Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
An alternative

We stayed at the 4 points Roma West in 2002. It was very nice and new. Our room was fairly large by European standards.
It is also outside the city, but we took our car to the subway station just outside the city. Was at the center of town in about 30 minutes total for a couple of bucks. If you are using points, it is a great deal.
Just a thought.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:27 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by chauming
Since when?
I don't know when it was instituted, but I can confirm that there's a fee for the airport shuttle. IIRC it's only about 5 euros or so.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We stayed at the 4 points Roma West in 2002. It was very nice and new. Our room was fairly large by European standards.
It is also outside the city, but we took our car to the subway station just outside the city. Was at the center of town in about 30 minutes total for a couple of bucks. If you are using points, it is a great deal.
Just a thought.
We did the same in 2004, it was a Cat 1 at the time and had a free shuttle to the airport and back as well as the main train station (Termini). I think it was upped to Cat 2 and I heard the free airport shuttle is no more, but it probably is still a good deal on points, especially if you are going to Europe with dollars. We quickly learned the bus route to the subway station which then took us into town - the hotel staff showed us the way.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66
We did the same in 2004, it was a Cat 1 at the time and had a free shuttle to the airport and back as well as the main train station (Termini). I think it was upped to Cat 2 and I heard the free airport shuttle is no more, but it probably is still a good deal on points, especially if you are going to Europe with dollars. We quickly learned the bus route to the subway station which then took us into town - the hotel staff showed us the way.
I don't think it was ever a category 1 hotel. I stayed there in 1998 and it was category 2. It has since more up to a 3. It was a dump back in 1998. I never stayed there again when it was a 2. I certainly not going there when it's a 3.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
I stayed at the Sheraton Parco de Medici Resort in 2001. It's about halfway between FCO and Rome, when I stayed there the shuttle bus was free between the airport/downtown and the hotel. The hotel doesn't really have much around it, besides an office park and a movie theater. However, it's a really beautiful property with a great golf course on-site, and a couple of good restuarants. The rooms themselves are fantastic, especially if you stay in a villa. I've had friends stay at the Sheraton Roma and have less than favorable impressions.

If you don't mind a thirty minute bus ride into the city, it's a fantastic hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by chauming
I don't think it was ever a category 1 hotel. I stayed there in 1998 and it was category 2. It has since more up to a 3. It was a dump back in 1998. I never stayed there again when it was a 2. I certainly not going there when it's a 3.
I agree with quinella66. The 4Points in Rome was a Cat. 1 until the beginning of 2004 (I remember being able to book an award right before the category changed - it's a 2 now). I wouldn't call it a dump, especially considering the cost (in points or euros) of other SPG properties in Rome. Some rooms can be a bit noisy, though. IMHO, it's a decent hotel for brief stays or if you need to fly out of FCO the next day.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:37 pm

Rome: Westin Excelsior v. St. Regis Grand

Planning a short vacay in March, but I want it to be luxurious. Would use points for both, but at the St. Regis would have to supplement points with $$ - probably pay for one night.

Is this particular St. Regis worth it? Or save the points & $$ and stay at the Westin?

Thanks for any input!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Originally Posted by Road warrior every 4 years
Planning a short vacay in March, but I want it to be luxurious. Would use points for both, but at the St. Regis would have to supplement points with $$ - probably pay for one night.

Is this particular St. Regis worth it? Or save the points & $$ and stay at the Westin?

Thanks for any input!
Westin is very top notch, would save the cash and enjoy the Excelsior.
Stayed last spring for five nights and loved it!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: Cont'l Gold One Pass, Intercont'l Gold Ambassador
The St. Regis in Rome is truly five star. Stayed there last year and absolutely loved it ^ . However, the location is not as good as the Excelsior. The St. Regis is by the train station, the Excelsior is on Via Veneto. The Excelsior is nice, but not in the same category as the St. Regis.
Either way though, I don't think you can go wrong between your two choices. Buon viaggio!

Last edited by ldsant; Feb 13, 2006 at 7:13 pm Reason: quote already quoted
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Have stayed at both. The rooms are similar, the bathrooms and toiletries slightly better at the St Regis if I recall. The Excelsior is next to the US Embassy if that is of any interest, otherwise I would say location is pretty equal - it is not as if the train station is next door to the St Regis.

If cost was the same I would go for the St Regis, the reception areas are much grander, but if you need $$ and points to stay there I suggest the Westin and use the $$ for a smart meal.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:02 pm

We LOVED the Westin Excelsior. The staff is wonderful. Our upgrade as gold was fabulous. The rooms are amazing. The location is terrific. The lobby is gorgeous. It's within walking distance of the Spanish Steps if you go the back way.

Yes, the St. Regis is ranked a little higher; however, you won't be disappointed if you save the $$/points and book the Westin.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I stayed at the St.Regis several times in Rome, and then tried the Excelsior - would not go back to the St.Regis. IMO the St.Regis is not that much more luxurious. Plus the Exclesior has a gym and pool (doin't think the St.Regis does).

But then again I am not a big fan of the older gold edged luxury - YMMV.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:45 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have stayed in the St. Regis only once (Report is on my homepage) and the service was not so good. Housekeeping was going in the romm although "Do not disturbe" sign was on.

The St. Regis has a small gym in the top floor, equipment is state of the art. There is also a Sauna (separate Saunas for male / female).

Have not tried the Westin.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
Have stayed in both and much prefer the Westin - better location, nicer staff and similar property - but I got way better upgrade at the Westin.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:28 am

Fabulous, the Westin it is. Thanks for the quick responses, all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.