FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:44 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by HansGolden
+1

1. I think the place that it brings the most outsized value is when there are contradictory posts. It can be made clear to newbies or to those who don't know the answer, which of the contradictory posts is correct.

2. But in general, I just like positive feedback. I think it incentivizes quality content. If I receive 10 Likes for a post, it makes me more likely to take the time to contribute quality content in the future. It's just human nature that we like having our efforts appreciated. And appreciated in a way that doesn't sidetrack and clutter the thread.
1. So what if you get likes on both contradictory posts? How is someone supposed to determine which of the 2 is correct? I can think of reasons for like, but trying to determine which is correct isn't amongst them.

2. I'm a bit confused on how +1 doesn't also provide positive feedback. And I really don't get how +1s 'clutter' a thread. I actually find the post screenshots above w/ Likes & names listed under a post more distracting/taking up real estate than simple scrolling quickly down a thread w/ some +1s. Of course I also hate avatar wildness, which MP has & so far we haven't - having to get past everyone's avatar for every program they belong to when reading a post is a PITA.

Like koko, I'm not set in stone either way on this one. As he mentioned & I agree with, what someone has written is what determines value to me (or not), not whether what someone has written has a gazillion likes or +1s after it. Also I've never depended on someone posting a like or +1 to validate my post/thought or determine if I'm going to continue to contribute to FT, but that's just me.

Cheers.