Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Design Your Own 2008 SPG Card (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Design Your Own 2008 SPG Card (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thanks, William. ^

I think it is a cool idea and will enjoy using our fancy card this year.

Instead of a normal Nordstrom card, I have an old Nordstrom Best card, which recieves lots of interesting comments when I try to use it at newer stores like Chicago or Washington, D.C. Even in Seattle, at the flagship store, the clerks comment on the card.

I wonder if the new special Starwood cards will also garner attention from the check-in clerks around the world. It will be interesting to see.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'm sure that interested parties are taking note of member preferences already.
Sorry William. I meant to suggest for next year.
My fingers got a little speedy there from all the excitement
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I am getting my favorite hotel in san diego. U.S Grant hotel
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by agrater
Oh, come on! It's definitely a great idea, but the execution is terrible. It's just select your own picture. Big deal.

Think of all the options they could have provided. For starters, they could let us choose a thin card for those of us who need to carry a few other things in our wallets. There's much more that could be customized while they're at it.

And I wish they would've explained the purpose of the card.
I disagree, let's give Starwood some positive encouragement when it's due. Compared to other SPG web & email promos this one actually worked on the first try, didn't have broken links, terms & conditions copied from the wrong promo, etc.

Of course I'd like to see photo options include the W NY Times Square lobby, Europa & Regina's Grand Calan view, the Asolo countryside, Whistler's snow, W French Quarter's staircase, etc. But I again say for a first try, this is a great idea and great execution of it. ^
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
OK, credit where it's due - I've seen no other travel cards offer such a customization benefit, at least the major players, so credit to SPG.

My Discover card did offer this option to me a while ago, and I'm now seeing cards with "use your own photo" options. Put that in the idea hopper for next year...

Bora Bora for me too.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
one more thought...

I'd previously sent the one of the kind "chief web gurus" a suggestion for a photo contest for all of us Starwood fans to submit our best pix of Starwood properties for use in the new website's front page featured photo, but maybe the top photos could also be a component of future "Design your own card" options... just an idea/suggestion.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I have to agree with CPRRich here-Starwood is doing something DIFFERENT and that is good.
Yes it is marketing money that could have been used on a research group od on a promo-but I sure that will be coming along also.
I chose that lovely resort in Sardenia-which I will probably never have enough starpoints to stay at for more than a long weekend(35k a night)
Ih well one can dream....
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:37 pm
SDK

Excellent idea! Chose Bora Bora.^^^
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Awesome idea! Thumbs up to Starwood.

Chose Fisherman's Cove, just because it looks very nice on the card...thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
I chose the W Maldives because I prefer W to most Meridiens. I also like the Blue Palace although they could have made a more appealing picture. It would be nice if Starwood awarded a discount or special offer at the property chosen.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2.1MM; SPG Platinum
Thank you Damon88 for posting the link!

As a Gold I was surprised that I qualified, and I was also surprised at the choice of hotels - I found it a bit odd that 2 Scottsdale hotels would be featured, and, as other have said, no Hawaiian choices.

On the other hand, I was quite pleased to find the Westin Kierland, which I selected to be my image, because:

1. I had booked a stay there a couple weeks ago for the Parada del Sol, which takes place in Scottsdale at the end of February. Even if the card doesn't arrive by then, I'll have the .pdf of the card to come, so we can see if the presentation of a SPG Card bearing a location image at that location results in better treatment.

2. I just found out the Patriots are staying at the Kierland this week for the Superbowl (tm).

3. The Giants are staying at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, which is not one of the new SPG card featured hotels.

4. Therefore, SPG likes the Patriots better.

5. The pinkish hues in the picture of the Kierland go very well with the solid gold at the bottom of the Gold card. I think the blue of the ocean resort pictures is nicer with the Platinum Card.

Thanks Lurker for explaining the thinking behind this - I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus of those who think your participation in the forum adds to our SPG experience immensely.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Winter Doldrums

The winter doldrums have truly set in when we have 56 posts in eight hours about a card design that most of us never have to show in the first place.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Chose the St. Regis New York. It's the only hotel amongst the group that I've ever stayed in.

I do miss the days when we had a long list of honorifics to choose from in our profile. I liked seeing "HRH" on my SPG Platinum card. I saved the one from that year.

Aloha
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by damon88
I just stumbled upon the page that let's you plug in your spg number to see
if you are eligible.

Apparently-- this is valid for VIPs, Plats and Golds if you qualified in 2008.

https://www.spgpromos.com/choosecard...d=0707QR7Z0FRX

I just typed in my membership number but got "sorry you are not qualified for this opportunity" I guess this is only for member who is going to receive their card in 2008. My current Platinum member card is not expired till Feb 09.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I wonder if the properties will have to pay a fee to be featured as a card choice should this take off?

I wasn't that excited about any of the choices -- not that I've got anything against Bora Bora but I'm unlikely ever to blow enough points for a great week somewhere on a single night. I'd rather see places I have been to and remember fondly, like Westin Palace Madrid, the Haciendas, Westin Tokyo or Kyoto, Grande Laguna, Hotel Kamp, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.