Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Exclamation FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

How long does it take to transfer Starwood points to AAdvantage? I put my request in yesterday via computer and they were deducted from Starwood account. How long til they appear in my AA account? Need for ticket booked. Thanks...
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:21 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Duke5150
How long does it take to transfer Starwood points to AAdvantage? I put my request in yesterday via computer and they were deducted from Starwood account. How long til they appear in my AA account? Need for ticket booked. Thanks...
Officially, it can take up to 14 days; maybe longer, if something goes wrong.

Unofficially, YMMV.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks William, but what does YMMY mean? And, what has been your experience? I was told the official time.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Thanks William, but what does YMMY mean? And, what has been your experience? I was told the official time.
I've never transferred to anyone but Continental Airlines OnePass. That took about three years and never actually went through. Trust me, this is a long story.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

I'm sure there are lots of folks that can speculate based on what their actual transfer time to AA is, but I prefer to just give the official number of days, provided there are no problems.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:00 pm

For me it takes a week, max.

This is with AA, I don't know about other airlines.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:14 pm

I transferred points to American AAdvantage the night of 10 January through the SPG Platinum line. They were posted to my AAdvantage account by 15 January (it may have been earlier but I wasn't able to check my account late Friday and Saturday).
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT | HHonors Gold | Starwood Gold*
Talking

i recently transferred/redeemed 20,000 SPG points for 25,000 AA miles. It took a little over a week ^
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:14 pm

My experiences have ranged from a couple of days to, perhaps, ten days at the most. I imagine that the transfers are made in batches every so often, and the speed of any given transfer depends upon when a request happens to fall in this cycle.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:45 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
observer's post is accurate; it is hit or miss as to how fast they ultimately post in your AA account, and I concur it can take "same day" or up to 10 days or thereabouts, simply based on what dayou make the tranfer relative to when AA posts the batch. My understanding, and belief, based on multiple transfers this past year, is that starwood "executes" the transfer immediately, usually while you are on the phone...but the transfer apparently sits in some sort of "que" until the respective airline gets the data from starwood and then posts it. W/ AA I've had them post the same day I called spg and initiated the transfer, and other times its taken about 10 days.

FWIW< there is an expedited process which costs a couple of thousand starpoints...and I think starwood "guarantees" the points transfer in 3 or so business days.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:34 am

The last time I transferred miles to AA, it definitely worked within the 2 week period that I could put the award reservation on hold for.

I just transferred miles to AA again yesterday for a potential award reservation, so I will let you know. I'm hoping for quick clearance once again!
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Do you know if the AA website account point balance is updated in real time or each evening?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:04 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Transfers to AA

Anyone know how long this takes (beyond the 2-4 weeks listed on website)?

Bonus Q: Can I transfer to somebody else than myself?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:40 am

SPG transfers to my AAccount have taken anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks. As for your bonus Q, I don't think you can transfer your SPG points to someone else's AAccount (I think they want the names to match), but you could certainly ask your friend to open a new SPG account and transfer your SPG points there, so that your friend can transfer them to his/her AAccount.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
thnx

Thanks Honu, that is good advice. I gather then that you can freely donate Sstarwood points to other Starwood members?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Thanks Honu, that is good advice. I gather then that you can freely donate Sstarwood points to other Starwood members?
Er, no. Only if they have the same mailing address as you do.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.