Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:59 am
JBD

Thanks for the replies.

I have plugged in my dates for December on spg.com and the rates are the same as what's showing on the LC site - no need to plug in promo codes.

What confuses me is that historically the Taste of Luxury rate (requiring a minimum 3 nt stay) has been a little higher than the Holiday rate (requiring a 6 nt minimum stay). And in fact this is still the case for double occupancy and for other seasons. You get a better rate when you stay longer, made sense.

To be even more specific, if I booked on spg.com right now an 8 night stay for Dec 1 to Dec 9 for a single room the rate given is €275 for BOTH the Taste and the Luxury rate. But the Taste rate gives the 4th night free in low season and the Luxury rate gives the 7th nt free. So if I booked the Taste rate (which, as I said, is usually higher than the Luxury rate) then I'm actually getting 2 nights free and is thus the better deal.

Because these two rates have never been identical before I thought perhaps there was an error when they were loaded.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:14 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
From our friends in Italy.

The Luxury Collection Packages are being phased out as new programs are rolled-out for the Westin Hotels. At the present time, these programs are still available at the hotels that were previously branded Westin and as well under the Luxury Collection umbrella.

Important to notice that the single rate quoted for the Westin Excelsior Rome is for a true single accommodation which at most will have one twin bed or one French bed in the room. These accommodations may not sleep two persons and this is the reason why the rates seem to be
quite attractive. Since it is already a very discounted rate, it may be the same as the three night Taste of Luxury.

If you can send an eMail message with details on specific dates and needs (single or double occupancy accommodation) to William at [email protected], we will be more than glad to assist you and advise about the accommodations that would best fit your travel needs.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:32 pm
JBD

Not to be beating the horse but...

I've always been fascinated by revenue management and I've been looking over my records so thought I'd share in case anyone else was interested.

But first, to those who think the rates mentioned above seem low, I imagine you're most use to looking at double occupancy rates.

For single rates in low season the Excelsior in Rome offered €245 for the Taste of Lux rate in 2004 (with VAT it was €269.5 - which is how the LC site displays them, rounded up). They kept the rate the same for 2005. In 2006 they raised it just €5 to €250 (€275 w/VAT). In fact you can still see this rate under the Feb 2006 rate (their rate "spread" for low season as shown here is Aug, Dec 05, Jan, Feb 06) Now for 2006 they've increased the rate €25 to €275 (€303 w/VAT).

Getting back to the fact that the Taste of Lux rate is now identical to the Holiday rate - you can currently see how the rates differed in the past. Like I said above, under the Feb 2006 Taste rate you see the €275 and likewise, under the Feb 2006 Holiday rate currently on view is the lesser €264 rate.

To me it's very interesting that this year there's a much bigger increase in the Taste rate (€275 to €303 w/VAT) and that the hotel has chosen to raise the Holiday rate even more (€264 to €303 w/VAT) keeping it equal to the Taste rate and eliminating the enticement of a longer stay.

Lastly, I'm also interested to watch how the addition of the Hotel Eden effects things. Currently with my sample dates used above of Dec 1 to Dec 9 both hotels show their lowest rate for a single at €270. And from most reviewers, the Hotel Eden is far superior. Interesting to see what the Excelsior does in light of this.

Like I said, I've always been fascinated by Revenue Management - but I probably just bored senseless whoever ends up reading this!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:49 pm
JBD

I was so busy typing I didn't notice that the Lurker responded!

Thanks - and thanks to your incredible Italian colleagues! I've noticed how quickly and helpfully they respond (I've been reading FT for ages, but usually don't post).

Well if they're phasing out the LC rates altogether then that explains it.

But is this assumption correct: if I were to book an 8 night stay from Dec 1 to Dec 9, single occupancy, Taste of Lux rate €275 before tax - then would I get 2 nights free?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JBD
...But is this assumption correct: if I were to book an 8 night stay from Dec 1 to Dec 9, single occupancy, Taste of Lux rate €275 before tax - then would I get 2 nights free?
I don't know, but I would be glad to pass along to them any email sent to me with any questions you, or anyone else, may have.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:04 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I don't know, but I would be glad to pass along to them any email sent to me with any questions you, or anyone else, may have.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Ok, so I'll email you.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Completely off topic, except that I thought it would interest someone contemplating a stay at the Excelsior in Rome--

Just completed a wonderful trip there and was so impressed by the nicest gift from management I've received at any Starwood hotel-- a beautiful book about Rome with overlays showing Rome past & present, plus a DVD.

The Starwoods in Italy are always such a pleasure-- it was our first visit to Rome but I'm certain we'll return.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:01 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Thanks

Originally Posted by damon88
Completely off topic, except that I thought it would interest someone contemplating a stay at the Excelsior in Rome--

Just completed a wonderful trip there and was so impressed by the nicest gift from management I've received at any Starwood hotel-- a beautiful book about Rome with overlays showing Rome past & present, plus a DVD.

The Starwoods in Italy are always such a pleasure-- it was our first visit to Rome but I'm certain we'll return.
Good to hear, I'll be staying here for 5 nights early next year.

Flyfarfar
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
I will be staying at the Excelsior in Rome, Florence and the Daneli in June and can't wait to see first hand how fabulous they are. William has graciously put in a word for me with the hotels and my husband and I are really looking forward to our first trip to Italy.

Thanks for everything William!!
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:40 am
JBD

Yes - you do get 2 nights free

I emailed the Lurker yesterday as he asked, but haven't heard back yet.

But I did just email the Luxury Collection with the question about the Taste of Luxury rate 4th night free offer in low season asking if I booked an 8 night stay would I get 2 nights free. And I heard back from them in minutes (impressive!).

Here's what they said:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your inquiry via the Luxury Collection.com website. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.

You would receive two free nights at the Westin Excelsior, Rome if booking under the terms and condition of the "Taste of Luxury" rate plan for the qualified dates (subject to availability). Please contact your nearest Customer Contact Center for this booking as there may be a requirement of two separate reservations in order to insure the proper rate calculation.

We appreciate your patronage of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. If you have any further customer service questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] .

Best Regards,
XXX
Old May 21, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Which Rome Hotel?

Trying to decide which property for a two night stay in October. Westin Excelsior (32k points) or Hotel Eden (50k points)? Thanks in advance for the advice
Old May 22, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
They are both very nice and

Originally Posted by Gabatta
Trying to decide which property for a two night stay in October. Westin Excelsior (32k points) or Hotel Eden (50k points)? Thanks in advance for the advice

They are only a few blocks away from each other. I personally would choose the Excelsior as it is a lovely hotel and while I am sure the Eden is too, I can't imagine it being so much nicer as to be worth the extra 18,000 points. My husband has stayed at the Eden and he said he does not believe the Eden is worth the extra points.

The location of both is terrific, in the neighborhood of the Via Veneto. An easy walk to the Spanish Steps and the Via Condotti. The concierges at the Excelsior are excellent. We have been returning to the Excelsior every year, sometimes twice, and we always have fantastic rooms and service.

Have fun!
Old May 22, 2006, 4:16 am

Talking

I have not stayed at these two hotels, but based on its location, I would chose the Eden over the Excelsior.
Old May 22, 2006, 9:19 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Excelsior was great to us. Upgraded us to 2 nice rooms-- gave us a beautiful overlay book on Rome as a gift, helped arrange a private tour guide.

Our trip was too short and I definitely look forward to returning there again.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
I agree with the Excelsior - it's a great hotel and I have a hard time seeing how the Eden could be worth so many more points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.