Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
DATA POINT:

Requested a transfer last Wednesday morning. Miles appeared in AA account Sunday morning.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
I just had to transfer a bunch of Starwood points in AA in several batches for a couple of RT tickets to Europe. Here is the time of each transaction and deposit.

7/29/2013 @ 8:51 am (Monday) - requested 40K (+10K) SPG transfer to AA
7/30/2013 @ 9:16 am (Tuesday) - requested 60K (+15K) SPG transfer to AA
7/31/2013 @ 7:45 am (Wednesday) – checked AA acct – 50K deposited
7/31/2013 @ 9:11 am (Wednesday) - requested 60K (+15K) SPG transfer to AA
8/01/2013 @ 11:01 am (Thursday) - requested 40K (+10K) SPG transfer to AA
8/04/2013 @ 9:00 am (Sunday) – checked AA acct – 200K deposited

Looks like points sweep into account early Wednesday and Sunday Mornings.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:52 pm

I transferred SPG to AA as such:

Sunday, Nov 17 at 5:48 PM PST -- 20k
Monday, Nov 18 at 8:49 PM PST -- 40k

So far (as of 1:30 PM PST on Wednesday, Nov 20), not in my AA account. Will update when they post.

--Fingers crossed they post before my award hold expires at 12:59 CET on Sunday.

UPDATE #1: 25k posted to my AA acct on Wed Nov 20 (sometime between 8 and 11 pm PST) ^

UPDATE #2: 50k posted to my AA acct on Thur Nov 21 (sometime before 7:30 am PST when I first checked) ^

3 days, not bad SPG/AA!!

Last edited by Aaron G; Nov 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat...basically all the status you can get for free...
data point

My experience may be unique given the Thanksgiving holiday. Nevertheless, I will pass along my experience. I initiated a transfer on Monday, Nov. 26. The points posted overnight and are now available on Sunday, Dec. 1. Just in time for my five-day hold on a FC award ticket from Sydney on Qantas. Lucky us!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:56 pm

Does anyone know by what time the miles post to AA on Sunday? I requested transfer on Tuesday. My itinerary hold expires today at midnight and the miles have not yet posted.

Is there any number I can call to check status on AA side or SPG side?

Last edited by mshah; Dec 8, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Did a transfer 30th dec (mon), as of 5th of jan, nothing showing.

Possibly being slow due to time of year. I'll advise when they post
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:46 am

I'm in the same boat as tangey. I need a total of 50k additional AA miles for an award that needs to be ticketed ASAP. I did two separate 20k (25k AA) transfers because I needed to wait for my Starwood Amex activity to post to my SPG account before I would have enough points for the second transfer. The Amex points posted to SPG on 12/30.

Transfer 1: Redeemed on 12/27, posted to AA on Monday, 12/30.
Transfer 2: Redeemed on 12/30, not yet posted.

I was hoping these would post Wednesday or Thursday based upon the experience of previous posters in this thread. Just hoping they didn't decide to simply skip the midweek posting altogether due to New Year's Day because my award reservation will expire again tomorrow night I'm and never sure if it will still be available to rebook. Flight is on 1/9 and the flights are half empty, but it is still getting a bit nerve wracking!

Edit: Hey look it's my 3000th post! Only took me 15 years.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:13 am

Still not posted. Guess they did simply skip the midweek posting entirely this week. Will need to cancel and rebook the award reservation tonight and hope the seats are returned to the award bucket or my plans will need to be reworked.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:23 am

I'm starting to get a little worried about this now that it has been a full week and still no miles have posted from the 12/30 transfer. I know they allow themselves more time to do these transfer than one week, but it typically only takes a few days.

AA extended the hold on my award reservations, but the first flight is in 3 days. If I use miles from my sister's account to ticket the award, AA Gold benefits will not apply and there will be about $200 in extra fees.

Has anyone had any success tracking down their transfers before waiting for the full 14 days?

Tangey, have your miles posted?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:57 pm

I'm in the same boat. I initiated my transfer on 12/28, but still haven't seen anything in my account.

Originally Posted by dhacker
I'm starting to get a little worried about this now that it has been a full week and still no miles have posted from the 12/30 transfer. I know they allow themselves more time to do these transfer than one week, but it typically only takes a few days.

AA extended the hold on my award reservations, but the first flight is in 3 days. If I use miles from my sister's account to ticket the award, AA Gold benefits will not apply and there will be about $200 in extra fees.

Has anyone had any success tracking down their transfers before waiting for the full 14 days?

Tangey, have your miles posted?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by dailow
I'm in the same boat. I initiated my transfer on 12/28, but still haven't seen anything in my account.
How did this turn out? I assume you all ended getting your points at some point?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:53 am

Data Point: I transferred around 11pm Tuesday night and had them in my AA account on Thursday (though I didn't check on Wed).
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SugarLime
Data Point: I transferred around 11pm Tuesday night and had them in my AA account on Thursday (though I didn't check on Wed).
Aw jeez, it seems almost random.

There's an AA award I'd like to book. I just transferred the necessary SPG points to AA. If I go on the website to book, I'd get a 3 day hold, right? That seems too risky. I assume it's not possible to extend that deadline with AA if the points don't post in time? I'm looking to book a partner flight.

EDIT: From what I'm reading, it looks like I'd get to hold an aa.com award rez for 5 days. That seems fairly safe, as long as the SPG transfer gods are smiling on me.

EDIT 2: Well, my Wednesday night EDT transfer posted by Friday morning EDT. I didn't look yesterday. That's pretty reasonable, especially since they give a 5-day award hold.

Last edited by iahphx; Feb 21, 2014 at 8:22 am Reason: more
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Initiated transfer Monday 1030AM Eastern. Miles in AA account by Tuesday evening.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
This is really surprising!

I had to make two one-way bookings: one on UA and one on AA. Transferred Chase UR Points over to UA account and refreshed my in-process UA booking and they were there. Took maybe 10 seconds. To be fair, I've done this numerous times transferring UR points to UA or WN and it usually takes 10 minutes, not 10 seconds, so it was faster than usual this time.

This is the first time I've transferred SPG points to an airline as I prefer to save them for hotel awards, but it's an emergency and I need to make a booking. So I initiated the transfer of 20,000 points from SPG to AA. A little over an hour later as I'm constantly refreshing the AA screen, still nothing. I call SPG they told me 7-10 business days!! Holy cow! Meaning it could be the week after next before the points arrive from SPG! Because of the tight timeline, now I have to book with cash that I don't have and will have 25,000 AA points in my account that I don't really plan on using (I would 1,000% rather have 20,000 SPG points than 25,000 AA points).

The phone rep was nice and I checked SPG's AA page and it does state 7-10 business days, so it's indeed on me for using SPG instead of figuring out a way to do it with Chase, but dang! The discrepancy in transfer times between UR and SPG is enormous. Quite surprised as I've been satisfied with SPG in all other respects.

Just thought I would vent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.