Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does LX release F seats for awards ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by LHSEN
This is just 1 data point … I think we need to collect more from others to see if there is any meaningful patterns, or just completely random, or someone sitting behind a computer and happens to be in a good mood to start clearing upgrades … :-)
Definitely.

I would be really interested whether upgrades from J to F only cleared at the gate for some here, as it has never happened to me.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Maybe also mention whether HON or SEN … and specifically of interest is from C to F.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:46 am

Maybe also mention whether HON or SEN … and specifically of interest is from C to F.

In my case, it's SEN, and usually only J to F, as I either book F or upgrade to F (particularly on LH, will occasionally risk a ride in J on LX).
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
SEN, used 70k miles ea. for two pax J-->F at the end of December for LX 41. Both cleared at the gate, but only at the VERY last minute, after I was told, "Sorry, it didn't work out" by the person working the desk. We got in line to board in Business, and just as the line started to move, they called my name to upgrade both tix.

We got no use of the F lounge out of those 140k miles, which was disappointing.

Of note: When we arrived at the airport and checked our bags, EF was showing F2, but nonetheless LX strung me along until the last possible moment.
worldclubber likes this.

Last edited by Fennario; Feb 27, 2024 at 5:59 am
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Fennario
SEN, used 70k miles ea. for two pax J-->F at the end of December for LX 41. Both cleared at the gate, but only at the VERY last minute, after I was told, "Sorry, it didn't work out" by the person working the desk. We got in line to board in Business, and just as the line started to move, they called my name to upgrade both tix.

We got no use of the F lounge out of those 140k miles, which was disappointing.

Of note: When we arrived at the airport and checked our bags, EF was showing F2, but nonetheless LX strung me along until the last possible moment.
That's very disappointing: No ground services but still asking for full miles. Maybe I should withdraw my offer for an upcoming flight from ZRH. Would work to ZRH though.

You said 70k per person, so it must have been in a "low" business booking class (P, Z). Maybe that was related to the late decision!?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
That's very disappointing: No ground services but still asking for full miles. Maybe I should withdraw my offer for an upcoming flight from ZRH. Would work to ZRH though.

You said 70k per person, so it must have been in a "low" business booking class (P, Z). Maybe that was related to the late decision!?
I just checked. You are correct: the booking class was P. I'm not following why the original booking class would make any difference to the late decision, though. I figure that they just wanted to make sure that they didn't have to offer up any lounge time.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:05 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
At least loyalty does not mean much to them and, in return, our loyalty is limited, too. Not sure that's the ideal combination, long term.
Captive market, no worries for LH group, they can basically do what they want. In addition people might still aspire to become SEN. Older people like myself slowly arriving at the end of the road may be more selective, especially after having achieved Lifetime SEN and being unable to use evouchers and miles.

someone sitting behind a computer and happens to be in a good mood to start clearing upgrades … :-)
What a romantic picture .
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:34 am

I just checked. You are correct: the booking class was P. I'm not following why the original booking class would make any difference to the late decision, though. I figure that they just wanted to make sure that they didn't have to offer up any lounge time.
The factors that influence the order of upgrades is type of upgrade (cash, eVoucher, miles), status and booking class of the ticket. P doesn't give you an edge over anybody really, so maybe they were waiting for other pax to upgrade before ging it to you.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Captive market, no worries for LH group, they can basically do what they want. In addition people might still aspire to become SEN. Older people like myself slowly arriving at the end of the road may be more selective, especially after having achieved Lifetime SEN and being unable to use evouchers and miles.
It is particularly the low availability of award flights and upgrades that makes me reconsider my loyalty with LHG. And the interaction with their customer (we don't) care department.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:48 am

The factors that influence the order of upgrades is type of upgrade (cash, eVoucher, miles), status and booking class of the ticket. P doesn't give you an edge over anybody really, so maybe they were waiting for other pax to upgrade before ging it to you.
Interesting. By that logic, they would rather take a higher booking class that nets them fewer miles? I can see how they might hope to sell a last-minute EMD for cash, but if it comes down to taking 70k miles over 50k, I would think that they'd prefer the former. Ah well, I don't pretend to understand any of the inner workings of airlines, but I do know that getting strung along until the gate opens is likely to make most elites question how much they are valued as customers.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:06 am

... but I do know that getting strung along until the gate opens is likely to make most elites question how much they are valued as customers.
Totally agree. If upgrades with miles and eVouchers are supposed to make FFers happier and more loyal, they have been doing the opposite for a while now, as they seem to frustrate many status customers.
vantage03 and Fennario like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Trying to confirm an upgrade D to F for ZRH-GRU in five days. Current booking situation F5 A0 J9.

Firm comment from Core customer Care: „Nothing we can do today to confirm, please call again one day before departure“.

So much for their loyalty program. Disappointing. Time to move business somewhere else.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Trying to confirm an upgrade D to F for ZRH-GRU in five days. Current booking situation F5 A0 J9.

Firm comment from Core Customer Care: „Nothing we can do today to confirm, please call again one day before departure“.

So much for their loyalty program. Disappointing. Time to move business somewhere else.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Ziegenhorn

Firm comment from Core Customer Care: „Nothing we can do today to confirm, please call again one day before departure“.

A is basically zeroed out because of the strike threats, currently serious for SN & OS, who knows when or if LH Staff join in ….

But Carsten was busy telling Richard Quest, everything in the garden is Rosy
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ziegenhorn

If you are trying to use either eV or miles, then most probably you won't hear from LX up until ca. 10 hours before departure. In my experience, LX92/93 sells quite well for cash in F, so they really hang on to F seat as much as possible before releasing it for either eV or miles. I flew LX93 a few weeks ago. A day before the flight the booking was F4A0 and LX still would not confirm upgrade from D to A with eV. On the day of departure, they finally confirmed space in O. The flight went with 8/8.
The same seems to be going on for LX180/181. Last month my upgrade with eV from Z to A cleared 20 minutes before the boarding started (and after check in was closed).
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.