Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONE with SPG/Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I in fact went years without an Aadvantage account because I didn't bother doing a number of 'simple' things to get one set up
I probably took 5 transatlantic round trips before I joined an FFP. The FA would walk through the cabin with paper applications, even saying "this flight will count", but I assumed that "frequent" flier meant you had to be a business traveler for it to matter at all. The only reason I joined was because I was so bored on a flight, I wanted to look at the pamphlet. So I filled it out for grins, and started getting snail-mail offers. Partner bonuses, route bonuses, status pretty easy to hit, all sorts of everyday ways to earn tons of miles. It was TWA Aviators (or Ambassadors?) Club - pretty lucrative program in its day. That's basically where I caught this whole bug, but I still lament those 4-5 R/Ts that went to waste.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... I've missed dates to get my daughter to dance rehearsals because I "didn't do a simple quick check on the facebook to get the most recent dates", I've missed awesome deals at Lowes because "I didn't simply open the ad" that week, I in fact went years without an Aadvantage account because I didn't bother doing a number of 'simple' things to get one set up (I tried a few times online, but kept getting an error message that I was already registered. I'd forget about it and carry on, too busy and not caring enough to do it, but then early last year, I finally made the simple call and found that I was getting the error message because someone else with my exact name already had an account and she had to override it). I didn't think it mattered much, but since I recreated my flight history, I've found I'd be 17% on my way to million miler/lifetime gold by now instead of the 3% I currently am. Anyways, calling someone 'disengaged' for not knowing the ins and outs and particulars is a rather bold statement imo. We are all busy, and can't expect everyone to share their free time the same way we do. SPG, quite frankly, doesn't care how often you check your account history compared to someone else.
You have a point, but one could just as easily argue, "I don't look at every speed limit sign I drive by, officer."

If something is important to someone, whether it's PLT status or avoiding a speeding ticket, it's incumbent to become and stay informed about the rules and requirements.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:12 pm

Don't take "No" for an answer

If it were me, I would keep calling or emailing until I got someone who could make a reasonable decision. Keep going till you get to the CEO. I've done it a number of times and sometimes it does not get resolved until it gets to the top.

Last edited by DonFlynn; Mar 10, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that no individual is ever as important as we pretend to be. But if you have said customer on the phone, at that moment in time, the company should treat good customers well. I think that means giving an exception to the law of the land, even if he is throwing a hissy fit DYKWIA argument.

And as for your second comment, you are referring to a luxury of time and projecting how someone should prioritize their time. Do we spend time on FT and elite programs? Yes, we make it a hobby, but we shouldn't expect every elite traveler to check their status-earning all the time and keeping up with every change or lack thereof in these programs. I might know my exact number of nights and points I have to elite status(and lifetime status) with right now, but there are lots of other aspects of my life where I get chastised for not doing some 'simple' thing. -aka- I've missed dates to get my daughter to dance rehearsals because I "didn't do a simple quick check on the facebook to get the most recent dates", I've missed awesome deals at Lowes because "I didn't simply open the ad" that week, I in fact went years without an Aadvantage account because I didn't bother doing a number of 'simple' things to get one set up (I tried a few times online, but kept getting an error message that I was already registered. I'd forget about it and carry on, too busy and not caring enough to do it, but then early last year, I finally made the simple call and found that I was getting the error message because someone else with my exact name already had an account and she had to override it). I didn't think it mattered much, but since I recreated my flight history, I've found I'd be 17% on my way to million miler/lifetime gold by now instead of the 3% I currently am. Anyways, calling someone 'disengaged' for not knowing the ins and outs and particulars is a rather bold statement imo. We are all busy, and can't expect everyone to share their free time the same way we do. SPG, quite frankly, doesn't care how often you check your account history compared to someone else.
I never compared programs carefully to maximize returns and elite status until maybe 15-20 years ago. I also didn't realize that you could ask for status match or challenge so I actually earned Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat separately. I also reached 1MM on US Air and got exactly nothing before I switched to UA. I could be 2MM LT on UA and LT Plat by now if I hadn't wasted 1MM on US. I have only myself to blame, if I'm placing blame, for not having enjoyed more benefits over the years.

The whole point is, if you want to play the game, then pay attention to the rules. As pinniped analyzed, you have to try very hard with 100+ nights to not attain Plat on SPG ot MR. That's why it's difficult to sympathize when OP then blames Marriott rather than kicking himself for missing the details.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's hard to rebuild a bridge that you've already burned down.

I'd say that was true of Gold Passport, but World of Hyatt is driving away top-level elites in droves.
Your handle should read a "commenting legend" not a posting legend.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by dunno282
little use in the real world? Not sure what kind of philosophy is in your real world. As an adult, I will absolutely ask/request for rules to be bent but my expectations are not that it is mandatory. Only a child would throw a tantrum because they asked for a FAVOR and didn't get it.

Do you think it's right if your friend asked you for a favor but you said NO and he/she gets mad, blames you and didn't want to be friends with you anymore.
It doesn't matter what your reactions to a 'no' to your request that the rules be bent in your favor are - the fact is that customers vote with their wallet all the time. and if you are a customer with a big wallet, the logic that 'the rules are the rules' is questionable at best when there is the risk that a vendor might lose your business.

This isn't about how friends interact, this isn't about acting like an adult, this is about the reality of doing business. And some times you *should* do things in business that you might not have to do.

Case in point: In this thread there was a guy who said he just barely missed 100 nights so he didn't have the *right* to ask spg for an exception to keep his ambassador. I think he has the right to ask. they also have the right to say 'no' and he has the right to consider where his next booking will be in light of their response. Thats just my opinion though. My second example: About a year ago I had a dispute over an issue and spg told me 'the rules are the rules' in their response. I said I'd walk and they changed their mind. I stayed a happy customer and they have probably got 100 night from me since that happened. I go out of my way to stay at spg properties, even when they arent the best choice for me. The matter was resolved as a win/win.

My point to all of this? An over reliance on the rules is counterproductive at times. In the real world you need to adapt to various possibilities that might seem to be clear cut in light of the rules, but often times are anything but when considering the bigger picture. Dont forget the whole point to loyalty programs is a structured way of getting special perks to certain customers. Some might call that breaking the rules - or a non elite customer would surely think so when an elite gets a property to overbook and they cant
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stant
It doesn't matter what your reactions to a 'no' to your request that the rules be bent in your favor are - the fact is that customers vote with their wallet all the time. and if you are a customer with a big wallet, the logic that 'the rules are the rules' is questionable at best when there is the risk that a vendor might lose your business.

This isn't about how friends interact, this isn't about acting like an adult, this is about the reality of doing business. And some times you *should* do things in business that you might not have to do.

Case in point: In this thread there was a guy who said he just barely missed 100 nights so he didn't have the *right* to ask spg for an exception to keep his ambassador. I think he has the right to ask. they also have the right to say 'no' and he has the right to consider where his next booking will be in light of their response. Thats just my opinion though. My second example: About a year ago I had a dispute over an issue and spg told me 'the rules are the rules' in their response. I said I'd walk and they changed their mind. I stayed a happy customer and they have probably got 100 night from me since that happened. I go out of my way to stay at spg properties, even when they arent the best choice for me. The matter was resolved as a win/win.

My point to all of this? An over reliance on the rules is counterproductive at times. In the real world you need to adapt to various possibilities that might seem to be clear cut in light of the rules, but often times are anything but when considering the bigger picture. Dont forget the whole point to loyalty programs is a structured way of getting special perks to certain customers. Some might call that breaking the rules - or a non elite customer would surely think so when an elite gets a property to overbook and they cant
like i said in my previous comment. you have every right to ask/request the rules to be bent or threaten to leave. you definitely should do that. just don't put the blame on SPG if they don't though. At the end of the day it's a favor you are asking for. Again with the business stuff. Their "elite" customers are relative to what they consider elite. Maybe a 100 night customer is no big deal to them. You only "just" made it to PLAT100. Maybe their top 10% elites stay over 200 nights consistently. You can't just assume that it's bad business for SPG to not give him an exception. Maybe they've done the math and decided it's not worth it.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Case in point: In this thread there was a guy who said he just barely missed 100 nights so he didn't have the *right* to ask spg for an exception to keep his ambassador. I think he has the right to ask. they also have the right to say 'no' and he has the right to consider where his next booking will be in light of their response. Thats just my opinion though.
i think you may be referring to my post....you are correct, i do have the right to ask....what i meant by my post is that i am not entitled to it & i definitely won't walk away from spg if they said 'no' to such a request....i didn't meet the criteria last year & i've simply lost out on a benefit that comes with meeting that criteria....not the end of the world....i've already got 50+ nights booked in 2018 & we still haven't finished the first quarter of the year so i'm easily on track to earn back my ambassador at some point this year....
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
like i said in my previous comment. you have every right to ask/request the rules to be bent or threaten to leave. you definitely should do that. just don't put the blame on SPG if they don't though. At the end of the day it's a favor you are asking for. Again with the business stuff. Their "elite" customers are relative to what they consider elite. Maybe a 100 night customer is no big deal to them. You only "just" made it to PLAT100. Maybe their top 10% elites stay over 200 nights consistently. You can't just assume that it's bad business for SPG to not give him an exception. Maybe they've done the math and decided it's not worth it.
Of course I can assume it is bad for business, both in this context and in general terms. Remember I made that post in reference to a member who stayed 1000 nights - one THOUSAND nights in 3 years. THREE years. With absolutely no inside knowledge of the spg program I will bet you anything you like that such a customer does more business with all but an infinitesimally small number of members. Remember the cost of comping spg100 benefits is essentially nil. It's not like they are going to hire extra ambassadors. But the potential risk if it made the customer walk is significant. Even at the cost of the cheapest SPG properties we are talking about $65k spend in 3 years. In all likelihood it far exceeded that. Thats a good chunk of revenue for a company, even one as big as starwoods. And in more general terms, when we are talking about the upper levels of elite tiers, we are talking about customers who by default are among the most coveted by the industry. thats why the thresholds for these tiers are where they are. If someone only makes it to 95% of the threshold they are pretty much the sort of customer you really want, even if they didnt quite cross that mark. Think about it - what sense would it make to give the world to a customer who stays 101 nights a year, and yet alienate one who spends 99 nights?

Poll a bunch of frequent travelers and I guarantee you that doing special little perks for their loyal guests would be high on the list of desirable traits for any program. Be it a freebie room upgrade, a surprise bottle of wine in the room - or yes, bending the rules such as we are discussing here.

am I saying that guests should always be accommodated regardless of their demand? Of course not. I'm saying that 'the rules are the rules' is a shortsighted policy that has little use int he real world.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
But did they really mean "the rules are the rules" as is being asserted here or "we don't think we want to make an exception in this case", which seems rather more likely?
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Of course I can assume it is bad for business, both in this context and in general terms. Remember I made that post in reference to a member who stayed 1000 nights - one THOUSAND nights in 3 years. THREE years. With absolutely no inside knowledge of the spg program I will bet you anything you like that such a customer does more business with all but an infinitesimally small number of members. Remember the cost of comping spg100 benefits is essentially nil. It's not like they are going to hire extra ambassadors. But the potential risk if it made the customer walk is significant..
333 nights / year

If he book 3 nights stay at 111 different hotels every year then he become nobody in 333 different hotels

If he book 333 nights at 1 hotels each year then he will have better treatment than a LTP Ambassador even without him even joining SPG program
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
But did they really mean "the rules are the rules" as is being asserted here or "we don't think we want to make an exception in this case", which seems rather more likely?
Telling a customer 'the rules are the rules' when you mean 'sorry, not in this case' is even worse imho - because then you are giving the impression that the request is falling on deaf ears and there is no flexibility. As a loyal customer i much rather hear that the company considered by request and cant grant it at this time, then simply getting a response of 'the rules are the rules'. Often times just the appearance of caring on the part of a business clan go a long way to ameliorating a customer's frustrations whereas an uncaring response is only going to be viewed negatively.

Originally Posted by kaizen7
333 nights / year

If he book 3 nights stay at 111 different hotels every year then he become nobody in 333 different hotels

If he book 333 nights at 1 hotels each year then he will have better treatment than a LTP Ambassador even without him even joining SPG program
The scenario in question is considering the customers relation to the SPG program, not a particular property. SPG doesnt care what property you book at, as long as it's one of theirs.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
If someone only makes it to 95% of the threshold they are pretty much the sort of customer you really want, even if they didnt quite cross that mark. Think about it - what sense would it make to give the world to a customer who stays 101 nights a year, and yet alienate one who spends 99 nights?
so basically you're saying that the real qualification to PLT100 is 99, oh but 98 is so close to 99, oh but 97 is so close to 98, oh but 96 is so close to 97, oh but 95 is so close to 96, oh but 94 is so close to 95, oh but 93 is so close to 94, oh but 92 is so close to 93, oh but 91 is so close to 92, oh but 90 is so close to 91, oh but 89 is so close to 90...etc where does it stop? with your logic then all of the people in that range should get PLT100 so they don't alienate ones that are SO close to PLT100. With an increased risk of alienating the PLT100 customers that actually have 100+ nights.
minz56 likes this.

Last edited by dunno282; Mar 16, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
so basically you're saying that the real qualification to PLT100 is 99, oh but 98 is so close to 99, oh but 97 is so close to 98, oh but 96 is so close to 97, oh but 95 is so close to 96, oh but 94 is so close to 95, oh but 93 is so close to 94, oh but 92 is so close to 93, oh but 91 is so close to 92, oh but 90 is so close to 91, oh but 89 is so close to 90...etc where does it stop? with your logic then all of the people in that range should get PLT100 so they don't alienate ones that are SO close to PLT100. With an increased risk of alienating the PLT100 customers that actually have 100+ nights.
I think basically what he's saying is that modern loyalty programs are likely purpose built with a fudge factor of some kind. There is an "official" number of nights or points or flights or frappucinos needed to score the Unicorn level of status; and then there is the internal, secret, subject-to-fuzziness-and-context number, depending on how the company perceives the customer, how the customer asks for an exception, etc.

"Grace" is an amorphous, emotional thing. You can't quantify it on a spreadsheet the way you can 100.00000 nights or 25,000.000000 miles.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I would say no. What he is saying is that 99 is close enough to 100 to consider an exception, and 98 may be close enough to 100 to consider an exception, and 97 perhaps maybe is close enough to 100 to grant an exception, and 96 is perhaps/maybe/it really depends is close enough to 100 to grant an exception, and 95 is welllllll I can see in certain rare cases is close enough to 100 to make an exception. 100 is where the line in the sand is to guarantee your benefits, anything less than that gets progressively thinner with regards to exceptions but the line itself of 100 nights doesn't move. That is how, I would argue, a -great- program sees and treats these thresholds. 100 nights is what SPG wants for PLT100, but they have every right, and should have every reason, to retain normally re-occurring elites that might miss that mark by a little on an odd year.

This is an old argument about rules are rules people vs honor the spirit over the letter people. These fights come up all the time in work, politics, and yes, travel rewards programs. Perhaps it is something that is hardwired in us at a certain age through how we are treated in certain experiences in our formative years. I don't know. But I think we can recognize our differences and at some point let this thread die.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.