Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
The Cavalieri is a wonderful hotel and since you're Diamond you will most likely enjoy a fabulous view of the city on the Club floor. That said, we enjoyed seeing the city of Rome so much more when we have stayed at the Intercontinental. Being within walking distance of so many marvelous things to see and do is a huge plus and really does change the experience of being in Rome.
P.S. I have not stayed at the Excelsior, but have had tea there on the way to somewhere else. Quite elegant and I think would be a lovely place to stay.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by qeialto
Living in Rome I can tell you that the Westin is more popular and better located. But you have to go to the restaurant in the Hilton, called "La Pergola" that is one of the 3 best restaurant in Italy!!!!

Thank you for the advice. I have read great things about this restaurant. what kind of bill should we expect there? Is it possible to keep it under $300?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Why not stay at both?

If you are willing to break up your stays and make the move you could stay at both and find out for yourself. In my opinion, the Cavalieri is beautiful with a great lounge with free food, rooms I would consider average at best even with a Diamond upgrade. Platinums at the Excelsior should get an upgrade to a room or suite overlooking via veneto. Two very different properties. If you want the quaintness and old school luxury in middle of Rome feel, go Excelsior. While the food and beverages at the Cavalieri are a nice touch, who goes to Rome to eat in the executive lounge? the food is nothing compared to what you can discover on your own. If it were my choice, I would spend 1 night at Cavalieri and 2 at Excelsior.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:38 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentTraveler
Thank you for the advice. I have read great things about this restaurant. what kind of bill should we expect there? Is it possible to keep it under $300?
I've posted before that I think La Pergola is overrated and overpriced. Just IMHO.

The wine list in particular is outrageous. For example, a Muscadet Sevre et Maine that here would retail for maybe $13 was over $70.

And I didn't think the food was that exceptional. Perhaps YMMV.

Enjoy Rome!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I've posted before that I think La Pergola is overrated and overpriced. Just IMHO.

The wine list in particular is outrageous. For example, a Muscadet Sevre et Maine that here would retail for maybe $13 was over $70.

And I didn't think the food was that exceptional. Perhaps YMMV.

Enjoy Rome!
I definitely second that opinion. The hundreds of Euros you'd spend at La Pergola will buy you a lot of meals at a wide variety of restaurants in Rome and you'll still have money left over!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Sorry I disagree, La Pergola IMHO ranks with the best in the world (Per Se, etc). But you really need to appreciate the quality of the food and the time/effort in the preparation There is a price fixed menu (or used to be) of 5 or 7 courses. You can also purchase a gift certificate for 2 for a 6 course with or without wine to match.

I am not an expert on wine (or prices) but I still dream about the food! The setting, service, and staff are exceptional. Of course the lousy value of the dollar doesn't help - but the prices include tax (VAT ?18%) and service which doesn't make it quite such an expense.

I had a great time with 2 meals at La Pergola and lots of other meal/snacks at much less expensive (but tasty) places.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:30 pm

is it just me or...

have there been an awful lot of posts lately regarding Rome? No, this is not some lecture on how to use the search function, don't worry! Just wondering what's going on and when someone is going to invite me to come along!!

never stayed at the hilton, have stayed at the westin though and love love loved it! ^ especially the sweet little old italian guy that I met on my last night who thought I was a movie star (if you were heinously near-sighted I might pass for Will's cousin, Ashley, on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air... but even that's a stretch). ^ ^

seriously, westin location was great, I thought. I walked around everywhere... especially in and out of the Fendi store near the Vatican! And Prada. And a few other places...

oh please please please invite me to your secret Rome DO!! I promise to be good and to buy the first cannoli!!
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
The Westin Excellsior is a great hotel with a great location.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Sorry I disagree, La Pergola IMHO ranks with the best in the world (Per Se, etc). But you really need to appreciate the quality of the food and the time/effort in the preparation There is a price fixed menu (or used to be) of 5 or 7 courses. You can also purchase a gift certificate for 2 for a 6 course with or without wine to match.

I am not an expert on wine (or prices) but I still dream about the food! The setting, service, and staff are exceptional. Of course the lousy value of the dollar doesn't help - but the prices include tax (VAT ?18%) and service which doesn't make it quite such an expense.

I had a great time with 2 meals at La Pergola and lots of other meal/snacks at much less expensive (but tasty) places.

Where do you purchase the gift certificates for 2 for a 6 course with or without wine to match? Can you do that in advance before you get to Rome? Do you know how much they cost?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet

I totally agree, we had dinner there last in March 2005 and it was certainly one of the best meals I had ever had.
Yet it price range was no different for four or so other meals we had on that particular visit to Italy.
You get what you pay for.

Why do you experts think the place has been continually rated as one of the best restaurants in Rome, in a country obsessed with eating?

Sure can eat cheaper and perhaps even better but is that all to fine dining?
Why stay at the Cavalieiri then? The bed at the 4 points might be just as good and you will save a lot of bucks to stay in many 4 points with money left over.

mike
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:43 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There is a website for the Calvieri separate from the Hilton one - sorry I don't have the url but originally got it as a result of a post on FT. The price is listed there - and yes you can buy it in advance. Also you could email them and ask if you can't find the url (which I did later by googling)

If you want to eat there you MUST make reservations in advance as they have only one sitting (no rushing) and limited seating. You may be able to arrange for the same fee (as gift cert) on the night of dining (thereby giving you more options than the 5 or 7 course they offer) = they really understand customer service
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FB Platinum, MM Frequent Traveller, Hilton Silver, BA Silver
It's me again.
I'll put it on a different way. If you look at the Michelin Guide for Italy, La Pergola is one of the only 3 restaurants in Italy with the maximum score. But the 3 starts in Michelin guide means that the overall experience is outstanding. You can find outstanding food in Rome for a much much cheaper price (La Pergola is more expensive than 300$ for 2 people).
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Starwood Plt, Marriott Silver, Others
I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Westin Excelsior and as a Platinum was upgraded to a very very nice suite. In addition to my platinum welcome gift, they also brought up a cart of waters, fresh fruits and champagne that was complimentary. The hotel was great, the pool and stream room was wonderful, and the location is perfect.

You could say that I have nothing but positive things to say from this stay there!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I was not overwhelmed by either property, but the Westin has a much better location. I would probably give a slight nod to the Westin on quality and helpfulness of the staff, with the Hilton getting the nod for foodservice.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:21 am

Do Starwood platinums get complimentary breakfast at the Westin Excelsior?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.