Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:30 pm

I am on my way to Italy as well...Does anyone have info regarding the Hotel Bernini Palace, Splendide Royal or the Boscolo Hotel Palace in Rome?

Thanx to all of the seasoned travellers here !!

Last edited by jebien; Feb 14, 2006 at 8:31 pm Reason: change message
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by jebien
I am on my way to Italy as well...Does anyone have info regarding the Hotel Bernini Palace, Splendide Royal or the Boscolo Hotel Palace in Rome?

Thanx to all of the seasoned travellers here !!

Welcome to FT. You may want to also ask your question at a general travel site like fodors.com/forums or in another travel related forum rather than in the starwood forum.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
With respect to the St. Regis, as Plat that will be there on an award stay for three nights, what specific type of room should I request when I check in? I didn't receive an upgrade last time...and had to ask for the gift as well. It was some Hermes stuff as I recall.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We leave for Rome tomorrow night and are staying at the Westin. I'll put up a trip review when I get back.

Mike
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from the Westin and had a very nice stay. The whole staff was quite charming and we were upgraded to a decent suite overlooking Via Veneto. Separate bedroom and living room, and platinum amenity was a classy-looking coffee table book.

We thought the location was great. The Spanish Steps are about a 10 minute walk, while the Vatican and ancient Rome are 30-45 minute walks, albeit in different directions. A cab from the airport was about 50 Euro, before tip.

The hotel itself is charming and quite luxurious. Due to the age of the hotel, the elevators run a bit slow, although you can easily take the stairs between floors. The gym was nice and the equipment looked pretty modern. The pool is indoors, and a bit small but very relaxing. The water is very, very warm, as the hot tub and pool flow right into each other.

Pluses:

Nice room, great staff. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel at home.

The maid leaves the cart in the hall while she does turndown, which includes some wonderful chocolates. 'Nuf said.

Our room had a huge flat-screen TV. For some reason, all the programming was in a foreign language, though. I think it was Italian.

Minuses:

If you are facing Via Veneto, there is a restaurant across the street with a very loud, outdoor lounge singer who plays until 1 am. You will hear him.

The air conditioning was pretty lousy.

Room service was atrociously expensive. 8.5 euro for a soda? Um, yeah, sure.

Overall, we would definitely go back. If you want some restaurant recommendations, let me know.

Mike
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:22 pm

We went thru this same decision a couple of months ago using a reward and decided to stay at the St. Regis in September. However, with the purchase of the Meridien, we were thinking of switching our reservation to the Meridien as it is in what we consider a better location than either the St. Regis or the Westin. Our plan is to wait to see if the Rome Meridien joins Starwood, and if it does, then look to see if we can change our reservation.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
Mikeef-- would love some restaurant recommendations will be there end of June.

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:48 pm
ZME

Programs: AA & Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sammylee
Mikeef-- would love some restaurant recommendations will be there end of June.

Thanks.
Two really good restaurants close to the Westin are:

COLLINE EMILIANE
Via Avignonesi 22

GIOVANNI
Via Marche 64
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
Thanks for the info. Will check them out!!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Restaurant recommendations

We ate at Baffetto, which was very good. Get there early, as the crowds get pretty big. The owner struck me as a benevolent version of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld and spent much of his time terrorizing the staff.

We also ate at L'Orso 80, which was extraordinary. We didn't get the antipasti, but it looked great.

Here is the list that my friend sent me before we went to Rome. Many of these are within walking distance of the hotel.

Mike

Ristorante Arnaldo -- Campo dei Fiori
Ditrambo -- 1 block from Campo dei Fiori
La Sagrestia -- near the Pantheon on Via del Seminario (pizza -- I believe it is related to da Baffetto but doesn't have the crowds) da Baffetto -- near Piazza Navonna? famous for it's pizza Cafe M. Agrippa del Pantheon -- cafe, but also for lunch (Pantheon)
-- no better place in Rome to people-watch and enjoy your lunch or drinks! Cecchino dal 1877 (don't know address -- Testaccio area?) Ristorante La Pigna -- older couple runs this -- very much a family- run restaurant with Mama on the floor and Papa in the kitchen. L'Orso 80 -- famous for it's antipasto for 2 (so much food, no need to order anything else -- the food just keeps coming.) Enoteca Antica -- great wine bar near the Spanish Steps. Great antipasto. Rooftop bars at Hotel Eden(1 block away from the Excelsior) or Minerva (behind the Pantheon.) Wine bar near the bridge in Trastevere? I'll find the name -- really good wine AND good food; great people-watching.

for gelato, look for "gelateria artigianale" sign to indicate that the gelato is made on the premises -- otherwise it is made in a factory. Another good way to know, look at the banana gelato... it should look gray or brownish. If it is yellow, the gelato isn't made from natural ingredients. Giolotti or San Crispino are excellent gelato places.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:55 pm

When in Rome....

I'd like to throw in a recommendation for a private guide and driver -- Stephano Constantino. His email is [email protected]

We used his services last fall for transfers, day trips, and sightseeing. I can not say enough good things about him! He was absolutely fabulous. His prices are very reasonable, his english is perfect, his van is kept spotless and is a late model. He's a complete gentleman and very knowledgeable. I would recommend this guy to my best friend or my grandmother -- he's that good.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:32 am
JBD

Westin Excelsior Rome - Are these Luxury Collection rates correct?

On the Luxury Collection site (link below) the rates listed for the Low Season Taste of Luxury Rate (Aug, Dec 2006; Jan, Feb 2007) and the Mid Season Taste of Luxury Rate (Apr, Jul, Nov 2006; Mar 2007) for single occupancy is the same exact rate for the Low Season Holiday Rate and Mid Season Holiday Rate for a single - €303 and €347 respectively.

Could this be a mistake?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/worldw...3334812504.jsp
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended

They seem a little low, but within the normal pricing.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBD
On the Luxury Collection site (link below) the rates listed for the Low Season Taste of Luxury Rate (Aug, Dec 2006; Jan, Feb 2007) and the Mid Season Taste of Luxury Rate (Apr, Jul, Nov 2006; Mar 2007) for single occupancy is the same exact rate for the Low Season Holiday Rate and Mid Season Holiday Rate for a single - €303 and €347 respectively.

Could this be a mistake?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/worldw...3334812504.jsp
This sounds like good pricing actually- if you want to stay there I would book now as the hotel can be quite a bit more pricy than this
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:34 am
Suspended

As discussed in another thread, the Westins in Italy do not appear to be part of the Luxury Collection anymore. I am surprised they have not removed these Westins from the LC promotions.

In any case, rates listed are for guidance only. The only way to find out whether the rate is valid/correct is to submit your dates (with the promotion code) and search for available room rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.