Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank & ANA
Originally Posted by Tudway
Well, I don't use Twitter, but used Messenger to chase. This was the response, in the small hours of Friday morning :

Hello [Tudway], I am truly sorry for the delay with the refund. After checking your booking, I'm glad to inform you that your refund has been processed today for all 3 tickets. The amount may take some time to reflect in your account. Thank you very much for your patience thus far. If you need anything else, please feel free to contact us again. Kind regards, [Xxxxxxxxxxx].

So, now I'll wait a week and see...
you are so lucky!

i lodged my request since February 28 and SWISS is still fooling me around repeatedly by "your request is being forward to responsible department"
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tudway
Data point: Refund arrived today.
Looks like I should give Chase another call/chat as I'm now approaching four months since beginning this refund saga. I'm very glad to read your success!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:32 pm

Another datapoint:

LX ticket with two LH segments on the outbound and two LX segment on the inbound.
one of two LX segments cancelled in late June, submitted refund request via the LX website
LH segments cancelled in early July, about a week prior to travel. Called the LX USA line to again request a refund
On 8/16, sent twitter DM to inquire about refund status after seeing the messages above
On 8/17, received a standard twitter DM response about the refund being worked on but later in the day also received an email that the refund has been approved and would be issued soon
On 8/20, the refund showed up on my card with a 8/18 posting date.
TEDisgone likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I decided to give Chase travel another call to check on my status and the agent took some time to read over the numerous notes from all my previous calls to see what happened. He found the notes on agents having to email Swiss with no way to directly apply for a refund but didn't see any resolution. He checked the system again and said "Huh, I'm not sure why it didn't go through before but it looks like I can process your refund now". Three days later, the refund is back on my card. 16+ weeks, but it sounds like my case wasn't handled correctly by the travel agency so not all the fault of Swiss.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, the LH Group had switched off the automated refund system for TAs till recently, so they would have had to email a special clearing office to refund.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Question for the group: I had a Z fare for Spain from
the US earlier this summer but could not travel due to government restrictions re: entering the EU. I put in a refund request online as directed by the agent when I called to cancel my ticket. Will I receive a credit or refund back to my credit card? The agent said it is up to the refund department. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Refunds always go back to the original form of payment.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Refunds always go back to the original form of payment.
Thanks. So, since I had to cancel my flights due to Covid-travel restrictions, I will receive a refund rather than a travel credit? The flights still flew from the US to ZRH to Spain, but I couldn’t travel due to not being allowed entry into the EU.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCjd
Thanks. So, since I had to cancel my flights due to Covid-travel restrictions, I will receive a refund rather than a travel credit? The flights still flew from the US to ZRH to Spain, but I couldn’t travel due to not being allowed entry into the EU.
If you voluntarily cancelled your booking you would only receive a refund as per the fare rules.

You may have been able to get a flight voucher had you applied for that and preserved the value of your booking https://compensation.swiss.com/conte...300.1599584582
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NYCjd
Didn't you have the option of a change to the booking? I think you should have taken that.

If you ‘chose’ not to travel I think you just get back what the fate rule specify, which is probably a bit of tax.

Edit: I see question was already answered in a similar vein.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
If you voluntarily cancelled your booking you would only receive a refund as per the fare rules.

You may have been able to get a flight voucher had you applied for that and preserved the value of your booking https://compensation.swiss.com/conte...300.1599584582
Thanks very much for your help! That is indeed what Swiss had in the queue — just a refund of taxes on two tickets that cost nearly $3K each! The very friendly agent cancelled the refund request and we have until end of January 2021 to book another flight with the credit from these tickets.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Anyone had any luck getting a refund from Swiss?

My connection to Edinburgh was moved 2 days forward but the first flight didn't change. Obviously didn't want to stay in Switzerland for two days. So refused the new flight.

​​​​​​Email said to phone them, the call operator said to fill out a form (didn't get any confirmation email).

So just wondering if anyone had been successful getting a refund or am I better doing a charge back with my card?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by majortom421
I received an email today that my August flights from USA to Switzerland to USA had been canceled due to the coronavirus. The email offered me the options of agreeing to new dates for the flights or using my ticket later. There was no mention of the possibility of a refund.

I called the Service Center and was on hold for less than one minute. The agent was polite and, when I requested a full refund, she immediately agreed that I was entitled to one because Swiss Air had canceled the flights. She put me on hold for about five minutes to contact the department that processes refunds. When she came back on the line she informed me that the refund would be processed in six to eight weeks, maybe a little longer. She also told me that I would receive a confirmation email regarding the refund in one day.

Although I am not happy about having to wait a couple of months to get my money back, I am satisfied overall with the result and the fact that it was much easier than I expected. I will not initiate a charge back with AMEX at this time.
Update: Finally received my refund today - 72 days after my request.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:43 pm

MMB Flight Cancel

Anyone any idea how long a codeshare flight cancellation will take before appearing in MMB? LX9521 December 6th has ‘Flight Cancel’ but no prompt or email to change/voucher/refund booking.

Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
That's a code share flight operated by Cathay Pacific - so Swiss will wait until they got their official cancellation before they do anything...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.