Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:36 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Rome, Westin or Luxury Brand?

Thinking of booking a suite at either the Westin or Luxury brand in Rome. Both appear to be next to each other or are they a property within a property.

I will need a suite (using points for one night) with 2 beds. Any info on what the suites really are like. Would prefer seperate sleeping areas.

Never stayed at either property so your input would be helpful. The websites are of limited info as we all know.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Thinking of booking a suite at either the Westin or Luxury brand in Rome. Both appear to be next to each other or are they a property within a property.

I will need a suite (using points for one night) with 2 beds. Any info on what the suites really are like. Would prefer seperate sleeping areas.

Never stayed at either property so your input would be helpful. The websites are of limited info as we all know.
LOL....I JUST posted this. Hopefully it will help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...4&page=3&pp=40
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:21 am

That was a great report! Booked at the Westin for 4 nights end of April, so this came just on the right moment. ^ ^

Is 4 days stay ok for Rome or is it too much?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:14 am

LOL...with my travel schedule it seems 4 days is my average in any one city. The weather should be perfect in Rome during that time so you should be able to fit a lot in and the proximity of the Westin to a lot of the sights will make it easy to get around. Try one of the walking tours, I know that one of them gathers at the Trevi Fountain at 5:00 on weekends, not sure about other times but I'm sure you could do a search on Google to get information on that. I also saw some tour buses going around but did not inquire about them. Have fun!

Last edited by EquityMind; Feb 7, 2005 at 8:15 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS, aa platinum, hh gold, starwood platinum
The Westin is a great choice. Stayed there last summer with my family. We had 2 rooms on points and they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite! Rome is a great walking city with history everywhere you turn. Depending on how much luggage you have I recommend taking the train in from the airport. It is quicker and cheaper then a taxi. Then you can hop a cab from the train terminal.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:12 am

I agree with the train option. I made the CLASSIC mistake of getting into a cab right outside the airport terminal without asking how much the ride would be to the Westin (i was excited to be there and had other thoughts on my mind), the cab driver seemed to understand very little english and halfway there I noticed that the meter was off and that he seemed to be driving erratically all over town with a series of turns. "Great", I thought to myself, "this is really going to cost me". Sure enough when we arrived at this obviously expensive, luxury hotel, he just smiled at me as thinking to himself "YES, got another sucker!" at stated that the fare was 20 Euros. "20 Euros! Are you crazy?" but of course at this point his mastery of the English language seemed to completely disappear, all the while holding his hand out. So that mistake cost me $25.00 US (I didnt tip him).

The ride back to the airport was around 5 Euros.

So if you see a balding, stocky cab driver around 5'8" that appears middle eastern driving a dark navy blue mercedes 300 (older) who invites you to sit up front....ASK how much it will be before you agree to be taken for a ride (literally)!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EquityMind
I made the CLASSIC mistake of getting into a cab right outside the airport terminal without asking how much the ride would be to the Westin ... the fare was 20 Euros. "20 Euros! Are you crazy?"
A ride from Fiumicino to a city centre hotel for €20 is an extraordinary bargain. I'm sure the last time I did this journey, I'm sure it was upwards of €50. Even Ciampino would be at least €40.

As for the €5 return trip ... are you sure you're thinking about Rome?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:17 pm

Correction

No, I stand corrected ... it was from the train station nearest to the hotel...it was about a 5 minute ride. (maybe 10 on the way in with all of the twisting and turning he was doing to make it appear like a longer ride.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:20 pm

Sheraton in Roma, Italy

Any information about the 2 different Sheraton properties in / around Roma, Italy ?
I'm planning a stay in this town around Christmas, and any tip on these 2 hotels will be welcomed.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:48 pm

Sheraton Roma

Originally Posted by toutoute
Any information about the 2 different Sheraton properties in / around Roma, Italy ?
I'm planning a stay in this town around Christmas, and any tip on these 2 hotels will be welcomed.

Stayed in the Sheraton Roma a few weeks ago. Make sure you ask for a "quiet" room. The music in the lobby bar apparently goes on till 2am and was clearly audible in my room which was 2 floors above it.

Not impressed with this property by the way - it looks like it was very modern 10 years ago but the room was small and looked tired.

/JW
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:52 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=Rome

Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As the above posts will tell you, the Sheraton Roma is pretty far outside the city, and while there are shuttle buses to take you back & forth, the ride is about 30 min each way. Also there is nothing nearby to walk to, as it is bordered by a highway and some industrial parks. The rooms are nothing special, but there is a club lounge. I also thought it strange that given how far from everything this hotel is, and the fact that they offer a free shuttle into the city, you have to pay for that same shuttle to the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by mauld
...the fact that they offer a free shuttle into the city, you have to pay for that same shuttle to the airport.
Since when?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by toutoute
Slightly off topic, but still in the SPG family. I would seriously consider the Westin Excelsior. Although we had a few small problems with our stay, the property is very nice, and well located, staff is fairly attentive.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Slightly off topic, but still in the SPG family. I would seriously consider the Westin Excelsior. Although we had a few small problems with our stay, the property is very nice, and well located, staff is fairly attentive.
I echo this entirely. The Westin Excelsior was a grande dame of the Ciga chain which Starwood acquired. It is like the Plaza in NY...although smaller, but they restored and upgraded it and it is indeed beautiful, and extremely well located. Great spa/fitness center too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.