Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Sounds like most butler would do anything for you. I read a post where one drove the guy to pick up a pizza.. wow.. i'm sure that's probably not going to fly at most places. But i'd like to order tea or coffee a couple of times a day.. as long as you tip them, everyone wins!
I have had the Bentley in the St Regis Atlanta take me to the pizza place about mile down the road.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by troyintn
I have had the Bentley in the St Regis Atlanta take me to the pizza place about mile down the road.
I think the butler is like your personal servant and he will be available 24 hours a day for all kind of wishes. I sometimes send him to get me ice cream from mc donals or to bring a letter to the city main office. And every once in a while he is also a ghost writer when I am short of time
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Do u need to pay for the tea/coffee that the St Regis butler brings u?Is it free?

Sorry for this question
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
Sorry for this question
no
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by nswat
no
"No" what?

No, it's not free OR No, you don't need to pay for it?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
It is free. But I always leave a tip.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by zagy
"No" what?

No, it's not free OR No, you don't need to pay for it?
no you don't need to pay for it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sphinx
It is free. But I always leave a tip.
Whether you should tip depends where you are and whether the hotel imposes a percentage service charge.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
it is free, but i tip as well--although not necessarily each time i get the tea. on a multi-day stay i simply tip the butler (in cash) at the end of the stay.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Whether you should tip depends where you are and whether the hotel imposes a percentage service charge.
I'd like to see what the % service charge runs up to for a free item
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
I'd like to see what the % service charge runs up to for a free item
I mean properties that impose a 10-15% service charge on everything, including room rates. If the room rate is $500 per night, that would be an automatic $50-75 service charge per day. In that case, I would only tip in addition for something really extraordinary.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:19 am

I mean properties that impose a 10-15% service charge on everything, including room rates. If the room rate is $500 per night, that would be an automatic $50-75 service charge per day.
Which property you know of that imposes a service charge on the room rate? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Which property you know of that imposes a service charge on the room rate? I'm genuinely curious.
St Regis Bangkok shows up with:
Government Tax:
7.70 % Per Room / Per Night
Service Charge:
10.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Within Starwood from recent personal experience, W Hong Kong and St Regis Singapore IIRC. Also most top hotels in Japan and much of Asia, exclusive five star properties in France such as Hotel du Cap, some exclusive resorts in the USA (R&C hotels in the countryside), etc. This should be listed with the rates and also indicated on the confirmation.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Lack
St Regis Bangkok shows up with:
Government Tax:
7.70 % Per Room / Per Night
Service Charge:
10.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Within Starwood from recent personal experience, W Hong Kong and St Regis Singapore IIRC. Also most top hotels in Japan and much of Asia, exclusive five star properties in France such as Hotel du Cap, some exclusive resorts in the USA (R&C hotels in the countryside), etc. This should be listed with the rates and also indicated on the confirmation.
Wow! Thanks for sharing. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.