Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:46 am

I tip.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chanp
That's a nice write up. I dont use them often, besides some ironing.
Unfortunately the link now appears to be broken or removed....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Which property you know of that imposes a service charge on the room rate? I'm genuinely curious.
Originally Posted by Lack
St Regis Bangkok shows up with:
Government Tax:
7.70 % Per Room / Per Night
Service Charge:
10.00 % Per Room / Per Night
I believe that this applies to all hotels in Thailand. Certainly all SPG properties in the country as well as non-SPG hotels in Bangkok.

Originally Posted by troyintn
I have had the Bentley in the St Regis Atlanta take me to the pizza place about mile down the road.
I used this service at StR ATL, too, during a stay in December, 2013. It's not, however, part of the butler service. It's a separate service offered by the hotel. The driver was incredibly nice, nothing was too much trouble. There is a hotel policy on how far the car will go, something like a radius of a couple of miles. The car will take you from the hotel to wherever, and also pick you up (within the service area) if you call the hotel. IIRC there's only one car, so availability-dependent. First-come, first-served.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I took a 5-10min Bentley trip from the St Regis in Florence to the Four Seasons which was billed at 180EUR. I won't be doing that again.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I used this service at StR ATL, too, during a stay in December, 2013. It's not, however, part of the butler service. It's a separate service offered by the hotel. The driver was incredibly nice, nothing was too much trouble. There is a hotel policy on how far the car will go, something like a radius of a couple of miles. The car will take you from the hotel to wherever, and also pick you up (within the service area) if you call the hotel. IIRC there's only one car, so availability-dependent. First-come, first-served.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I took a 5-10min Bentley trip from the St Regis in Florence to the Four Seasons which was billed at 180EUR. I won't be doing that again.
The car service at StR ATL is complimentary.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That price was okay...

http://www.stregisflorence.com/en/bentley_pricelist
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Heh, that could have been a bit worse then.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:57 pm

St Regis Singaore Butler service

Apprently every room has a butler service. So how does the service work? Obviously you tip the butler for everything you want him to do for you. I don't like people touching and unpacking my personal belonging. i rather do that myself and at least how know where I put them.
I wouldn't mind have a few shirts pressed though.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Palermo123
Apprently every room has a butler service. So how does the service work? Obviously you tip the butler for everything you want him to do for you. I don't like people touching and unpacking my personal belonging. i rather do that myself and at least how know where I put them.
The extent to which the butlers affect your stay is largely hotel dependent and also depends on how much you want them to do. We prefer to unpack and pack our own luggage, though the pressing is nice. Tipping, to me, depends upon the amount the butlers do for you and the local tipping culture.

Butlers will also deliver [free] coffee & tea any time, which is a nice perk of StR hotels.

I should also say that we really enjoyed our stay at the StR Singapore--the location, staff, etc everything were all excellent. And breakfast... amazing.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Oct 19, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some hotels with butlers, the butler does some concierge functions, such as making restaurant reservations.

However, the StR Singapore has a fairly large concierge staff, often with three of the sitting at the desks to the right as you walk from the front door through the lobby to the restaurant a few steps down at the back of the lobby.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Obviously you tip the butler for everything you want him to do for you.
Or her.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key to a good experience is to start out with a careful explanation of what you and do and do not want. Unpacking and packing are a good example. The same thing with entering your room to "freshen it up" every time you leave.

Some people consider it the ultimate in luxury to be left completely alone. Others want constant attention. The butler has no way of knowing without your input.

Tipping is, of course, a matter of local custom.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Just FYI - the St Regis Singapore adds a 10% service charge to your final bill, including your room rate. (I don't know if this goes to the staff directly)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:44 am

In most cases when the service provider charge 10% service charge to the total bill, this 10% goes to a central pool which will be shared among all service staff either monthly or fortnightly.

I used to work in a hotel restaurant during my school days in Singapore. I will receive my share of the 10% fortnightly. It's shared among all floor staff and kitchen staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.