Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I've stayed at St Regis Singapore number of times and have found butler to be useless for anything other than cleaning baby bottles, which they return steam cleaned on a silver tray.

They have managed to botch up every simple request I've made of them (other than baby bottle cleaning) which seems to be a function of poor English comprehension skills. I still don't quite get what language to speak in Singapore. I honestly get more traction with my broken Korean in Seoul than with English in Singapore.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
I've stayed at St Regis Singapore number of times and have found butler to be useless for anything other than cleaning baby bottles, which they return steam cleaned on a silver tray.

They have managed to botch up every simple request I've made of them (other than baby bottle cleaning) which seems to be a function of poor English comprehension skills. I still don't quite get what language to speak in Singapore. I honestly get more traction with my broken Korean in Seoul than with English in Singapore.
Guess your broken Korean is better than English then.
Try speaking Mandarin perhaps. Singapore has a great number of Chinese people nowadays who can't speak English and caters to the growing China market.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
I still don't quite get what language to speak in Singapore. I honestly get more traction with my broken Korean in Seoul than with English in Singapore.
They speak SINGLISH, a variation of English!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Tshi
In most cases when the service provider charge 10% service charge to the total bill, this 10% goes to a central pool which will be shared among all service staff either monthly or fortnightly.

I used to work in a hotel restaurant during my school days in Singapore. I will receive my share of the 10% fortnightly. It's shared among all floor staff and kitchen staff.

That's great to hear, because as consumers we're always worried that it goes straight to the employer's profit
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dd1612
I always love this short clip of Ruby Pan, on her views of English in Singapore.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AqG1YFURk
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dd1612
This is more of a problem with somewhat less educated Singaporeans, although the StR has a lot of staff from the Phillippines (compared to Raffles, which is proud of their Maylasian staff). English is the/an official language, although Singaporeans of Chinese ethnicity are expected to learn Chinese in school too. I would expect the butlers to speak English very week and I've never had problems with this among the butlers, although I did once have an issue with the hostess at the casual restaurant by the pool and the supposed explanation was that she didn't understand (simple clear) English.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Doesn't matter what your educational background is when it comes to speaking Singlish.

Singaporeans are composed of difference races, Singlish can comprise of english/chinese (and dialects)/malay/tamil all in one sentence.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Coffee? Tea? What else?

So I can tell that you get coffee and tea. Maybe clothes packed/unpacked and even pressed. But if you are going to a StR where there is pretty much nothing around (Bora Bora) what else can they do? Arrange for scuba/snorkeling? Bring the gear? Get you a golf cart or bike?

I'm not used to someone waiting on me and really don't think this is a huge benefit personally, but am I missing something? I'm not trying to be snarky or disrespectful, but can you ask them to hop over to the market and pick up some Hinano so you don't pay $15 each at the resort? That would be handy and I would certainly compensate them for their time.

I guess I'm just trying to determine if I will even use a butler or not.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:08 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
So I can tell that you get coffee and tea. Maybe clothes packed/unpacked and even pressed. But if you are going to a StR where there is pretty much nothing around (Bora Bora) what else can they do? Arrange for scuba/snorkeling? Bring the gear? Get you a golf cart or bike?

I'm not used to someone waiting on me and really don't think this is a huge benefit personally, but am I missing something? I'm not trying to be snarky or disrespectful, but can you ask them to hop over to the market and pick up some Hinano so you don't pay $15 each at the resort? That would be handy and I would certainly compensate them for their time.

I guess I'm just trying to determine if I will even use a butler or not.
Think of them as concierge and room service combined. They will do things you request, but clearly if you ask for beer they are going to get it from room service, not an external store.

Also, they may delegate duties outside the hotel to the concierge or other staff.

My assessment is they tend to look after a certain floor.

In Princeville our Butler was assigned to all of the top tier suites, i.e. only the top 3.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Think of them as concierge and room service combined. They will do things you request, but clearly if you ask for beer they are going to get it from room service, not an external store.

Also, they may delegate duties outside the hotel to the concierge or other staff.

My assessment is they tend to look after a certain floor.

In Princeville our Butler was assigned to all of the top tier suites, i.e. only the top 3.
I would like a butler at home. I can't afford one. I don't really use the butlers in the hotels. Nice to know they are there, but very little I ever actually request of them.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
So I can tell that you get coffee and tea. Maybe clothes packed/unpacked and even pressed. But if you are going to a StR where there is pretty much nothing around (Bora Bora) what else can they do? Arrange for scuba/snorkeling? Bring the gear? Get you a golf cart or bike?.
At the St Regis Mauritius, I've had them approach me on the beach to ask about dinner reservations. They have pro-actively offered to chill on ice our bottles of wine in our suite (not even purchased from the resort!) which we were able to then enjoy at sunset from the comfort of our suites' deck.

I've also had our hosts do the same thing at the Park Hyatt Maldives - have a bottle of bubbles brought to the room in time for the sunset.

They are great to have if they are trained well and can be relied upon. In both cases, they saved me from having to return to the room to complete these tasks and added to our enjoyment of our stay.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've rarely left a tip specifically for the butlers, largely because it's usually a team of butlers providing service rather than a single butler. We leave a tip for the staff overall, and assume they divide it according to whatever criteria they have for themselves. In rare instances when one person goes above and beyond, we have tipped a butler.

Let me say that I LOVE the SR butler service. It is one reason I opt for SR even when there are FS or other 5 star options available, assuming the rate/location are otherwise close. (Getting SPG points for my spend is the other reason, all other things being close/equal.) Even at a place like the Chatwal in NYC, which is Luxury Collection, I love the butler service.

For me, the unpacking and packing are sublime--I love it. They always do a great job, and I despise packing at the end of any stay.

The morning coffee service is also quite nice. We also take advantage of shoe shine and pressing more than most, I'd guess. We usually get extras thrown in over the course of our stays, too, which is a nice touch.

Usually, we get recommendations about dining options and activities from the butlers, who occasionally have the concierge confirm. But it's nice having that personal point of contact every morning with the coffee service. It also allows us to get to know the neighborhood/destination a bit better, too, as our conversations usually allow the butlers to recommend more appropriate choices for us, IMO. That depends on how much you converse with them, of course.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Usually, we get recommendations about dining options and activities from the butlers, who occasionally have the concierge confirm. But it's nice having that personal point of contact every morning with the coffee service. It also allows us to get to know the neighborhood/destination a bit better, too, as our conversations usually allow the butlers to recommend more appropriate choices for us, IMO. That depends on how much you converse with them, of course.
The reason I don't do that is that it depends on the knowledge/experience of the particular butler which, of course, varies; and neighborhood recommendations aren't their primary responsibility, anyway. I rely on the concierge for that type of stuff. It's part of the concierge's job; they're expected to have that information. They also maintain active contacts with restaurants, bars and other venues which guests may wish to visit. That ensures that their information is accurate and current. Look particularly for concierges who wear les clefs d'ors (a pair of gold colored crossed antique keys) on their lapels. Those concierges have been recognized for their excellence by Les Clefs D'Ors, the accrediting international organization of concierges.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:31 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The reason I don't do that is that it depends on the knowledge/experience of the particular butler which, of course, varies; and neighborhood recommendations aren't their primary responsibility, anyway. I rely on the concierge for that type of stuff. It's part of the concierge's job; they're expected to have that information. They also maintain active contacts with restaurants, bars and other venues which guests may wish to visit. That ensures that their information is accurate and current. Look particularly for concierges who wear les clefs d'ors (a pair of gold colored crossed antique keys) on their lapels. Those concierges have been recognized for their excellence by Les Clefs D'Ors, the accrediting international organization of concierges.
+1 on all points. Generally we have had a dedicated butler for our StR stays so we have tipped him or her directly.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:27 pm

Is there a true FAQ page about Butler services that's clean and orderly except trying to read through 7 pages of comments trying to extrapolate any information?

For example, useful answers:

1) What may we expect them to do and don't do?
2) What can we reasonably ask them to do and don't do?
3) Tipping practices
4) Do they provide services with requests outside of hotel property (like help you reserve the best restaurant in town, etc.)
5) Are they basically someone you can throw everything at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.