make it easier to read through
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LadyShallot
Hi everyone. I'm new here but yeah, a "like" button or any sort of thumb up would really streamline things and make it easier to read through
How does a "like" button make it easier to read through a thread? I can't quite grasp how it does that.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:37 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tom911
How does a "like" button make it easier to read through a thread? I can't quite grasp how it does that.
My guess is that the person feels a like button would reduce the number of "+1" or "^" posts in a thread, thus making it easier to read the rest of the thread.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
My guess is that the person feels a like button would reduce the number of "+1" or "^" posts in a thread, thus making it easier to read the rest of the thread.
+1
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:58 am

Do +1s take up that much real estate/make it hard to read? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do +1s take up that much real estate/make it hard to read? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Cheers.
It can mean a thread going to multiple pages, depending on your options.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
It can mean a thread going to multiple pages, depending on your options.
Correct.

For me, the rationale is cutting down on multiple long answers that say the same exact thing (a nice side effect would also be a decrease in "^^" or "Yes, yes, yes +1" posts). Note that I am guilty of this at times, which is part of the reason for the suggestion.

FTers are generally encouraged not to create new threads or even new posts with questions if the answer can be found using search functionality. It is also the case that one question may have multiple valid answers. In order to help folks comply with the board's wishes that new threads and posts be kept to a minimum while maximizing the usefulness of existing threads, a "like" or "+1" button might cut down on repetitiveness, thus making threads easier to navigate and generally digest for someone seeking information.

That's my thought, at least. Whether it actually works in practice remains to be seen.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by zcat18
Correct.

For me, the rationale is cutting down on multiple long answers that say the same exact thing (a nice side effect would also be a decrease in "^^" or "Yes, yes, yes +1" posts). Note that I am guilty of this at times, which is part of the reason for the suggestion.

FTers are generally encouraged not to create new threads or even new posts with questions if the answer can be found using search functionality. It is also the case that one question may have multiple valid answers. In order to help folks comply with the board's wishes that new threads and posts be kept to a minimum while maximizing the usefulness of existing threads, a "like" or "+1" button might cut down on repetitiveness, thus making threads easier to navigate and generally digest for someone seeking information.

That's my thought, at least. Whether it actually works in practice remains to be seen.
One of the things that may be helpful is to change your page options so that it shows 20, 30, or even 40 posts/page.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:42 pm

One of the things that may be helpful is to change your page options so that it shows 20, 30, or even 40 posts/page.
That was one of the first things I learned on FT. That & "My Flyertalk" are 2 things that make FT easier.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zcat18
...a "like" or "+1" button might cut down on repetitiveness, thus making threads easier to navigate and generally digest for someone seeking information.
Concur. And SkiAdcock's suggestions are also quite helpful. And speaking of repetition and screen real-estate, turning off seeing folks' signatures can make a huge difference
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That was one of the first things I learned on FT. That & "My Flyertalk" are 2 things that make FT easier.

Cheers.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why 40 posts per page, in the year 2013, isn't the default (at least for new members).

Maybe I should make a TalkBoard motion to change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.