Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Q2 Promo: Get a free weekend night for every 2 stays + 1K DL or NW miles 9FWFN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Q2 Promo: Get a free weekend night for every 2 stays + 1K DL or NW miles 9FWFN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Thank you, k_getchell, for your well considered response.

The negativity that surprises me is how hostile some, not you, are towards a board member who simply didn't find this promotion to his liking.

I wasn't writing in support of zacktravel's argument, just to state that it is not unreasonable to express a negative view of a promotion.

In one of the preceding posts are the words of a leading SPG apologist that this was predictable -- both the limited redemption opportunities and that disgruntled (perhaps novice) SPG members would grumble.

Well, he was right (as he most frequently is) and we are witnessing a few grumbles. I think it an amazing breach of FT civility to treat the predictable and the understandable so harshly.

Live and learn, one supposes.

Safe Travels!
I think part of it has to do with human nature = trying to reap the most possible gain out of something

I know people who with Hyatts FFN dont decide where to go based on the destination but rather based on the amount of $$$ saved. So if there was say a Hyatt in Allentown,Pa that was $1000 a night thats where they would want to go

I try to use them at a Hotel in a location that I want to go to. If I have no need to be in Allentown,Pa it can be $10,000 a night I wouldnt use my pts or cert for a free stay there

At the same time if I need or want very much to be in Allentown and cant get in for whatever reason, then even thou Bethlehem is a cat or 2 below Allentown, since its very close to Allentown, Id cash in for there, as I would want to be as close as I can get to Allentown

I dont know of many promos where everyone single person is satisfied. But I feel that this promo by SPG came extremely close to be being the 1.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I certainly am thankful for any promo any loyalty program provides for me. With DEQM ending it was a windfall for me and many others.

With FFN at SPG I earned only 2 but I will use them and feel like I'm a VIP staying for free, even in a standard room.

We can critique the promo's but complaining about them goes a little far for my taste. Vote with your business as complaining on a website isn't going to make you happy.

SPG ^
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tommy777
Redeeming them for 3 weekends at a nightly average of 350USD netting over 2000 bucks.
That's as bad as people who say their First Class frequent flyer ticket is worth $20,000 just because that's what the airline charges. First of all, cost != value. Second, would you have stayed those nights if it hadn't been free? If not (like most people I suspect), your actual net is $0.00.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Second, would you have stayed those nights if it hadn't been free? If not (like most people I suspect), your actual net is $0.00.
Come on now, I bet he would have paid AT LEAST $3 for each of those "free" nights. Definitely not $0.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's as bad as people who say their First Class frequent flyer ticket is worth $20,000 just because that's what the airline charges. First of all, cost != value. Second, would you have stayed those nights if it hadn't been free? If not (like most people I suspect), your actual net is $0.00.
Well even if you don't value the room at the rack rate, and wouldn't have stayed without the promo, surely a weekend away from home has some intrinsic value, if only for the relaxation and enjoyment of having a couple of nights somewhere special? Generally I value award stays/flights etc as somewhere between zero and their full cost price, depending on how much I wanted to go. Seems to work better for me than the alternative approach that I have seen on FT in which people put a blanket valuation of so many $ per mile/point regardless of how they are used.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Unless you're staying at a St. Regis in N. America, your stay is at least worth 500 SPG points if you're a plat.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If at first you don't succeed,,,,,

Been calling for the last week every day for a FWN at the SLS "Beverly Hills"as I have an event on Saturday night in WeHo and really wanted to stay the night.
Always told no standard rooms available till today!
Got the room!
So do not give up hope.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:16 pm

Someone just gave me a free house!

I wasn't planning on buying a house. So I guess it isn't worth anything...

Cheers,
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flews
I wasn't planning on buying a house. So I guess it isn't worth anything...
These days, that may be more true than you think.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
No one has received the Delta/NW miles from this promo yet, have they?

It said they would be deposited 3-4 weeks after July 31st, so they seem to be running late...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by moulder3
No one has received the Delta/NW miles from this promo yet, have they?

It said they would be deposited 3-4 weeks after July 31st, so they seem to be running late...
4 weeks after July 31= Aug 28
Today is Aug 24. Doesn't seem late to me.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:18 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pitbrian
4 weeks after July 31= Aug 28
Today is Aug 24. Doesn't seem late to me.
You should clearly ratchet up your expectations! :P
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:36 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Still no miles for me - as of this morning (8/28).
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by peteropny
Still no miles for me - as of this morning (8/28).
Yeah. Two to three days to go.

What was the last day for transfers between DL & NW?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by holtju2
What was the last day for transfers between DL & NW?
8/31

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.