Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
I think there are some people who feel that the games forum motion and this motion were done prematurely, as a solution without a problem, since it is anyone's guess as to if games threads would fill the first page of OMNI.

As far as counting posts, again, to me, part of it is consistency. There was just a vote for consistency, only to now throw this in there and not have consistency again.
They did before, they would again. I remember those days. Instead of ruling that counting threads violated post padding rules already in place, Randy just stopped the counting of all OMNI posts. Back then there were counting games dominating the front page of OMNI.

I am a bit torn because I see the value in the game threads for those who choose to post there. WWBTNFTTP seems very creative. Mornington Crescent is a classic (especially after I became a fan of ISIHAC). To me, the only threads that I see that are completely silly are the counting threads, especially the ones where people post consecutive posts over and over again. But again, that's just my personal opinion. I'd count them all. But I wasn't going be able to get six votes on that.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
As for counting the posts, I've already explained that I was personally for counting everything. But motions on FT require 6 affirmative votes and I had serious doubts that counting OMNI and OMNI/PR posts would get the 6 votes without the compromise that I suggested. I'd rather get most of what I wanted rather than walking away with nothing.

And I do think that the compromise position represents something that is more acceptable to more people, both on and off the TB, so to me it's not a bad thing.
+1

And let me say that RichMSN has set a great example of teamwork on this issue. Some TalkBoard members in the past have preferred to walk away with nothing rather than accept half a loaf. Finding the consensus (the most popular form of an idea) and supporting it works out much better for everyone.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Apparently there are a few of you that simplly want to argue this point until the cows come home.

I'm beginning to think these threads are a post padders dream
And argue they (we) will. Isn't this really the point of all of these threads. Just to debate and add to post count?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's the only reason I post here! ^^

It's also why I ran for TB again...you should SEE the post padding that goes on in there...not to mention the cross-posts to this forum!
Speaking of that, TB postings should not count because it's official business.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:08 am
RKG

Originally Posted by nsx
+1

And let me say that RichMSN has set a great example of teamwork on this issue. Some TalkBoard members in the past have preferred to walk away with nothing rather than accept half a loaf. Finding the consensus (the most popular form of an idea) and supporting it works out much better for everyone.
^^ to RichMSN!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
+1

lol, we're called perfectionists!

But I really DID appreciate he opportunity to vote FOR counting OMNI posts as well as the opportunity to vote against separating out games AND against making the segregated games forum not count. I appreciated being able to have my say on those matters despite the fact that a grand compromise had already been achieved. You guys could have steamrolled me by putting all 3 into one motion, but you didn't. ^

In the end you guys did a great job of coming up with a solution that makes most folks satisfied but no one happy enough to gloat. We'll see how it goes (and here I am obligated to add: if all motions in the grand compromise pass)!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
lol, we're called perfectionists!
That was the OLD koko. I voted for, and got, the NEW koko, who negotiates the best bargain he can and who votes Yes on it in the end. This koko has double the influence of most TB members because:

1. Like the old koko he states his position openly, fully, articulately, and forcefully.

And most especially because:

2. After the debate is done he is wiling to support the final deal.

Without part 2, other members ignore the excellence and effort in part 1. The NEW koko figured this out in the process of leading the overhaul of the TalkBoard Guidelines.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I simply didn't realize that folks were voting on the motion to count OMNI posts with the expectation of certain results in other motions.
FWIW - I wasn't part of the deal some others made. I voted the way I did based on my own judgment, FTers input both on the recent threads & ones a few months ago, etc. I understand why some did the deal, as they thought it solved all the issues as best as they could be solved.

And has been mentioned, sometimes a good compromise works out better than lines in the sand. I think we've got a good TB this year.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My 2p/0.02$ ... games posts may amuse some people but contribute nothing to the basic ethos of FT.

Games should not count.

Call me Mr Miserable, by all means
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
They did before, they would again. I remember those days. Instead of ruling that counting threads violated post padding rules already in place, Randy just stopped the counting of all OMNI posts. Back then there were counting games dominating the front page of OMNI.

I am a bit torn because I see the value in the game threads for those who choose to post there. WWBTNFTTP seems very creative. Mornington Crescent is a classic (especially after I became a fan of ISIHAC). To me, the only threads that I see that are completely silly are the counting threads, especially the ones where people post consecutive posts over and over again. But again, that's just my personal opinion. I'd count them all. But I wasn't going be able to get six votes on that.
IIRC, there's only 1 counting game that is still on-going, so I don't see that dominating the front page of OMNI.

I get that the "deal" that was brokered is all about making most of the people feel great, and that most on TalkBoard feel they can pat themselves on the back and say how wonderful it is because they worked out a compromise. However, for those who wanted all posts to count or no posts to count, I don't see this "deal" as a victory. I see it as creating yet another group of "second-class" citizens, because those who participate in games that build community (WWBTNFTTP for example) will not have those posts treated the same as someone who posts something similar in a lounge thread.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, there's only 1 counting game that is still on-going, so I don't see that dominating the front page of OMNI.

I get that the "deal" that was brokered is all about making most of the people feel great, and that most on TalkBoard feel they can pat themselves on the back and say how wonderful it is because they worked out a compromise. However, for those who wanted all posts to count or no posts to count, I don't see this "deal" as a victory. I see it as creating yet another group of "second-class" citizens, because those who participate in games that build community (WWBTNFTTP for example) will not have those posts treated the same as someone who posts something similar in a lounge thread.
Sometimes compromise leaves nobody feeling like they "won." I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not patting myself on the back, BTW. I didn't get everything I wanted either. But sometimes it's better to get some than nothing.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Maybe the fact that a proposal can't get 6 votes on its own should tell you something about the merits of that proposal.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I see it as creating yet another group of "second-class" citizens, because those who participate in games that build community (WWBTNFTTP for example) will not have those posts treated the same as someone who posts something similar in a lounge thread.
I appreciate that and thank you for those thoughts.

However, I have asked those who regularly participate in that game, and they do not really care whether the content they post in that thread “counts” or not — and as the creator of that game, neither do I.

It appears as though — at least in the case of that thread — whatever the members of TalkBoard decide is fine with us, for what that is worth.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Maybe the fact that a proposal can't get 6 votes on its own should tell you something about the merits of that proposal.
Clearly it needed the two proposals that were made subsequent to the original one in order to get six votes. Apparently that worked because it got SEVEN.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I bumped up about 6 games in a row last week just to remind myself what it looked like before. I can bump them up again if you'd like. They'll be a lot more FTers than me bumping those threads onto the first page if they accrue towards post count. No doubt in my mind after seeing FTers rack up 20K-30K in number counting threads when they did count.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911

What value to do you see with these numbers? There's no socializing here, or discussion, or even comments on the weather. Each would be a single post if I posted them in OMNI and I'd get 5 more post counts if they counted. Easier to rack up posts that way than write trip reports or a couple paragraphs on the State of the Union. I could be a FT Posting Legend in a matter of days.
Because someone finds value in it or they wouldn't do it. Others say they have made friends through some games. Once again they are red headed step children and some find value in it.

I've read these forums and NUMEROUS times saw count all or it isn't fair. Do this and a month later it will be brought up for a vote again.

Let's make everyone of equal value (except for under 180 posters) and be done with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.