Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 12:00 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I'm going next year and have reserved a 5 night stay for 80k. That breaks it down to 16k a night.

I think my report would be a litle to late for your stay though. Let us know if you choose the Eden and how it is.

Flyfarfar
Old May 25, 2006, 3:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FB Platinum, MM Frequent Traveller, Hilton Silver, BA Silver
Thumbs up

I can tell you my opinion as living in Rome. The Excelsior is amongst the best hotels in Rome, Eden is popular but not as the Excelsior. Both locations are great, with plus and cons for both.
If I would pick one I would go to the Excelsior all the times
Old May 26, 2006, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gabatta
Trying to decide which property for a two night stay in October. Westin Excelsior (32k points) or Hotel Eden (50k points)? Thanks in advance for the advice
We just stayed at the Eden last month and were quite underwhelmed. I'd go with the Excelsior.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually haven't stayed at the Westin, but I did stay about a block down from there when I was in Rome last year & I would recommend the Westin. Seemed like a great hotel & it defintely has a great location. Depending on how point-rich you are, I'd also go with saving the 18K points.
Old May 27, 2006, 12:00 pm

Stayed at the Excelsior a few months ago and loved it. Even though it was an award stay, I was upgraded to a HUGE HUGE HUGE suite, with a big spread of fruit, champagne, chocolates, and some other stuff in the sitting room when I arrived.

I would have a difficult time imagining a hotel worth 18k points premium. The location of this hotel is really good, I think. Quick walk to the train station (where the shuttle from FCO drops you), lots of shopping nearby, totally walkable to any other attraction, even Vatican City.

I think you'll be happy at the Excelsior. GREAT staff. ^
Old May 27, 2006, 9:04 pm

We stayed at the Westin Excelsior a few months ago and loved it. Not only was it a terrific location with great rooms, the staff was wonderful. I felt that the staff went above and beyond to treat us well. To me, good staff is a key reason to return to a hotel.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1K, CO PLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG PLAT, Hyatt PLAT
Arrow Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Hello all!

DCA_Mrs and I (SPG Plats) are going to Italy in August. Splitting our time between Rome, Florence, and Venice. We just can't decide between Westin Excelsior or St. Regis. I've read all of FCTSTY et al's 2003-2005 discussions about the STR, and am wondering if anyone has any new thoughts.

My biggest concern is getting a suite or "great room." I've heard Plats have great luck at the Westin, not the STR. The STR is participating in the "buy 2 get 1 night free" special. The Westin is not. So, the STR will avg 197 euro per night, the Westin 290.

Clearly, we'd prefer to stay at the StR because of the rate. Any thoughts on upgrade potential at the STR? Ask Plat concierge for help? Show up with $50 in palm for front desk mgr? Does anybody have any "juice" at this property?

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2006, 1:13 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
There is also the Hotel Eden in Rome.
Old May 29, 2006, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
[QUOTE=DCA_DR]Hello all!

DCA_Mrs and I (SPG Plats) are going to Italy in August. Splitting our time between Rome, Florence, and Venice. We just can't decide between Westin Excelsior or St. Regis. I've read all of FCTSTY et al's 2003-2005 discussions about the STR, and am wondering if anyone has any new thoughts.

My biggest concern is getting a suite or "great room." I've heard Plats have great luck at the Westin, not the STR. The STR is participating in the "buy 2 get 1 night free" special. The Westin is not. So, the STR will avg 197 euro per night, the Westin 290.

Clearly, we'd prefer to stay at the StR because of the rate. Any thoughts on upgrade potential at the STR? Ask Plat concierge for help? Show up with $50 in palm for front desk mgr? Does anybody have any "juice" at this property?

I have stayed at the St. Regis many times before and I think it is one of the best SPG hotels outside of the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok. I have passed the Westin many times as there is a bar that I like near it however I think the Westin is a bit further out than the St. Regis and a bit more of a walk. I have always been given an upgrade and in fact am looking to go there again this weekend. You might help me here I am looking for the link for the buy two get one offer, if you have it.

Thanks

Stephen
Old May 30, 2006, 5:56 pm

Rome: Westin Excelsior or Hilton Cavalieri?

My husband and I will be spending three days in Rome at the end of June. We can get either one of these two hotels using points. I have searched and got information about both of them but was wondering if someone has stayed at both of them and can give me an idea of how they compare. My husband is both Hilton Diamond and Starwood platinum.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:07 pm

Hilton Cavalieri is maybe the nicest Hilton property I've ever stayed at. Great Executive Lounge, and I got a nice room upgrade as a Diamond. The downside is the location - you have to take their shuttle or a taxi to the heart of Rome. The Westin Excelsior is in a great location on Via Veneto, but their treatment of Platinums doesn't compare to the treatment of Diamonds at the Hilton.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Greg76248
Hilton Cavalieri is maybe the nicest Hilton property I've ever stayed at. Great Executive Lounge, and I got a nice room upgrade as a Diamond. The downside is the location - you have to take their shuttle or a taxi to the heart of Rome. The Westin Excelsior is in a great location on Via Veneto, but their treatment of Platinums doesn't compare to the treatment of Diamonds at the Hilton.
ThanKs for the info. How long does it take to get to Rome in the shuttle? I found out in another thread that the shuttle leaves for Rome every hour, but I could not find the lengh of the ride.
Old May 31, 2006, 6:17 am

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
10 to 15 minutes to city center. A cab back to the hotel (if shuttle has stopped running) was very reasonable too (10 euro or so IIRC).
Old May 31, 2006, 10:49 am
Community Director Emerita

My personal preference is to stay in the city. Rome is such a great walking city that I found it frustrating to be at the Cavalieri, requiring transport every time I wanted to come into town.

I don't know the Westin property, so I am simply talking about my preference of staying in Rome versus staying on the outskirts of Rome, not the Hilton vs the Westin.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FB Platinum, MM Frequent Traveller, Hilton Silver, BA Silver
Living in Rome I can tell you that the Westin is more popular and better located. But you have to go to the restaurant in the Hilton, called "La Pergola" that is one of the 3 best restaurant in Italy!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.