Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:30 am

slippers!

See #3 here ...

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...awaii-answered
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
SGS offers SPG Plats more benefits than any other SPG hotel in the system. Rossini's is a new addition for free Plat breakfast and I appreciate the choice. Rossini's is an upscale restaurant and as such should have a dress code. Anyone who doesn't want to abide by the simple dress code can choose not to have breakfast at Rossini's.

I'm surprised at the number of negative responses on this subject. You guys are free to leave SGS to those who love the hotel and what Richard Chapman has done. All over freaking slippers.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm surprised at the number of negative responses on this subject. .
All 2 or 3 negative responses? And they aren't allowed to discuss it here?

-David
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The point is for us to discuss how to improve things... I love SGS as well and stayed 3 times there last year, however, I find the portion sizes at Rossini's too small. I am certainly not a glutton so don't need Orchid but would appreciate being able to order more than one item off the menu. The last time I ordered a steak it was like 3-4 bite sizes. If Rossini's is supposed to be an upscale choice, then it should be upscale a la Vana Belle's breakfast which is spectacular (one can order as much as they want off a menu) or at least be able to order a bit more/ have more flexibility when ordering. But I would be fine if portion sizes were larger.

And for me, I don't like a dress code for breakfast in a tropical area when on vacation. And yes I would choose to go elsewhere than SGS if I have to worry about what my family is wearing to eat in the morning. SGS has a choice on its dress codes etc, just like we have a choice to spend elsewhere despite liking SGS. I actually stayed at Plaza Athenee twice last year instead of SGS precisely because the breakfast there is more substantial (yet relaxed) tha Rossini's.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Rossini's is a new addition for free Plat breakfast and I appreciate the choice.
Actually, this choice has been in place for quite some time. It seems that I have been going to Rossini's for breakfast for at least a couple of years.

Rossini's is an upscale restaurant and as such should have a dress code.
I agree and don't appreciate when other properties (think about another LC hotel) have a dress code stated at the entrance of their lounge + benefits letter and do not enforce it. It separates the guests between the ones that are respectful of the policy and the ones that think that it is not meant for them.

You guys are free to leave SGS to those who love the hotel and what Richard Chapman has done. All over freaking slippers.
Not sure that there is a need to address other participants in that way when they do not agree with a policy of a hotel. We all know the choices that we have, but feedback is an essential element of the hospitality industry.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Talking of thongs (as in underwear basically) there has been a guy wearing them poolside next to the jacuzzi over the last two or more days and that to me is out of order. He’s as good as naked! Of my seven nights here, I alternate between Rossini’s and the Sala for breakfast. I find the latter especially relaxing.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Talking of thongs (as in underwear basically) there has been a guy wearing them poolside next to the jacuzzi over the last two or more days and that to me is out of order. He’s as good as naked! Of my seven nights here, I alternate between Rossini’s and the Sala for breakfast. I find the latter especially relaxing.
Those two bits of information could use a segue in between.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Wow, such a bug fuss over thongs/flip-flops.

I would rather the hotel have a no phone/camera policy at their restaurants, better yet, anyone who talks over a certain decibel level should be spoken to, then evicted if the need to be asked the second time.

Yes I am serious.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
The point is for us to discuss how to improve things... I love SGS as well and stayed 3 times there last year, however, I find the portion sizes at Rossini's too small. I am certainly not a glutton so don't need Orchid but would appreciate being able to order more than one item off the menu. The last time I ordered a steak it was like 3-4 bite sizes. If Rossini's is supposed to be an upscale choice, then it should be upscale a la Vana Belle's breakfast which is spectacular (one can order as much as they want off a menu) or at least be able to order a bit more/ have more flexibility when ordering. But I would be fine if portion sizes were larger.
Portion size too small? What's wrong with Orchid or The Sala? That's what choices are for. Prefer a larger steak? Steaks are available at Orchid, too! One isn't enough? Go back and have another! No limits in Orchid!! Personally, I find it unproductive and unhelpful say that there's another property which serves a better breakfast. Of course there is! It all depends on your criteria for what makes a good breakfast. Why stop at at Vana Belle? I was at Prince de Galles (another LC property) in May, 2017, and the PLT breakfast wasn't even close to that of SGS. Although I haven't made any type of scientific study, I would be willing to bet that the SGS breakfast offerings are at or near the top of LC properties in terms of choice, variety, different types of foods, different styles of venues, and the like.

And for me, I don't like a dress code for breakfast in a tropical area when on vacation.
I completely understand. Have breakfast at the Sala in your swimwear! They'll even serve breakfast to you at your sun lounger, if you prefer. One might reasonably classify Rossini's as the premier restaurant of SGS. Can you name a lot of other five star properties at which you can dine in their premier restaurant in swimsuits? I can't.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I would rather the hotel have a no phone/camera policy at their restaurants, better yet, anyone who talks over a certain decibel level should be spoken to, then evicted if the need to be asked the second time.
Reading your comment about the no camera policy, I was reminded of the scene in The Godfather where they're at Connie's wedding and someone snaps a photo of Barzini. He snaps his fingers, and one of his men grabs the camera, removes the film, and hands it to Don Barzini. I don't mind photos at all in restaurants. I am, however, COMPLETELY with you on people whose volume exceeds that which would normally be considered polite. No need for a decibel meter, it's usually obvious when it happens, and the management of any restaurant is entitled to enforce a certain level of decorum.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:26 am

I find it unproductive to say that if I don't like portion sizes at rossini’s I should just go to another restaurant and not say I would like to be able to order more. I can certainly say how I would like to improve Rossini’s much as many here say they want a dress code, and others say they don’t. Or want certain phone decibel levels... that is the point of FT.

i would like to have more food than what is offered but not in the hectic atmosphere of Orchid. Shame on me i guess for offering an opinion or letting other people know about the limits at Rossini’s. I was not made aware of food portion limits at rossini until after I ate there... and I never knew Sala was an option until my 3rd or 4th stay.

PDG has a terrible breakfast, notnup to standard. And they should be called out for it. While Vana Belle should be lauded. All are LC
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I find it unproductive to say that if I don't like portion sizes at rossini’s I should just go to another restaurant and not say I would like to be able to order more. I can certainly say how I would like to improve Rossini’s much as many here say they want a dress code, and others say they don’t. Or want certain phone decibel levels... that is the point of FT.

i would like to have more food than what is offered but not in the hectic atmosphere of Orchid. Shame on me i guess for offering an opinion or letting other people know about the limits at Rossini’s. I was not made aware of food portion limits at rossini until after I ate there... and I never knew Sala was an option until my 3rd or 4th stay.
I think that perhaps you misinterpreted what I said. Or perhaps I wasn't completely clear. Nothing at all wrong with offering an opinion or exchanging ideas here. That's what FT is for, of course. I was trying to point out that there are already solutions in place for some of the things you say that you prefer, and that SGS offers a number of different options. I doubt that any of us will find a lot of properties that operate precisely as we want. What we can do, however, is prioritize our preferences and then select properties at which we stay based on how well they provide what's important to us.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:34 am

Absolutely fantastic that they are enforcing dress code. I like it. Brings more class to the whole experience.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear newshound,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and taking the time to share your feedback about the Executive breakfast at Rossini’s.

With regards to our dress code, we do try and satisfy the feelings of all of our guests by providing various options – shorts are permitted at the Sala, basil, Orchid Café and Rossini’s for breakfast only, whereas at Rossini’s for dinner and the Living Room (after 8.00 pm.) we do request guests to refrain from wearing shorts, flip flop slippers, tank top etc. Pertaining to the flip-flops for breakfast, we have always had a “no flip-flop slippers” policy for breakfast at Rossini’s since its inception in January 2016. I acknowledge and regret that our team has not consistent in re-enforcing this policy. I have brought this up to the attention of our Executive Assistant Manager in charge of Food & Beverage to emphasize to Rossini’s restaurant manager on this dress code and to ensure it is implemented at all times. I will also ensure with our Director of Rooms that this is properly communicated in the welcome letter inviting our valued SPG Platinum and Gold members to avoid any further disappointment.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Glad to see it. There are enough options and if someone wants to dress casual they can go to other venues. I like Rossini's and value the atmosphere as upscale, being clear and consistent will keep it that way.

Kudos.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:53 pm

Clearly in a terribly unscientific study, many on FT like the enforcement of Rossini's rules on dress code even if I don't. So that is a good choice for SGS to do this as probably there was enough feedback to Richard etc to improve that angle. Key word is feedback.

While a dress code is not might cup of tea in the tropics (I was denied entry once to lounge at ROS and never went back because I don't bring long pants when on holiday in a tropical area and specifically go to Plaza Athenee because they are more flexible in enforcement). A dress code for Rossini's is obviously perfectly warranted a policy if the small subset here can be extrapolated to the larger plat/ suite population. Heck, I might be an outlier as I wear shorts and a t shirt often to work...

My own point is that I would like to give feedback to Richard here as he does read this, that I would hope Rossini's would have larger portion sizes/ little more flexibility on ordering. I am not saying a full buffet (because you are right there is a choice of Orchid for that) but I left Rossini's 3 times last time I was there hungry. And they wouldn't give me a steak with egg white scrambled eggs if I recall... had to be fried egg.

I suggested that more flexibility would be good and will keep doing so until I here the policy has changed (though Richard once posted here it wouldn't). Until then I will go to Orchid or PA's buffet if with my family as they like buffets. I'd only return to SGS if myself most likely. Since I usually take up 2-3 other rooms when I travel to BKK, then that is a revenue loss for SGS simply because of breakfast. I had 8 people or so with me last time and it was impossible to find a seat at Orchid (mgr there wouldn't even let us put seats together) so ended up in the less desirable restaurant next to Rossini's (cant remember name). That was not a dining experience anyone of us liked particularly.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Mr Chapman, thanks for taking the time to respond.

IMO, if his team are more consistent with the enforcement and better communicate the requirements to guests this should put the issue to bed.

We may not all like the dress requirements the property imposes but that's their right and as mentioned, we do have plenty of other choices.
LIH Prem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.